D3 overdose

Eddie3187

Established Member
Sooo I recently acquired 2 jacksons chameleons from Craigslist. The person posted them for 500$ which was outrageous considering the terrible conditions they lived in. Anyways I got the 2 chameleons for 100$, I just couldn’t let these 2 animals suffer in those conditions so I’m considering it a rescue. Now I have 7 chameleons in my house! .... both the male and female lived in the same enclosure together, which was a zoo med reptibreeze kit with the dual dome light fixture. The previous owner told me she used reptivite with D3 and calcium without D3. She said she dusted with calcium everyday. When she gave me the calcium i read the label and it also contains D3. I’m unaware how long she had the chameleons but they were given D3 everyday..
Anyways now that they are in my care I can tell how lethargic they are and both of them don’t have the strongest grip when they grab me. I’m guessing they are suffering from D3 overdose. What can I do?

Also I am unaware is they are xanths. She said she spent 500 on the pair. The male is about 5in from snout to vent and and the previous owner said he’s 2 years old. the female is about the same size and she’s supposedly 8 months old. The male does have some yellow on his sides and the female has red eye turrets.

Attachments

• F41D6935-5F40-4364-838F-EA2684DBE680.jpeg
    F41D6935-5F40-4364-838F-EA2684DBE680.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 2F781D30-FC50-476A-9FBF-F6101FEDA5A2.jpeg
    2F781D30-FC50-476A-9FBF-F6101FEDA5A2.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 136
Well over supplementation would be a worry. But you also mention that they only had a dual dome light which would mean a compact UVB bulb.
I am not nearly qualified to assist with Jackson's as my knowledge is very minimal.
@JacksJill is who I turn to for all things Jackson's :)

They are xanths. If they have been overdosed on D3 stop all supplements for a couple of weeks. They can have UVB light or sunlight just don't over heat them. You can give them one dose of vitamin supplement with vitamin A now. Then in two weeks start them back on plain calcium. After a month is they seem stronger resume a normal supplement schedule. Hydrate hydrate hydrate to support them while their bodies clear the excess D3. It is a fat soluble vitamin and takes a lot of time to clear.
Here is a link to the care sheet if you don't have it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/ and another good link.

They are xanths. If they have been overdosed on D3 stop all supplements for a couple of weeks. They can have UVB light or sunlight just don't over heat them. You can give them one dose of vitamin supplement with vitamin A now. Then in two weeks start them back on plain calcium. After a month is they seem stronger resume a normal supplement schedule. Hydrate hydrate hydrate to support them while their bodies clear the excess D3. It is a fat soluble vitamin and takes a lot of time to clear.
Here is a link to the care sheet if you don't have it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/ and another good link.
Thanks for always being so helpful! You are a wonderful person and a treasure here on our forum community!

I have Repashy vitamin A would this be sufficient?

Yes, or just vitamin A from a human vitamin capsule.
You will have to be careful to monitor them both closely. D3, in simple terms, allows calcium to be absorbed from the digestive system and deposited in the bones. In the case of an overdose Ca will be pulled out of the bones and deposited in the organs. The calcification destroys the organ eventually. This is why you don't give calcium for a while with D3 overdose. They will still need calcium for metabolic function so you will have to keep an eye on them for signs of low calcium like poor coordination or tremors. If that happens you may have to give a dose of calcium earlier than planned. Vitamin A can block the effects of D3 and a dose now may prevent some of the damage. I've heard of people fasting them for a week so they use up their fat storage but I'm not sure it's a good idea to starve a compromised animal so I'd cut back to a half or third of normal if they are willing to eat. The hydration is just to better support any affected organs and make up for the reduced feedings.
I'm more concerned about the older male because a growing female will have more use for D3 and calcium.
Ultimately this would all be better if done under the supervision of a veterinarian. Sorry i didn't go into all this yesterday but i was working on a short deadline.

Last edited:
Yes, or just vitamin A from a human vitamin capsule.
You will have to be careful to monitor them both closely. D3, in simple terms, allows calcium to be absorbed from the digestive system and deposited in the bones. In the case of an overdose Ca will be pulled out of the bones and deposited in the organs. The calcification destroys the organ eventually. This is why you don't give calcium for a while with D3 overdose. They will still need calcium for metabolic function so you will have to keep an eye on them for signs of low calcium like poor coordination or tremors. If that happens you may have to give a dose of calcium earlier than planned. Vitamin A can block the effects of D3 and a dose now may prevent some of the damage. I've heard of people fasting them for a week so they use up their fat storage but I'm not sure it's a good idea to starve a compromised animal so I'd cut back to a half or third of normal if they are willing to eat. The hydration is just to better support any affected organs and make up for the reduced feedings.
I'm more concerned about the older male because a growing female will have more use for D3 and calcium.
Ultimately this would all be better if done under the supervision of a veterinarian. Sorry i didn't go into all this yesterday but i was working on a short deadline.
I love reading your replies and how you explain such intricate information in a way where anyone can understand and learn. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom