Dilution of Ammonia/gallon to Sterilize cages.

Nicodemayo

Avid Member
So I am in the process of doing a deep cleaning, and I am using Ammonia to clean and disinfect "questionable" cages. I got one of those garden sprayers that allows you to adjust the rate per gallon X chemical is dispensed. What rate per gallon is appropriate to disinfect cages with Ammonia? I also have a gallon of chlorhexidine solution but I know it doesn't kill coccidia but I use it for general maintenance, and I would prefer to not waste it by blasting out the hose on lots of cages if it doesn't even kill everything. Any suggestions?

I would love to know this as well!! So please pass along this information or i'll be force to have Trogdor rain down the drop-kicks.

3627422065_e01d95800c.jpg

May I suggest vinegar, eco friendly and it kills everything.

Take a look at "http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7"
for amounts and usage.

I clean everything with it, I have a way of messing up with ammonia and I am not allowed to even look at chlorine.

Research if vinegar will kill coccidia, it does.
Vinegar will not kill every strain of Coccidia. If you can find viable proof that it will, I would love to read your source. I have delt with coccidia before an I personally use 40 volume hydrogen peroxide to clean everything. Just don't get it on your skin. You can clean the cages inside because there aren't the fumes associated with bleach or ammonia. If you are dealing with coccidia i would break down the cages and completely clean them, and don't re use your plants.

See ya,

Todd

Jpc, I have done some digging around to find out if that is indeed true but I haven't come upon anything. Please enlighten me and direct me to where you have collected that information.

Edit- Doh juli and todd beat me to it!

I might need to eat a little crow here, but vinegar and hydrogen peroxide as disinfectant is the process. Spray with vinegar and let dry then with peroxide and wait for a few minutes. Wash item with flood of water to remove residue. I am just a clean freak and this combination will work. Like I said earlier I am not allowed to touch ammonia and clorine in any fashion, have caused some bad situations in my past. Another point, ammonia is never good for alum cages or wire if this is what you have.

Use to brew beer with a friend of mine who was a chem engineer told me this, we cleaned everything with it before brewing and soaked recycled bottles in it as well.

Back
Top Bottom