Deworming as a standard?

CalamityCrow

Avid Member
Hi!

My vet wants to give my 4mo panther a series of deworming as a baseline standard... Is that normal? Should I do it? They're doing a fecal to rule anything out but I don't like unnecessary medical treatments.

Hi!

My vet wants to give my 4mo panther a series of deworming as a baseline standard... Is that normal? Should I do it? They're doing a fecal to rule anything out but I don't like unnecessary medical treatments.
Personally I would not.... Unless you get a positive fecal and are treating a specific parasite. Not all meds work on all parasites. The med is parasite specific typically. So by doing the "preventative" deworming your just causing stress on the cham and its organs.

Personally I would not.... Unless you get a positive fecal and are treating a specific parasite. Not all meds work on all parasites. The med is parasite specific typically. So by doing the "preventative" deworming your just causing stress on the cham and its organs.
Okay that's my inclination but they are fairly insistent (understandable to an extent). Of course if the fecal comes back with parasites I'll treat but I don't think that this is exactly like you would do, for say, routine deworming for dogs.

Okay that's my inclination but they are fairly insistent (understandable to an extent). Of course if the fecal comes back with parasites I'll treat but I don't think that this is exactly like you would do, for say, routine deworming for dogs.
Correct so if it was me I would deny the deworming... Wait for fecal results... Then if it is positive provide the correct treatment. If the cham came from a good breeder that does routine fecals the chances of it even having anything would be really low. So treating it then just causes stress and in turn we know meds can cause harm to organs. But we do not know to what extent. Most of us choose the path of not medicating unless it is actually warranted.

This is the same for vitamin shots that I was mentioning... Just say no lol

Correct so if it was me I would deny the deworming... Wait for fecal results... Then if it is positive provide the correct treatment. If the cham came from a good breeder that does routine fecals the chances of it even having anything would be really low. So treating it then just causes stress and in turn we know meds can cause harm to organs. But we do not know to what extent. Most of us choose the path of not medicating unless it is actually warranted.

This is the same for vitamin shots that I was mentioning... Just say no lol
Haha yeah I hate the concept of unnecessary treatments. I'm happy to wait for the fecal to be done to be sure. At least he's so tiny that it won't cost a ton if I have to get it...

Also thanks everyone for replying so fast! It's helping to educate me while I'm waiting at the vet. You guys are amazing.

Haha yeah I hate the concept of unnecessary treatments. I'm happy to wait for the fecal to be done to be sure. At least he's so tiny that it won't cost a ton if I have to get it...

Also thanks everyone for replying so fast! It's helping to educate me while I'm waiting at the vet. You guys are amazing.
Yeah when they are young especially meds and shots are just not something you do with a healthy cham. You wait. Even on a full grown cham they can be very very hard on their bodies. So babies its always better to be safe than sorry. I have seen babies within this forum die because they were given the wrong treatment from a vet.

I will tell you that vets are pricey for all things reptile lol. Look into pet insurance from Nationwide. It is a great back up in case something major ever happens and better to get before the little one has any re-portable conditions from a vet.

Yeah when they are young especially meds and shots are just not something you do with a healthy cham. You wait. Even on a full grown cham they can be very very hard on their bodies. So babies its always better to be safe than sorry. I have seen babies within this forum die because they were given the wrong treatment from a vet.

I will tell you that vets are pricey for all things reptile lol. Look into pet insurance from Nationwide. It is a great back up in case something major ever happens and better to get before the little one has any re-portable conditions from a vet.
Ooo that's a good idea. I've got two dogs that I keep up on with annual vet appts and stuff, so I'm unfortunately familiar with vet bills (thankfully my guys are generally healthy). But pet insurance for this guy may be worth it... We shall see! Either way I don't mind spending the money if it's needed. I certainly mind spending the money if it isn't, AND it's potentially harmful.

Ooo that's a good idea. I've got two dogs that I keep up on with annual vet appts and stuff, so I'm unfortunately familiar with vet bills (thankfully my guys are generally healthy). But pet insurance for this guy may be worth it... We shall see! Either way I don't mind spending the money if it's needed. I certainly mind spending the money if it isn't, AND it's potentially harmful.
For example... the last blood draw I had to get done on my boy was $225... This was only for the full blood panel. Then I had another $125 on top of that for the actual visit. So that was a pricey vet visit. Had I gotten insurance on him at the time almost all of that I could have gotten back.

Welp they found a bit of yeast which is interesting, and a couple worms that start with a c? I'm going to treat for what they found instead of a general deworming with a checkup in 2 weeks.

Perhaps the vet read a dated veterinary care sheet from when exotics such as chameleons were predominantly wild caught. Its std practice to use a shotgun approach something like panacur on wild caught chameleons as they generally have a parasite load compared to captive bred counterparts.

All righty, so here's the actual results: They found some coccidian in his fecal sample, as well as evidence of a yeast infection. They've prescribed Albon and Nystatin for a 2 week regiment. Hopefully treatments won't be too hard on him.

Otherwise, the vet seemed pretty knowledgable. He looked over my husbandry (I brought the list I filled out here actually) and said basically the same things I was told here - up my gutloading game, mostly, and I'll be updating my cage setup sooner than later. He seemed pretty trustworthy all things considered.

What do you fine folks think?

Yeah so coccidia is the bad one... you will need to clean the cage thoroughly and spot clean every single day. You need to do the meds and then get another fecal done to ensure their are no oocysts. If there are then you need to go back through the entire thing again.

What type of cage set up do you have? Coccidia ooxysts do not die off in a cage easily. They can live for years and the cham can reinfect themselves. Are you feeding in a dish or free feeding?

Oh wow! I didn't realize it was so bad... Thankfully they didn't find MUCH there. The amounts were trace, but the vet said "coccidia and large rods" - the fecal smear was negative but the float apparently had 2 small ones that they found (I think I got that right). I have a follow-up appointment in 2 weeks for another fecal.

That being said.... I need to upgrade the cage anyway - Maybe I should push that timeline forward and do as deep a clean as I can right now (and a wipedown daily)? Buy new plants, new cage, new everything sooner than later so that my guy can have a clean place to be.

Right now I am dish feeding. I have the full throttle feeder cup in the cage.

Do the feeders carry it? I have a dubia roach colony that doesn't have enough nymphs small enough for him to eat so I haven't been using them yet but I'd rather toss the colony than risk infection.

Oh wow! I didn't realize it was so bad... Thankfully they didn't find MUCH there. The amounts were trace, but the vet said "coccidia and large rods" - the fecal smear was negative but the float apparently had 2 small ones that they found (I think I got that right). I have a follow-up appointment in 2 weeks for another fecal.

That being said.... I need to upgrade the cage anyway - Maybe I should push that timeline forward and do as deep a clean as I can right now (and a wipedown daily)? Buy new plants, new cage, new everything sooner than later so that my guy can have a clean place to be.

Right now I am dish feeding. I have the full throttle feeder cup in the cage.

Do the feeders carry it? I have a dubia roach colony that doesn't have enough nymphs small enough for him to eat so I haven't been using them yet but I'd rather toss the colony than risk infection.
ok so baby is in what now? You would want to wait to move into a new cage with new everything until you get at least 2-3 clean fecals. Spot cleaning constantly in the mean time. His numbers are low so just keeping everything cleaned up wiping all branches off. Don't leave fecal in there. Pull out low plants so it can not fall into it.

More typically with crickets. To my knowledge dubia are good. More then likely was exposed before you got him. unless you have had him for awhile or have other reptiles that could have cross contaminated him. Dirty feeders that have been exposed to reptiles that have coccidia. Coccidia is very common in bearded dragons. But it is unsafe for chameleons. A stress event can trigger it to go into mass production in a cham. Can cause a bunch of issues and death in high numbers. a few is very low though.

Soooo most typically introduced with a feeder that has been exposed to it. The cham eats the feeder that have the oocysts on it... The reproduction cycle begins in the cham. reexposure through fecal mater. The oocysts come out in the fecal. Cham licks the branch where the fecal was picks up an oocyst and reinfection occurs.

So spot cleaning becomes extremely important.

ok so baby is in what now? You would want to wait to move into a new cage with new everything until you get at least 2-3 clean fecals. Spot cleaning constantly in the mean time. His numbers are low so just keeping everything cleaned up wiping all branches off. Don't leave fecal in there. Pull out low plants so it can not fall into it.

More typically with crickets. To my knowledge dubia are good. More then likely was exposed before you got him. unless you have had him for awhile or have other reptiles that could have cross contaminated him. Dirty feeders that have been exposed to reptiles that have coccidia. Coccidia is very common in bearded dragons. But it is unsafe for chameleons. A stress event can trigger it to go into mass production in a cham. Can cause a bunch of issues and death in high numbers. a few is very low though.

Soooo most typically introduced with a feeder that has been exposed to it. The cham eats the feeder that have the oocysts on it... The reproduction cycle begins in the cham. reexposure through fecal mater. The oocysts come out in the fecal. Cham licks the branch where the fecal was picks up an oocyst and reinfection occurs.

So spot cleaning becomes extremely important.
Okay this is all good info.

I've had him for exactly 8 days.

Right now he's in a screen cage, 18x18x36 with 2 pothos plants, and a couple fake ones to fill it in while the plants grow. I DO need to swap out his horizontal "sticks" - they're tape-wrapped dowel rods with some bendable fake vines (not the mossy type ones at last) (I inherited both of those things, and the cage itself from a chameleon owner whose cham passed away a number of months ago) and while I wiped it down when I got it used, perhaps that was an issue with the previous cham and I didn't clean well enough? Either way, it's a current issue that I clearly need to handle.

Roger roger on the "don't move cage stuff now," assuming he'll potentially spread the coccidia around while he's being treated.

Good to hear the dubias are proooobably safe. I got the crickets from a local pet shop here. Possible they had it too I suppose. I'm not sure how long it takes for it to move/show up.

Spot-cleaning will become much simpler once I do a deep clean, I imagine too. I'll definitely be getting on that asap.

Okay this is all good info.

I've had him for exactly 8 days.

Right now he's in a screen cage, 18x18x36 with 2 pothos plants, and a couple fake ones to fill it in while the plants grow. I DO need to swap out his horizontal "sticks" - they're tape-wrapped dowel rods with some bendable fake vines (not the mossy type ones at last) (I inherited both of those things, and the cage itself from a chameleon owner whose cham passed away a number of months ago) and while I wiped it down when I got it used, perhaps that was an issue with the previous cham and I didn't clean well enough? Either way, it's a current issue that I clearly need to handle.

Roger roger on the "don't move cage stuff now," assuming he'll potentially spread the coccidia around while he's being treated.

Good to hear the dubias are proooobably safe. I got the crickets from a local pet shop here. Possible they had it too I suppose. I'm not sure how long it takes for it to move/show up.

Spot-cleaning will become much simpler once I do a deep clean, I imagine too. I'll definitely be getting on that asap.
Ok buy the flukers bendable vines. These have an easy to clean surface and are cham safe.

Could have been from the pet store crickets. Especially if they keep reptiles.

Hi!

Look, panacur is pretty safe, so it likely won’t hurt; but just the act of handling and force feeding your Cham a medication is stressful. So regardless of the drug itself being mild, it’s administration never is. If you’re getting a fecal done anyways, why not wait for the results?

Look, panacur is pretty safe, so it likely won’t hurt; but just the act of handling and force feeding your Cham a medication is stressful. So regardless of the drug itself being mild, it’s administration never is. If you’re getting a fecal done anyways, why not wait for the results?
I opted out of the general deworming since I'm going to have to force feed him two medications now... I'm really glad I waited on the fecal results. Unfortunately the result came back with a yeast presence as well as coccidia. :C

I opted out of the general deworming since I'm going to have to force feed him two medications now... I'm really glad I waited on the fecal results. Unfortunately the result came back with a yeast presence as well as coccidia. :C
Ok. Before you loose your mind, I have some advice. Coccidia is a direct life cycle parasite with a fecal/oral mode of infection. I know Coccidia is a keeper’s nightmare, but that isn’t because it’s necessarily so pathogenic. It is basically always present in wild chameleons. The difference is that wild chameleons are pooping on the ground 20 feet below, and the chances of it eating a bug that has walked on it’s poop is very low. So the rate of reinfection is very low. In captivity it becomes a problem because they’re pooping in a small area where feeders are way more likely to come in contact with feces. Also, Coccidia oocysts are extremely stable, so they can hang around for a long time, and their outer shell makes it hard for many cleaners to kill.

All that being said, your two primary goals are
1) sanitation:
- clean up all poop ASAP.
- complete cage sanitation at least twice a week is great, but it can be labour intensive. That sucks, but it helps
2) BREAK THE LIFE CYCLE!!!!
- don’t let feeders loose in the enclosure
- cup feed, or else tong feed

Back
Top Bottom