Dangerous Man-Eating Chameleons

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I think this boy needs a new name: Pitbull.

A couple of days ago, I took this male quad outside for some sun. He's gotten pretty big, but he's a quad not a Mellers. As I was putting him back in his cage, I took the opportunity to have a good look at him and take some current pictures. He took the opportunity to bite me. And then would not let go. For minutes.

If I moved, he bit harder with a sawing action, and those darn teeth are little stinging razor blades. I was afraid he might actually bite/saw a chunk off!

I tried to wait him out, but like a good pitbull, he just hunkered down.

I held still and called for help. My eldest son wanted to kill him for me, after all he was a dangerous wild animal. I asked the more reasonable younger son to put a female in the cage to distract him so he would let go. The female, non-receptive and hopefully gravid, marched right up to him all black and hissy. He ignored her threats and continued to try to kill me. This went on for minutes until he finally let go.

I didn't trust anyone to try to pry his mouth open partly worrying they would hurt him and partly worrying that he would just bite and saw harder. It really hurt. My parrots haven't bitten me so hard.

He managed to damage his mouth and had bruising and a tiny tear where his lips meet his jaw. Serves him right!

This isn't the first time this little darling has grabbed and not let go but he was much smaller and it was really quite funny the first time. It wasn't so funny two days ago! He actually drew blood. My hand is still quite sore, a bit swollen and red.

The other time he tried to kill me: chameleonforums.com/threads/pitbull-quad.140979/

Pictures attached for everyone's entertainment. You would think I would have learned, especially since I have big parrots.

There's a saying among parrot keepers: Bite me once, shame on you. Bite me twice, shame on me.

My fault, 100%.

20160107_165813.jpg

20160107_165922.jpg

I think this boy needs a new name: Pitbull.

A couple of days ago, I took this male quad outside for some sun. He's gotten pretty big, but he's a quad not a Mellers. As I was putting him back in his cage, I took the opportunity to have a good look at him and take some current pictures. He took the opportunity to bite me. And then would not let go. For minutes.

If I moved, he bit harder with a sawing action, and those darn teeth are little stinging razor blades. I was afraid he might actually bite/saw a chunk off!

I tried to wait him out, but like a good pitbull, he just hunkered down.

I held still and called for help. My eldest son wanted to kill him for me, after all he was a dangerous wild animal. I asked the more reasonable younger son to put a female in the cage to distract him so he would let go. The female, non-receptive and hopefully gravid, marched right up to him all black and hissy. He ignored her threats and continued to try to kill me. This went on for minutes until he finally let go.

I didn't trust anyone to try to pry his mouth open partly worrying they would hurt him and partly worrying that he would just bite and saw harder. It really hurt. My parrots haven't bitten me so hard.

He managed to damage his mouth and had bruising and a tiny tear where his lips meet his jaw. Serves him right!

This isn't the first time this little darling has grabbed and not let go but he was much smaller and it was really quite funny the first time. It wasn't so funny two days ago! He actually drew blood. My hand is still quite sore, a bit swollen and red.

The other time he tried to kill me: chameleonforums.com/threads/pitbull-quad.140979/

Pictures attached for everyone's entertainment. You would think I would have learned, especially since I have big parrots.

There's a saying among parrot keepers: Bite me once, shame on you. Bite me twice, shame on me.

My fault, 100%.

View attachment 148881
View attachment 148882
Ow. Anoles do the same thing, but they don't have teeth. And they're tiny. But it still hurts lol.

Wow! you would think being a montane species they would be more docile like the Jacksons. Was thinking of trying one of these guys now not sure.

Ouch! Poor you! My Jax bit me once on accident and I knew right then that I didn't want to be on the receiving end of a serious cham bite... Even for a small cham.

Feel better, but you should reward him for successfully fighting off that giant pink ape that keeps invading his territory :D

Ouch! Poor you! My Jax bit me once on accident and I knew right then that I didn't want to be on the receiving end of a serious cham bite... Even for a small cham.

Feel better, but you should reward him for successfully fighting off that giant pink ape that keeps invading his territory :D
That wording.....god. I laughed too hard at that.

Wow! you would think being a montane species they would be more docile like the Jacksons. Was thinking of trying one of these guys now not sure.

He's a wild caught and I have never tried to socialize him. He's entitled to hate me--I've thoroughly earned it. All I ever do to him is maul him and force his mouth open to medicate him. Being a wild caught, he has been medicated over and over and over again.

Most of my wild caught quads (six) are pretty docile and never try to bite. Two will bite but he is the only one who puts his heart and soul into a bite.

ANY chameleon could bite their local "giant pink ape." Don't blame the species, blame the owner.

[QUOTE="jajeanpierre, post: 1241933, member: 36520"

Most of my wild caught quads (six of my eight adults) are pretty docile and never try to bite. Two will bite but he is the only one who puts his heart and soul into a bite.

ANY chameleon could bite their local "giant pink ape." Don't blame the species, blame the owner.[/QUOTE]

Really, this is handler error. Do not blame the species. These are non socialized wild caughts.

