Day one of trying to get my chameleon to like me

Mountain Dragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I am trying to make Yoshi like me better. Every day I am going to put my hand with Thea treat in his cage for 30 minutes. Hopefully hero associate me with good and his keeper. I am sitting in a chair making no eye contact

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 70
Did you read my blog? Make sure the chameleon is totally settled into the cage and eating well before you start trying this. You want to make sure they have acclimated and that your not causing undo stress. Especially when they are young. :)

I normally start off with long tongs or a cup on a stick, just so they get used to the hand in the general area while feeding. Even some of my "handleable" ones wont eat from an open hand, at best maybe 2 fingers holding a worm:p

Did you read my blog? Make sure the chameleon is totally settled into the cage and eating well before you start trying this. You want to make sure they have acclimated and that your not causing undo stress. Especially when they are young. :)
Yea it was a great blog!!! And yea he is settled in eating normal, hasn’t been dark, and very active!

Yea it was a great blog!!! And yea he is settled in eating normal, hasn’t been dark, and very active!
If he is showing signs of stress when you try to do this... Like hiding in the back, color change, going into plants etc. Then you want to back off... Start out by just sitting in a chair in the room so he can see you. Read a book or something. Let him just have the time to watch you and get used to you being there. Once he stays out with you in the room and does not react to you standing up then start trying to hand feed. Make sure your sitting lower then him. Do not make eye contact and keep your hand a bit lower then the branch he is on. Less intimidating for him that way. Sometimes hand feeding can not start until they identify you as the bringer of their food. Each cham is different. Just ensure that the baby is not being stressed out. Illness can happen when they are over stressed.

If he is showing signs of stress when you try to do this... Like hiding in the back, color change, going into plants etc. Then you want to back off... Start out by just sitting in a chair in the room so he can see you. Read a book or something. Let him just have the time to watch you and get used to you being there. Once he stays out with you in the room and does not react to you standing up then start trying to hand feed. Make sure your sitting lower then him. Do not make eye contact and keep your hand a bit lower then the branch he is on. Less intimidating for him that way. Sometimes hand feeding can not start until they identify you as the bringer of their food. Each cham is different. Just ensure that the baby is not being stressed out. Illness can happen when they are over stressed.
Okay great exactly what I’m doing your blog was great

My Jackson’s I’ve had for almost two weeks now is frightened of me but that’s exactly what I’ve done, just sat in the room where he can see me since he’s in my living room. The last 3-4 days he’s started being in the front of his enclosure and basking etc. when I stand up to go into the kitchen he doesn’t run, he stays there. I can go up to the front of his cage and get things out of the drawer under him and as long as I stay lower than he is he will stay there and not run to hide. It really does just take patience.

My Jackson’s I’ve had for almost two weeks now is frightened of me but that’s exactly what I’ve done, just sat in the room where he can see me since he’s in my living room. The last 3-4 days he’s started being in the front of his enclosure and basking etc. when I stand up to go into the kitchen he doesn’t run, he stays there. I can go up to the front of his cage and get things out of the drawer under him and as long as I stay lower than he is he will stay there and not run to hide. It really does just take patience.
That’s awesome so glad to hear patience is definitely key

Back
Top Bottom