Did he learn his lesson?

ChamDE86

Avid Member
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?----<b>6 month old male Ambilobe in my care for approximately 2 months.</b>
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?----<b>Roughly once a day to take him to his free ranging spot for about an hour.</b>
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?----<b>Crickets, dubias, silkworms, hornworms, superworms, butterworms, phoenix worms, and mealworms.<\b>
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?----<b>Repashy's Calcium Plus and Dinofuel 5-6 times a week.</b>
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?----<b>Hand misting for approx 1-2 minutes 3-4 times a day and running a dripper for about 1 1/2 hour after each misting session.</b>
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?----<b>White urates with firm brown feces. Never been tested for parasites.</b>
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.----<b>N\A<\b>

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?----<b>2X2X4 Repti-breeze</b>
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?----<b>18" Reptisun 5.0 Fluorescent tube and 60W incandescent bulb.</b>
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?----<b>Basking is about 86 degrees. Bottom of the cage is about 70 degrees. Night temps about 66 degrees. All measured with a digital and analog thermometer.</b>
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?----<b>Humidity levels 40-80% with analog reader.</b>
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?----<b>No live plants at the moment. Using all fake plants.</b>
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?----<b>In the corner of my room which is a very low traffic area. Cage sits on a 2 foot tall stand.</b>
Location - Where are you geographically located?----<b>Delaware</b>

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.----

<b>I saw my cham fall from the top of the cage, all the way down to the bottom (about 4 foot drop). He laid there for a bit on all 4 sprawled out. After about 30 seconds, I was able to get him to crawl onto my hand. After a quick inspection, I found that everything seems to be in working order and nothing looked out of the ordinary. His nails were fine and his grip wasn't weak. I put him back in his cage and about 5 minutes later, I hear him hit the bottom of the cage again, in the same general area. Once again, I get him to crawl on my hand for a check up and everything appears normal. Not wanting to take a chance on a 3rd fall, I place some bubble wrap on the bottom of his cage. He has yet to fall since (knock on wood). I don't feel like anything is wrong with him health wise. He use to climb all over the cage when he was smaller, but now that he is a bit bigger, I think he may have realized that it is no longer a walk in the park. Do you guys think he has learned his lesson on climbing the screen? I may keep the bubble wrap there for a couple of days to be on the safe side.</b>

I believe that it thinks it is still very light, is the cage made of mesh, is it fine mesh?, then his nails/claws might have trouble grasping, so leave the bubble wrap for now, and if it happenes again you could try a different gauge mesh for its cage, good luck

Sana

Hi ChamDE86. definitely leave the bubble wrap, rather not risk him getting hurt. My Panther recently fell and hurt himself, its not something you want to go through. Generally their bodies are quite robust since they fall in the jungle from very high heights, but then again there's normally a leafy bottom to break their fall.

Thanks for the input, fellow members! I've left the bubble wrap at the bottom just to be safe. He no longer climbs upside down, but did attempt to climb the side walls of the cage a little before he chickened out. I do believe he knows he can no longer support himself as well as before. I'm just glad he did not severely injure himself while learning this lesson.

God that's one of my fears with this rescue I have. Only prob I have is that the mister goes off and water has no place to go. What b do you do?

Back
Top Bottom