Dark Colour Around Mouth

Juliana

Hello my male veiled chameleon still is refusing to eating mostly everything except for the repti boost that I’ve been feeding him through a syringe. He has developed a strange colour around his mouth. Please help!! Open to any suggestions!

Attachments

• CBB8EEAA-3031-454D-A011-E39B3A3DB236.jpeg
    CBB8EEAA-3031-454D-A011-E39B3A3DB236.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 616ED4B6-C24B-4817-BABF-F44875CF697A.jpeg
    616ED4B6-C24B-4817-BABF-F44875CF697A.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 145
Can you fill this help form out? It will help us get some background on what is going on.

Are you able to see inside his mouth while syringe feeding to see if there is any discoloration?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon: 7 month old male veiled chameleon named Squal
Handeling: Every other day to every few days at his discretion (I open the cage door and let him come to me)
Feeding: Has been very inconsistent due to the fact that he doesn’t want to eat anything. I’ve tried wax worms, crickets, horn worms, butter worms, vegetales all in a variety of different forms and he’s not interested. Due to this I bring him in the shower every other day and feed him reptiboost through a syringe and he loves it. I also sometimes mix vitamins in with the reptiboost as well. When he was a young cam he was eating a lot and then just wasn’t interested even though I was mixing up his feeder insects
Hydration: I have a mist king that runs for 45 seconds every two hours and that really helps keep him hydrated as well as the showers I give him for a half an hour every other day
Decal description: poop looks fine( when he actually eats) and urate is normal white and very wet
History: Got him when he was a month old
Cage type: large exoterra got the chameleon kit when I first got him, all screen.
Lighting: double light fixture with UVB and heat light ( just a regular light bulb due to actual reptilebulbs always burning out) normally temperature in basking spot is high 80s
Humidity: could be a bit higher but the mister really helps the humidity
Live plants: my only live plant that I have is pathos which I keep on the cage floor, all the rest of my plants are plastic due to easier to clean and don’t have to try to keep them alive
Cage location: In my bed room on top of my desk about three feet off the floor away from my window, not in the way of any foot traffic other than myself.

Concern: I haven’t seen him use his tongue to eat an insect in five months and I’m worried that he is getting skinny and not getting enough nutrients and will develop more problems. I’m also worried that he might have something wrong with him and I can’t tell.

A picture of the inside of the mouth would be very helpful. A few of things it could be: 1) a mild burn 2) bug juice from something he ate that will wash off or 3) the beginnings of an infection. Pictures of the inside will eliminate #3 if normal and I'm leaning toward #2.

Edit: or 4) bruising

Could the lighting fixture be a problem here, veterans? When you say double light fixture, are you using one of the coiled uvb bulbs? If so, they aren't very efficient, and your buddy may be lacking the proper uv to absorb his calcium. The beginnings of MBD can often be an inability to use the tongue, if I'm not mistaken. How old is the bulb? They should be replaced every six months.

It almost looks like he rubbed his chin raw (for lack of a better word) on the cage door to me
For that, though, it would probably involve the area of his lips. I don't think that chin rubbing would be in that place, and looking like that.

For that, though, it would probably involve the area of his lips. I don't think that chin rubbing would be in that place, and looking like that.
That’s why I said almost, I think the butterworms would have a darker patch. I have no idea

Could the lighting fixture be a problem here, veterans? When you say double light fixture, are you using one of the coiled uvb bulbs? If so, they aren't very efficient, and your buddy may be lacking the proper uv to absorb his calcium. The beginnings of MBD can often be an inability to use the tongue, if I'm not mistaken. How old is the bulb? They should be replaced every six months.[/QUOTE
I’m using a pet store brand UVB light and it’s advertised to be strong and efficient for reptiles

Attachments

• 4D34E123-CAEA-4BDE-A249-D61DEE70BF19.jpeg
    4D34E123-CAEA-4BDE-A249-D61DEE70BF19.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 59
I also have a picture of his enclosure

Attachments

• B831C874-BFD6-4886-B0E1-A6DCA83EE3DA.jpeg
    B831C874-BFD6-4886-B0E1-A6DCA83EE3DA.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 111
He needs more branches, mostly horizontal, everywhere. More plant cover, too. A linear uvb is best, preferably an Arcadia 6%. Get a temp gun to measure the basking spot, it looks too close to the bulb. Remember to add some degrees to account for your chameleon’s height.

When you feed him crickets, do the calcium (phosphorus and D3 free) every feeding, calcium with D3 (phosphorus free) twice monthly, and multivitamin twice monthly. You could use an all-in-one supplement like Repashy Calcium Plus LoD or Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all with the Reptiboost. Either way, take him to the vet

When you feed him crickets, do the calcium (phosphorus and D3 free) every feeding, calcium with D3 (phosphorus free) twice monthly, and multivitamin twice monthly. You could use an all-in-one supplement like Repashy Calcium Plus LoD or Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all with the Reptiboost. Either way, take him to the vet
So they can help you figure out why he isn’t eating

How old is the UVB bulb?

I agree with what was mentioned above that those compact UVB bulbs are not the best for a almost fully grown chameleon. I'd start looking to switch to a linear T8 or T5 fixture and bulb for UVB. It will spread the UVB throughout the cage instead of focusing it in one spot like yours currently is.

As for the feeding and not using his tongue, How were you feeding him? Were you free ranging the feeders (letting crickets loose in the cage) or cup feeding? Does he attempt to use his tongue at all when offered live food? Wondering if there was ever a possible tongue injury that he never recovered from or if he got lazy which is unlikely but not unheard of.

Okay awesome thanks for the tips, I also already took him to an exotic vet and he said he couldn’t see anything wrong with him. This was two months ago.

How old is the UVB bulb?

I agree with what was mentioned above that those compact UVB bulbs are not the best for a almost fully grown chameleon. I'd start looking to switch to a linear T8 or T5 fixture and bulb for UVB. It will spread the UVB throughout the cage instead of focusing it in one spot like yours currently is.

As for the feeding and not using his tongue, How were you feeding him? Were you free ranging the feeders (letting crickets loose in the cage) or cup feeding? Does he attempt to use his tongue at all when offered live food? Wondering if there was ever a possible tongue injury that he never recovered from or if he got lazy which is unlikely but not unheard of.
I just replaced the UVB a month ago. I sometimes hold the food in front of him and he looks like he wants it (he smacks his mouth) but his eyes never show interest like they use to. I tried loose crickets and feeding them to him in a cup. I’m wondering if his tongue is broken and I just can’t tell

Back
Top Bottom