Dexter's health scare!

Hey everyone! I just want to say a quick hello to all the members that know me and to the ones that I haven't gotten a chance to talk too! I have been super super busy with school and work, so I haven't had the time to post much on here but I am always on the look out to see whats new and how everyone is.:D

Anyways, so this morning I went to go feed Dexter and Clea (both Veiled's) when I noticed that Dexter had a minor case of what looked like mouth rot. I immediately called a friend of mine that works at a local exotic vet hospital. She offered to take Dexter with her to work before I headed to my job. After work, I went to go pick up Dexter and see how he was. The doctors were extremely nice and explained everything to me. Dexter did indeed have mouth rot but it was obviously just starting and they congratulated me on how I noticed it in its early stages before it got worse.:rolleyes: So the vet started explaining to me how beautiful and friendly Dexter is and how much everyone enjoyed him at the vet hospital.

They sent Dexter and I home with Baytril (antibiotics) injections that I need to inject in Dexter's tricep every other day, alternating his arms each time. They also sent me home with HEALx Sunshine Factor that helps with any vitamin issues that may cause problems to the mouth rot.

All in all, I am extremely pleased that I caught Dexters health problem very quickly and immediately headed to the vet. Now after a pretty expensive vet bill, he is on his way to recovery and that's all that matters.:p
I just wanted to share this story with all of you that know Dexter, Clea, and I. :)

I hope everyone and everyone's chameleons are doing great and I look forward to talking to you all once again!
-Stefan

Glad to hear that Dexter's going to be ok. Good thing you got him to the vets ASAP. Which vet did you go to?

They sent Dexter and I home with Baytril (antibiotics) injections that I need to inject in Dexter's tricep every other day, alternating his arms each time.

I'm a little surprised they gave you injectable Baytril as it is known to cause muscle necrosis (severe bruising and even death of tissues) at the injection site with repeated use (even alternating the location). Oral Baytril is just as effective and much safer (and less stressful to give) for long term use. Watch for any swelling of the jaw that may indicate that there is pus that needs to be cleaned out.

I'm a little surprised they gave you injectable Baytril as it is known to cause muscle necrosis (severe bruising and even death of tissues) at the injection site with repeated use (even alternating the location). Oral Baytril is just as effective and much safer (and less stressful to give) for long term use. Watch for any swelling of the jaw that may indicate that there is pus that needs to be cleaned out.

Really, orally is just as good? I learned something new. Personally I have never had a good experience using Baytril orally or otherwise with Chameleons. They have always seemed to want to vomit their food back up. At least my Parsonii did years ago. I hope Clea gets better results.

Great to hear from you Stefan. It has been a long while.

I have not gone through vet school however I have got two decades worth of experience of going to and medicating chameleons at veterinary clinics and I am to surprised that they put Dexter on Baytril. That is one antibiotic I have never had results I was pleased with in the past. I would recommend chatting with your vet about other possible antibiotics.

Last edited:
Jannb- I went to Broward Avian and Exotics hospital in Deerfield Beach, Florida

As for the Baytril injections, I can already see what you guys are talking about because the vet gave him his first injection in front of me and his arm immediately got brown so I assume that is the bruising. She gave me here email and phone number and told me to call her today if it hasn't gone away and so far it's still on his arm. She said that if it were to stay like this, we would switch antibiotics so I guess I should call her today before I give him his next injection on Saturday. Thanks for the heads out ferretinmyshoes and Motherloade!

Ceftazidime is a better option for a lot of infections in reptiles. It is injectable but does not have the side effect of muscle necrosis, and it only has to be given every three days.

When Mufasa had mouth infections Dr. Alfonso gave him the antibiotic Clindamycin and for any mouth problems he always has me use Zymox. The times he gave Baytril for other type infections it was always oral. If you know the name of the vet I will research them a bit.

I've had so many bad experiences with injectable Baytril and chameleons I will never ever use it again! If you do need to go injectable, Ceftazidime all the way (assuming a sensitivity culture has been done.) Plain old betadine is very effective in treating mouth rot in the early stages, you can swab\debride with a q tip daily in addition to the meds.

Update/bump

Hey guys so Dexter's vet got in touch with me today and told me that she wants to switch antibiotics. So she gave me Ceftazidime this time and I have to inject 0.06 cc everyday for the next ten days alternating his arms. I gave him his first injection when I got home and he had no reaction like he did to the Baytril, so far so good. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom