Dead Crickets!

kyle_l

Hey everyone! So I was wondering if someone could help/explain this problem i'm having! So I have been buying crickets to feed my cham. They keep dying so quickly. I have fed them strawberries, cubes, carrots, etc but they keep dying! When they die it's so sudden too. It's like 2 days after purchasing them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mine did the same thing... came from petsmart as well. Even tho i kept them in a tank with airflow and offered food for them

Try a different supplier. May not be anything you are doing wrong. Keep them hydrated,ventilated, and warm. Make sure you remove any dead ones as soon as you can as they will cause others to die.

Standard house crickets can carry a virus/disease that kills them off really quickly. Look up Cricket Paralysis Disease and see if it is anything like you are seeing. You could be better off with banded crickets.

I get mine from Top Hat Crickets and have never had an issue in several years.

They aren't the cheapest, but I get a few thousand at a time, and they live until I use them up. I can't ask for more than that.

One trick that I use vs smell that has worked wonders for me, is that I buy 50lb bags of rabbit chow at Tractor Supply at around $16 a bag, and use a layer of that as a substrate for my cricket tubs. NO ODOR problems and based on the rabbit feed contents, they can chew on it and it's not a bad thing.

The biggest thing for me was switching away from the box store type of house crickets. I used to lose sooooo many every time. Now, I rarely lose any unless I keep them well over a month.

The only caution is you don't want to introduce any moisture into the substrate or you will end up getting fungus. To keep that from happening, I make a tray for feeding out of aluminum foil which keeps veggies and any moisture from food from getting onto the rabbit pellets. Works for me. Find what works best for you. =)

Try a different supplier. May not be anything you are doing wrong. Keep them hydrated,ventilated, and warm. Make sure you remove any dead ones as soon as you can as they will cause others to die.
That's the thing, they all kind of die off at the same time. It's so bizarre!

Standard house crickets can carry a virus/disease that kills them off really quickly. Look up Cricket Paralysis Disease and see if it is anything like you are seeing. You could be better off with banded crickets.

I get mine from Top Hat Crickets and have never had an issue in several years.

They aren't the cheapest, but I get a few thousand at a time, and they live until I use them up. I can't ask for more than that.
Those are actually cheaper than Petsmart 100 at Petsmart are like 11 bucks. Small ones there are 500 for 11 bucks. My cham is still kind of small so that's the size I feed him right now. It's like overnight they all are just dead.

One trick that I use vs smell that has worked wonders for me, is that I buy 50lb bags of rabbit chow at Tractor Supply at around $16 a bag, and use a layer of that as a substrate for my cricket tubs. NO ODOR problems and based on the rabbit feed contents, they can chew on it and it's not a bad thing.

The biggest thing for me was switching away from the box store type of house crickets. I used to lose sooooo many every time. Now, I rarely lose any unless I keep them well over a month.

The only caution is you don't want to introduce any moisture into the substrate or you will end up getting fungus. To keep that from happening, I make a tray for feeding out of aluminum foil which keeps veggies and any moisture from food from getting onto the rabbit pellets. Works for me. Find what works best for you. =)
You can also use vermiculite as a substraight which will absorb moisture and help with the odor. Banded crickets are the way to go if you are using as a staple.

Crickets actually stop moving when it’s to cold. If you put them in heat like under a hot light they can actually come back, it’s kind of creepy. Sometimes my crickets stop moving so I take a light and put it over the container for a couple minutes and they all start moving again. What temperature is the area you keep them in?

Honestly I just have a bin that is tall enough so they can't jump out, and I don't use a lid. I also have a 75w heat light over them to keep them at 76-77 degrees so they don't die off from cold. I keep one of my windows open alot of the day to let fresh air circulate, but its cold right now, so in winter I put heat lights on my feeders.

Crickets actually stop moving when it’s to cold. If you put them in heat like under a hot light they can actually come back, it’s kind of creepy. Sometimes my crickets stop moving so I take a light and put it over the container for a couple minutes and they all start moving again. What temperature is the area you keep them in?
I keep the bin in my room. It's around 75 degrees. Because I have more than just a cham, I use the crickets to feed my Baby Beardie too. It's hard to feed them both because they keep dying.

Back
Top Bottom