did something happen to his tounge?

He is very trusting of me when I feed him. I can also hold the cricket by it's back end (it pees on me, but whatever) and he'll eat it from my fingers, even an inch or so away from his mouth. He cares more about his food than he does me being that close to him. If I didn't have a feeder for him, that wouldn't be happening !
I hand feed or cup feed all of mine.

I hand feed or cup feed all of mine.
He won't eat from a cup. I'm not sure why not 🤔 I left him 7 crickets yesterday (ripped off their back legs so they couldn't jump out) and he just looked at them. When I got home later, I fed them to him by hand and he ate them all like he was starving to death! 🤷🏼‍♀️

Cup feed would be a good way of slowly rehabilitate the tongue, you can increase the distance to shoot incrementally. Perhaps try a few different cups/vessels,
I just hold calciworms and medium silkworms in my palm now to do a range check (its actually quite something as i used to have massive phobia of maggots 😆) i also have a cup low in cage for worms and a run cup up top for staples.

SeriouslyFinding a good knowledgeable vet in the situation you faced was the best thing to do & happy to hear it isnt a illness rather a one of those one off freak accidents hope you're chameleon makes a full recovery 💚

Cup feed would be a good way of slowly rehabilitate the tongue, you can increase the distance to shoot incrementally. Perhaps try a few different cups/vessels,
I just hold calciworms and medium silkworms in my palm now to do a range check (its actually quite something as i used to have massive phobia of maggots 😆) i also have a cup low in cage for worms and a run cup up top for staples.

SeriouslyFinding a good knowledgeable vet in the situation you faced was the best thing to do & happy to hear it isnt a illness rather a one of those one off freak accidents hope you're chameleon makes a full recovery 💚
Thank you so much! I hope he does too!

Haha that's funny! I don't have a fear of worms, but roaches is story! Not gonna touch those things, no way, no how!!

I was actually using wax worms and super worms (1 a day) to try to get him onto my hand (he has trust issues) . The problem got to be that his reach was so good that I had to hold my hand so far away that he got suspicious!

I will try some other types of cups, and use wax worms or something, I just don't want him to miss and get the cup instead, hurting his tongue 😔

No it wasn't. His tongue is swollen from an apparent Hornworm bite. He can't even shoot it out anymore. This happened so fast, and I took him to "the best" after hours clinic, over an hour away, on a Saturday, in the rain, spent over $200, and they missed it!

No one on here had any feedback. I took him to a different country vet yesterday who found the problem.

No antibiotics needed. He's in pain. I don't even know if he'll get the use of tongue back or not which absolutely breaks my heart
I hope your Cham recovers. Same thing happened to my 7 months old panther. I feed him 1 smallmedium horn worm and next day he was so sick. He was checked by the vet same day. Unfortunately he never recovered. I did everything I could to save him :(. 10 days later I decided to euthanize him. I still miss my little Cebu

I hope your Cham recovers. Same thing happened to my 7 months old panther. I feed him 1 smallmedium horn worm and next day he was so sick. He was checked by the vet same day. Unfortunately he never recovered. I did everything I could to save him :(. 10 days later I decided to euthanize him. I still miss my little Cebu
I'm sorry to hear that! They are so hard to lose 😢

My little Snog seems to have the full use of his tongue back, so I'm very thankful I found the right vet.

I am terribly sorry for your loss though 😔

Back
Top Bottom