darwin has coccidia. son of a! will reptaid really work?

heartben

grrrrrr. took him to the vet for a check up and fecal. she said he looked really healthy, well hydrated, no infections in the mouth like i thought there might be..

she did however mention his jaw was a little bit bendy...im not sure if they shouldnt bend AT ALL or if a little bit is ok..she didnt say he had mbd but that it could lead to mbd.. idk what to do about that or what that really means.

and he was positive for coccidia.. and of course, i was given albon.. then when i got home and read about it - ive seen to NOT use albon...

i have reptaid and the website says it works for treating coccidia but id like to hear if anyone else has had a reptaid vs coccidia success story.

im just.. incredibly bummed and frustrated. i feel like im an awful keeper. not sure what to do about the bone thing, ive been supplementing since day one and i take him out when i can..and the parasites.. just didnt see that coming.

thanks for any suggestions, i appreciate it.
-ben

Sorry to hear about you cham.....poor critter...

RepTaid IMO, works best when the cham is otherwise healthy "appearing".....by the time they are getting bad though I've seen that it doesnt work as well....so your cham has a good chance using it......BUT you HAVE to follow thru on the treatment.....no exceptions......and be vigilant on cleaning the cage!!

anyone know the most likely way he got it? eating bugs outside? i only have the one cham and have started with all new supplies..

anyone know the most likely way he got it? eating bugs outside? i only have the one cham and have started with all new supplies..

They can get it from the feeders, wild caught or store bought. All it takes is for a wild lizard usually an anole to get in the feeders at the cricket farm or at your house and poop in the feeders and the crickets or other feeder eats the poop and then your cham eats the feeder, then you cham has the parasite.

thanks for the link.

man...thats scary. so were more or less helpless against it? if it can be transferred to feeders so easily.. man this just really sucks. im so bummed.

thanks everyone.

thanks for the link.

man...thats scary. so were more or less helpless against it? if it can be transferred to feeders so easily.. man this just really sucks. im so bummed.

thanks everyone.

Yea, I am a meticulous keeper and cleaner and a few years ago Luie got it and even with all the cleaning every week he reinfected after about a month of testing clean.

A healthy chameleon can co-exist with many parasites without any issues. They tend to only be a problem when the chameleon is not so healthy.

A healthy chameleon can co-exist with many parasites without any issues. They tend to only be a problem when the chameleon is not so healthy.

interesting. well he definitely appears healthy and is growing/gaining weight.. really good grip, alert.. clear eyes. all that good stuff. i suppose ill try and mellow out a little bit about it...still kind of upset i got albon, hope to figure out what to do tomorrow. kind of dont think the vet will give me the other stuff.

Sorry to hear that. Burnside is sad about his brother.:(
Is there a way to tell your Cham has coccidia with out a Doc visit??

interesting. well he definitely appears healthy and is growing/gaining weight.. really good grip, alert.. clear eyes. all that good stuff. i suppose ill try and mellow out a little bit about it...still kind of upset i got albon, hope to figure out what to do tomorrow. kind of dont think the vet will give me the other stuff.

After all, YOU are the one paying for the medication and the vet visits. Tell him that you would like another medicine, and that if he doesn't provide you with one, you simply won't accept one. (That way he can't charge you for medication) ;)

Great Idea.
I have about an hour and a half drive to Orlando. what would be the best to transport my guy out there, and how could i keep him out there while i look around?

Just bring a fresh poop for a fecal. There's no need to bring your chameleon.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the problem, but I'm sure Darwin is fit enough to survive.........

i see what you did there. haha.

alright guys so the update today is - i called the vet and told her about what id read and what was suggested - she is SUPER nice and understanding (glad i went where i did) and she checked to see if they had that other stuff and they didnt but she was going to ask her suppliers for some and let me know what happens over the next few days.

if she cant get any, she will call that ...what is...diamondback drugs in az.. she was totally understanding, so at least i know its not awkward to have to ask her for things from now on.

darwin has acted normal except he didnt eat as much today.. i hope he isnt getting sicker from being stressed at the visit..thatd suck.

so yeah, thanks everyone - jann i read the blogs and all your posts, i appreciate it. some things i read make me feel worse and some make me feel better. as long as he doesnt get way worse before i hear back from the vet ill be ok if i stop stressing about it. my bday is this weekend and i dont want to have to be worrying about him so i hope he is hungry tomorrow!

I think we tend to forget just how easily chams pick up parasites from normal foods. You didn't do anything wrong. That being the case, also remember that a cham who is healthy, has a stable weight and body condition, kept correctly, and fed high quality food is also able to handle some parasite load without treatment (the wild ones are often loaded, but tough). Even if you don't treat him and are simply aware he is carrying coccidia that's better than not knowing. You can monitor the level over time and treat if things seem to be changing.

Not sure about the soft jaw. If your husbandry is correct, lights current it may be nothing to worry over. I think you'd see other signs of MBD if he was in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom