Diego Suarez nightmare!

Daz

ok i have a breeding pair of diego Suarez of mature age who wont breed!
if i put them near each other they wanna tear each other apart - frustrating thing is if i show them alternative panther chameleons they seem a little more interested.

the worst of the pair has to be the male who will just not tolerate the female at all - he hisses gapes and charges her whereas she will just flare up and head swing at him and she also does this to my other males in a less extreme way.

i've increased temps and humidity as reccomended by a friend and thus far no joy, they are currently in the garden basking and i have placed their cages near so they can see each other and try to get some mutual reaction from them - no joy yet anyone have any further ideas?

You said..."i have a breeding pair of diego Suarez of mature age who wont breed! if i put them near each other they wanna tear each other apart - frustrating thing is if i show them alternative panther chameleons they seem a little more interested. the worst of the pair has to be the male who will just not tolerate the female at all - he hisses gapes and charges her whereas she will just flare up and head swing at him and she also does this to my other males in a less extreme way"...is the female dark and intense in color? If she is gaping, hissing, lunging and turned dark in color, she is not receptive. You said they are mature age....how old is that? I don't recommend breeding them before the female is a year old. Sounds like the male is showing aggressive behavior to her because she is not receptive.

You said..."i have placed their cages near so they can see each other and try to get some mutual reaction from them"...you will be stressing them both out by allowing them to see each other with no way to get out of site of each other if the female is not receptive. If she's showing non-receptive, then I would make sure they can't see each other and try to put them together again in a few days or so.

the female does seem to be showing slightly darker colouration but at the same time she can display receptive colouration - also the cages were only placed next to each other while they were in the garden - not 24/7 as in my set ups which are completely seperate.

seems to have worked too because the male was head bobbing - a first for me to see him doing this, also from experience i've never seen a male go for a female agressively receptive or not each time they've head bobbed to mate with her.

shes deffinately not ready either way that much i've discovered oh and they are both atleast 15 months old now i got them around 3 months old back in march last year from Hamm.

Breeding

Hi Definatly keep them separated what your seeing is the male wanting to mate a none receptive female and hes getting frustrated and wanting to attack. Try to introduce the female into the males enclosure in a week or so . Good Luck hope it works out for you

I'm pretty sure that the head bobbing is a sign of agressiveness and not receptiveness. I've seen clips of fighting chams on youtube and they do the head bob right before they start biting eachother.

Hi I have the same problem with my Ambilobe Panther too. Here is how i do it ...... I place them together brifely everyday and lenghten the accomodation each time. I start with about 10 second....tilll almost 30 minutes to 1 hour after i try to place them together for 3 weeks. Then the male start having interest in the female and the female turn calm.... and thats when the mating happens!!

dont worry guys im not a completely irresponsible moron im not gonna place the female in to get on with it, my question was merely ideas on how to get them to mate - not on husbandry or other methods, and thanks pohchunyee i've been doing that gradually and it seems to be working because yesterday in the sun he was head bobbing her which is great news so hopefully she will be ready soon.

thanks again for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom