Did You Know?

Daddio53

Not all chameleons are hatched from eggs! Jackson Chameleons, also known as Three Horned Chameleons carry their young to live birth with 6-30 babies born in a clutch after a 5-6 month gestation period. The sub-species, Dwarf Jackson's Chameleon gives birth to only 5-10 young.

All other Chameleon species lay eggs.

All other Chameleon species lay eggs.

Not entirely true. The Elliot's Chameleons also give birth to live offspring. I find it awesome that there are some exceptions to the rule :)

This may not be true, but I did once read that if the conditions are right for egg laying (really warm) then they will do that instead. But typically they will produce live babies.

Last edited:
Tricerous hoenellis also give live birth.

And for the record, some Veileds can have more than 30 eggs. My female laid 38 eggs and all were fertile. Some have laid 50 plus.

Not entirely true. The Elliot's Chameleons also give birth to live offspring. Although if the conditions are right for egg laying (really warm) then they will do that instead. But typically they will produce live babies. I find it awesome that there are some exceptions to the rule :)

Is this true? I have never heard of this. Very cool if it is.

These species give live birth.

Bradypodion atromontanum
Bradypodion caeruleogula
Bradypodion caffer
Bradypodion damaranum
Bradypodion dracomontanum
Bradypodion gutturale
Bradypodion kentanicum
Bradypodion melanocephalum
Bradypodion nemorale
Bradypodion nkandlae
Bradypodion occidentale
Bradypodion pumilum
Bradypodion setaroi
Bradypodion taeniabronchum
Bradypodion thamnobates
Bradypodion transvaalense
Bradypodion ventrale

Trioceros affinis
Trioceros balebicornutus
Trioceros bitaeniatus
Trioceros ellioti
Trioceros fuelleborni
Trioceros goetzei
Trioceros harennae
Trioceros hoehnelii
Trioceros incornutus
Trioceros jacksonii
Trioceros kinetensis
Trioceros laterispinis
Trioceros marsabitensis
Trioceros narraioca
Trioceros ntunte
Trioceros rudis
Trioceros schoutedeni
Trioceros schubotzi
Trioceros sternfeldi
Trioceros tempeli
Trioceros werneri

I to have not heard of the Trioceros ellioti giving birth and laying eggs depending on temperatures. Can someone point me to that information?

I to have not heard of the Trioceros ellioti giving birth and laying eggs depending on temperatures. Can someone point me to that information?

I have read it somewhere... if I find the location I will let you know! It might have been false information what I did end up reading, but I know I did read it :)

::EDIT::

I cannot for the life of me figure out where I read it :( I remember reading it on one source while looking up ellioti information to make sure Marimo was well taken care of. I will change my post from before to reflect that it might not be true to avoid possible false information from spreading!

Last edited:
I have read it somewhere... if I find the location I will let you know! It might have been false information what I did end up reading, but I know I did read it :)

::EDIT::

I cannot for the life of me figure out where I read it :( I remember reading it on one source while looking up ellioti information to make sure Marimo was well taken care of. I will change my post from before to reflect that it might not be true to avoid possible false information from spreading!

If you ever find an article on this, I would love to read it. I did a search and found nothing.

Back
Top Bottom