Dark spot on Jackson Chameleon

Deejay

Hi, just discovered a dark spot on the chin of my new Jackson Chameleon, Dandelion. Is this a fungus? Looking for a vet in my area but any help is really appreciated. :unsure:

Attachments

• dot.jpg
    dot.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 65
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson, Male, young adult, 7 days in my care
  • Handling - Once a day I handle Dandelion the Jackson Chameleon
  • Feeding - I feed him in the morning crickets or wax worms
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - I drip before dusk and see him drink, spray in afternoon
  • Fecal Description - Looks good
  • History - bought him from backwater reptiles

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - skyscraper 18 x 18 x 36
  • Lighting - uvb/uva dome and tube
  • Temperature - 85 to 60
  • Humidity - 25 to 95
  • Plants - plastic plants
  • Placement - he is in remodeled basement at the bottom of the stair near a window
  • Location - USA, CT

Supplements - I use Repticalcium once a month and reptivite every two days. I feed the crickets cat food with natural cricket care gut load

You might check on the cat food for gut loading because I've seen here on the forums that it's not beneficial. You can find the info on food and nutrition under the Resources tab. I copied the info here too for you. "Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates." Just something to think about.

Have you tried to rinse it off. Sometimes bug guts get on their face.
Feeding cat food to the feeders can lead to gout especially in montane species like Jacksons. I will review the rest of your care later. Have to work ATM.

It worked! It Q-tipped right off with warm water and a lot of elbow grease. Thank you

Gout! Oh no. I will fix that immediately.

JacksJill, your chameleon is amazing and beautiful. Looks very healthy. :)

I will put my comments in blue.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson, Male, young adult, 7 days in my care Congratulations welcome to the obsession
  • Handling - Once a day I handle Dandelion the Jackson Chameleon Cute name. Jackson's are rather shy. I rarely handle mine unless the need treatment or moving from cage to cage or outdoors for sun.
  • Feeding - I feed him in the morning crickets or wax worms. He will benefit from a wider variety go easy on the wax worms they are fatty.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use Repticalcium once a month and reptivite every two days. I feed the crickets cat food with natural cricket care gut load This schedule needs to be readjusted ASAP "Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month." The amount of D3 is very important for these guys too much can make them sick very quickly. Looks like you are going to need a plain calcium and to use the ones you have way less depending on if their formula includes D3. The gut load list you were given is good.
  • Watering - I drip before dusk and see him drink, spray in afternoon I would spray at first light 2-5 minutes depending on your homes humidity drip mid afternoon and spray again well just before last light.
  • Fecal Description - Looks good
  • History - bought him from backwater reptiles I would seriously consider getting a fecal tested by your vet once this emergency is over.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - skyscraper 18 x 18 x 36
  • Lighting - uvb/uva dome and tube This don't put out much UVB and only in a small area. Your next purchase should be a linear T5 light fixture and 6% or 5.0 UVB bulb you will want to get a 24 inch one to go with the cage size he will need as an adult later a 24x24x48
  • Temperature - 85 to 60 If 85 is the basking spot and 60 is the overnight you are set. If he is young stick closer to 82 for your basking high.
  • Humidity - 25 to 95 25% is too low you are looking for 40-50% daytime and 80-100 overnight. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this. Wrapping the back and 1-2 sides of a screen cage can help maintain humidity.
  • Plants - plastic plants Adding live plants will help with humidity and add more places to hide making him feel secure.
  • Placement - he is in remodeled basement at the bottom of the stair near a window
  • Location - USA, CT
    I know that is a lot to take in and do especially right now but first get the supplements sorted, then the lights and plants. Here is a care sheet and all the reference info on the https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/ pages. Here is the link you need most https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/ if you need help with any details I will keep an eye on this post to answer your questions.
    Thanks my chameleon "Scimitar" is a closely related species to your new little guy that's why his colors are a bit different.

What I figure is I'll use the ReptiCalcium without D3 every other day, and a multivitamin that has D3 once a month. This way I only need 2 supplements while still meeting the requirements. Does this work?

I just realized you do have the same species as you.
Yes, that schedule will work. I mix ground bee pollen into my plain calcium (1:2) but the jury is still out on whether it is of benefit or not but it is definitely part of their diet in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom