Digging and on the ground...New cage? Eggs? Hunting?

Betta_Koi

Hi y'all
Kodak (veiled chameleon, female) finally got a new cage but she crawls to the ground and digs up her substrate in the back left corner. She's got a laying pot with plants in it so I don't know what she's doing. Here's her specs for cage, heating and eatting:
• It's a glass 18 x 18 x 36 screen top, vented front (I live in a desert environment making it nearly impossible to keep humidity with a screened cage).
• She's a potted dracaena plant, substrate planted aloe, some kind of climbing plant and a few succulents as well as a hydro ball layer seperated from the substrate by mesh.
• Midlevel temp is about 73°F and gets up to 90°F the higher she climbs.
• I spray her down 2-3 times daily since I'm saving up for a humidifier set up.
• She gets dusted crickets and super worms every other day, and non-dusted the rest of the time.
• She's got a heat light and a UVB 5.0 light on in the day and a ceramic heat emitter at night.
• She's warm enough to digest and poop regularly and she has been gravid before.

She doesn't look bloated or anything so I don't know why she's digging. She seems fascinated with one of the succulents and has completely destroyed it either by digging or just chewing on it. Should I be worried? Some of her worms fall out of the trees and she loves to hunt I'm just not sure how bad being on the ground is for her. Do I need to be giving her fruit as well as bugs? Will Veils dig for their prey? Could she be trying to cool down?I'm still really new to this chameleon thing...Please help.

If she's not digging in the lay bin provided it may not be an optimal lay site for her and she's trying to find the best place to lay.

When was the last time she laid eggs? How many did she lay? Fertile or infertile?
What's the substrate? What's the succulent she's into?

$3 succulent from Lowe's. Didn't have a name on it and I originally got it for my Praying Mantis.
She layed 25 infertile eggs the night of December 17th 2017
Substrate is Eco Earth
Is laying a monthly thing?

Attachments

• 20180123_125451.jpg
    20180123_125451.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 163
No egglaying is not monthly for infertile eggs....laying infertile eggs is about every 120 days. Perfect number of eggs!
I hope the plant is nontoxic and that you washed it well before using it.
Is she eating the eco earth?
What's in the bird cage?

She might just be trying to get out.

Diamond Dove; she's on the side closest to him most of the time. So I don't think it's him. She was back in her trees when I came home from work yesterday so I'm a little less worried. I looked up her plants before I got them and nothing dangerous came up. She's shedding her back legs, could that be a factor? She's very well fed and
doesn't appear to be eatting the Eco Earth. The canopy temperature is actually closer to 80° then 90°. I was guestimating but I forgot that her lights are a much lower wattage then my Beardie's.
I always wind up with the weird and quirky critters (i.e. rabbit that charges/growls, a very angry dove, Bearded Dragon that likes cat food, Gerbil that attacks rather then hides from my cats) so I'm just trying to ascertain what is normal, what's not and what is just her.

Diamond Dove; she's on the side closest to him most of the time. So I don't think it's him. She was back in her trees when I came home from work yesterday so I'm a little less worried. I looked up her plants before I got them and nothing dangerous came up. She's shedding her back legs, could that be a factor? She's very well fed and
doesn't appear to be eatting the Eco Earth. The canopy temperature is actually closer to 80° then 90°. I was guestimating but I forgot that her lights are a much lower wattage then my Beardie's.
I always wind up with the weird and quirky critters (i.e. rabbit that charges/growls, a very angry dove, Bearded Dragon that likes cat food, Gerbil that attacks rather then hides from my cats) so I'm just trying to ascertain what is normal, what's not and what is just her.

Back
Top Bottom