Except for the two that will bite, my wild caught quads won't even gape--even when the vet is trying really really hard to make them gape so she can look down their throats.

Ouch! He is quite the handsome pitbull though. I've been bitten by my rescue guy but at least that was only a quick nip and release that didn't break skin.

Dear God Janet.......you are having quite a week!! I can believe the bite...but to hang on like that for the amount of time he did, that's crazy. Gotta love those W.C. imports.

ANY chameleon could bite their local "giant pink ape." Don't blame the species, blame the owner

I completely agree. The times I've been bitten by any reptile..it was my fault not theirs.

On another note.....he stunning!!!

Dear God Janet.......you are having quite a week!! I can believe the bite...but to hang on like that for the amount of time he did, that's crazy. Gotta love those W.C. imports.

I completely agree. The times I've been bitten by any reptile..it was my fault not theirs.

On another note.....he stunning!!!

Thank you. He's turning out to be a nice looking quad. You can still see the rub injuries from import/capture on his lips and horns from over 11 months ago. Here's a picture from this morning being a chameleon, not a man-eating dragon. He's a really pretty bright yellowy green. When he was younger, he had a lot of really bright blue. The blue is coming back, so I hope he'll have lots of blue when he's fully mature. He was pretty tiny on import. This is the guy that had the breeding accident and hemorrhaged.
20160109_121418.jpg

jpowell86, here's a better picture of him. I don't know what he saw that excited him--he's off in a corner but he saw something that got him excited. I just took this now.

And for brownie64, one of my wild caught quads who was an adult male on import will not bite for anything. He had an abscess cut open and drained by the vet with no anesthetic or anything. He only gaped a few times during the procedure which wasn't exactly quick and just let the vet operate on him. It was very sad because he turned and looked me right in the eye with his big, soft, soulful eyes that only a quad/gracilior has, almost begging me to save him. Of course he wasn't communicating with me--he's a chameleon after all--but that's what it felt like at the time. He's one I absolutely adore.
20160109_123341.jpg

[QUOTE="jajeanpierre, post: 1241933, member: 36520"

Most of my wild caught quads (six of my eight adults) are pretty docile and never try to bite. Two will bite but he is the only one who puts his heart and soul into a bite.

ANY chameleon could bite their local "giant pink ape." Don't blame the species, blame the owner.

Really, this is handler error. Do not blame the species. These are non socialized wild caughts.

Except for the two that will bite, my wild caught quads won't even gape--even when the vet is trying really really hard to make them gape so she can look down their throats.[/QUOTE]

So like most cham species it just depends on the individual. But it looks like as a whole they are pretty much docile. I would agree with jpowell86 he is indeed a real stunner.

One Q-tip in rubbing alcohol. Do NOT touch the cham with it. Place it near where he can smell it and he'll let go without hurting himself or you. You can also use a sterile wipe. Again do NOT touch the animal with it.

If it can make an 18' Burmese python let go of my hand it will make a cham let go no worse for where.

Wow, he is an amazing chameleon! What great colours.
I've been bitten three or four times, but it's always been a quick bite-release.

Quad attack! He's looking good Janet, glad he finally let go. I've had a young panther attempt to eat my finger but all my quads are on the relaxed side.

One Q-tip in rubbing alcohol. Do NOT touch the cham with it. Place it near where he can smell it and he'll let go without hurting himself or you. You can also use a sterile wipe. Again do NOT touch the animal with it.

If it can make an 18' Burmese python let go of my hand it will make a cham let go no worse for where.

Yikes! An 18' python. That must have really hurt.

Thanks for the tip.

I remember once at a dog show, waiting for Best In Show, the terrier group winner (a Bull Terrier) grabbing the Lhasa Apso and just not letting go. I think people broke their hands punching this dog in the head. They twisted his testicles, but he just closed his eyes and found his Zen place. They finally got him to let go when they stuck lit cigarettes up his nose. (Lhasa Aspso recovered.)

I was most surprised by the sawing action and really feared he would saw a chunk off. And my hand still hurts.

Mess with a Quad you get the horns!

Actually, when I was trying to breed my pair of graciliors, the male was extremely excited. He was young and I am sure it was his first breeding. He's the boy in my avatar. When I put the female in his cage, he stomped around displaying and then tried to gore her! He had her down on the ground on her back. It felt like forever before I could open the door and grab her out from among the ficus trees. The funny part was that she was receptive. I put her back in her cage, let everyone settle down and then put him into her cage. They bred hours after he tried to gore her. I no longer ever put a male and female together and shut the door.

Except for the two that will bite, my wild caught quads won't even gape--even when the vet is trying really really hard to make them gape so she can look down their throats.

So like most cham species it just depends on the individual. But it looks like as a whole they are pretty much docile. I would agree with jpowell86 he is indeed a real stunner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if he hasn't been touched then he will be scared of you so he would defend himself and Wild caught isn't the problem my Jax is wild caught and he is happy with handling

Back
Top Bottom