Damaged crest/medication advice

winterbones

Hi all,

so my veiled chameleon has had a damaged crest (a small ridge pulling away from the main crest ridge) for maybe around a month, it didn't look burned or anything so I'm assuming it is due to the other leading cause: build up of dead skin. It had been looking fine and not bothering him, but when I came home the other day it had eventually fell off/he's pulled or knocked it off himself. Unfortunately it was bleeding slightly in one area (though it had congealed by this point) the rest had healed well underneath, and his crest is slightly puffy at either side of the wound (indicating a slight infection).

I called to make an appointment with my local vet, however the closest exotic/reptile vet is a 2 hour drive away. My local vet said one of the other vets at my local practice have some experience and could take him for a look.
I read on several threads on here about the crest falling away etc, so I know this is definitely what it is, however I would like some advice on which medication would be best? I want to ensure I can ask the vet about certain medications in case he is unsure (I'm not sure if some medicines for other animals may be bad for chameleons).

One of the other threads said their vet gave them a sterile irrigation rinse and a sulphate cream with antibiotics in it.

Any info or knowledge from experience would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have a picture of this?

A picture would help describe what you are trying to say.

It is definitely VERY serious and this could lead to infection. Really there isn't much you can do until you go to a vet and he medicates it. There is nothing to joke about here.

How badly damaged is the crest?

Hi thanks for the response. Unfortunately I can't get a picture at this moment in time as my phone is away for repairs and I don't own any other kind of camera. From the other threads on chameleonforums though this is definitely what he has. I was told from a breeder it can be from a burn or a build up of tissue. His heat lamp is not in his cage nor close enough to burn him and his UV is 5% as recommended, is also outside his cage as in on for the 10-12 hours per day recommendation. Again, several people have told me it is nothing to be too concerned about granted that it doesn't bleed when it falls off, thus the bleeding indicates he's accidentally bumped it off prematurely. My vet appointment is tomorrow morning, I just wanted some advice on which medication (aka which antibiotic cream) would work best so I can ensure he gets the best medication.

"There is nothing to joke about here", I neither find this a joke, nor funny? I'm very concerned, my chameleon is more than a pet to me, he is family.

He has a new crest ridge underneath that is perfectly formed with no issues, just one small bit (maybe half a cm is slightly bleeding).

Here are the threads with the info on this happening to other members, and pictures provided (which look identical to my chameleon's crest)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/crest-lifting-away-68436/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/veil-cracking-62481/index2.html

https://www.chameleonforums.com/broken-cask-omg-67611/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/help-please-part-casque-broke-off-54440/

thanks

We had some problems with our panthers spikes along his spine. He basically had some sort of skin fungal infection from a build up of dead old skin, our vet gave us a human pile cream called preparation H. Might not be of any use to you but it's worth a shot. Also baytril & flamazine (this isn't the exact name or spelling but its along the lines) I have seen these used for problems like yours :) Fingers crossed for you :)

Hope all goes well at the vet. I'm wondering how your humidity is? Is it possible that the skin is dried out near the site and he is rubbing it on something because it is itchy? Perhaps a few extra mistings to help with the "shed"? I hope your cham is better soon and back to normal! ;)

Okay so I dug out my old phone, please excuse the quality as there is no flash and the phone is several years old!

The dark spot is the congealed blood.

I don't have a picture of the crest pulling away unfortunately, just these pictures of after it had fallen off. However, I have attached an image of someone else's chameleon (far right) with the same issue and this is what my chameleon's crest looked like prior to falling off

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 328
  • crest.jpg
    crest.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 411
Thanks for the medication advice, I'll ask the vet about them!

I read about humidity sometimes being the cause, but his humidity is always perfect and I make misting a top priority (especially when he is shedding) so I don't think this is the cause. Can fungal infections cause this? Coincidentally enough it did begin with his latest shed. I'm just concerned about it bleeding and puffiness as it seems it has been bumped off instead of falling off naturally.

Yeah, that's why I think maybe he helped it off. ;) I'd want something for possible infection, but I'm curious what started it to begin with.

Yeah, that's why I think maybe he helped it off. ;) I'd want something for possible infection, but I'm curious what started it to begin with.

Yeah he is VERY impatient with his shedding, however it was pretty solid last time I check which makes me think he's been hitting it off a branch or something! Yeah I'm pretty sure it may be infected considering the puffiness around the wound :( I'm really uncertain also, as usually it is a burn or build up of skin due to lack of misting =/ He's never had any issues with his shedding and like I said his misting and humidity are a top priority for me especially when he is shedding, however there's no possible way he could have burned himself and it didn't look burned before it fell/was yanked off. So confused!

Well it could be different but my panther's skin infection was caused because his humidity was too low. However we did everything we could to keep it high and at the correct percentage. Basically on mine, his skin turned black (everyone said it was a burn, it wasn't), it went crusty and scabby and bled when he scratched at it. When parts of the scab started falling off his insides were practically on show, but this was along his spine/ribs. I hope I haven't scared you at all! Let me know what the outcome was at the vets as i'm interested to know :)

Well it could be different but my panther's skin infection was caused because his humidity was too low. However we did everything we could to keep it high and at the correct percentage. Basically on mine, his skin turned black (everyone said it was a burn, it wasn't), it went crusty and scabby and bled when he scratched at it. When parts of the scab started falling off his insides were practically on show, but this was along his spine/ribs. I hope I haven't scared you at all! Let me know what the outcome was at the vets as i'm interested to know :)

Aww poor thing :(

Vets went extremely well, it's not infected and doesn't require any medication. He also got a general check-up and the vet was extremely pleased with him, said he is a very healthy and well cared for Chameleon :)

The vet agrees with me that he thinks the branch under his basking spot is too high for when he is shedding. Mylo has a habit of staying under his lamp all day when he is shedding, and regardless of countless misting and perfect humidity, the top of his casque is drying out too easily from where he is sitting, thus the build up occurred.

So basically when he begins to shed I'll need to move his branch down lower so he'#s less inclined to stay there all day cooking himself!

I'm to leave his cut be as it is healed over, and tryt let it dry out. If in a week or so it still looks red I'm going to dab it once a day with some cooled tea as it works as a natural antibiotic, but the main thing just now is keeping the scab dry.

Glad he is doing well! Hope this is the last time he does this ;). I might consider moving the basking spot permanently because they are almost always shedding something as they get older!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom