Custom made cricket feeder

KatCham

Established Member
Yes!! I've bitten the bullet and decided to try Simba on crix :eek:

They seem a bit meatier than locusts and it gives him a bit of variety now I have no silks to feed at the mo :rolleyes:

Making sure they're well fed so they're nutritious for him.

003-28.jpg

002-28.jpg

004-23.jpg

After trying with one and it repeatedly ending up on the floor, I've borrowed the idea of quite a few and converted a milk carton into a cricket feeder:

005-23.jpg

Mesh at the bottom, so water can get out, and at the back so crix can climb up and encourage him to shoot at them:

007-16.jpg

Popped a couple of crix in:

009-18.jpg

And he wasn't interested!! LOL :rolleyes:

010-14.jpg

011-19.jpg

He just sat there, wondering what it was I was doing!! LOL!

012-14.jpg

He is beautiful good luck with the crickets! :D
I make the same thing for my guy who is blind after seeing it on here. the guy called it the Sunny D death Trap. I can't remember the thread but they are awesome, my guy loves it!

Oh i love ur sunny d ones!

And ur free range for that matter!

Love the vid. Wish we could get hornworms!

Had to share this pic. Taken just after he at the cricket.

Who's the man!!!! LOL!!! :D

007-18.jpg

My jackson does great on the bottle feeder. Also I dont have to worry/wonder if he is getting the food. Not very nice to look at, I want to make one that is not so ugly.

Oh yes, definite shame about the looks

I was thinking of maybe a hollowed out log with a big hole in the side but i
Think you would have to line the inside with plastic apart from the back
So the critters couldn't climb out

I'll have a go at a sketch to show what I mean :)

ROUGH sketch of my log feeder idea.

The whole thing would need to be waterproof varnished I'd think.

AND the bottom would need to be deeper so the bugs don't crawl out of the front.

You get the idea anyway:

229.jpg

I've not actually seen him eat out of the feeder, but here he is checking it out yesterday morning:

228.jpg

There were no bugs in there today so he must have eaten them as they aren't under the pots or anywhere in the enclosure.

I'll post a pic if I ever do get round to making the log feeder.

So, tell me again why the crix won't/cant jump out of these things. I'm looking at the one I just made and I'm thinking that they can totally jump out...:confused:

I use one of these for my Veiled and only occasionally are they smart enough to jump out, which has only happened to me like twice since i got her. They cling onto the mesh and aren't smart enough to figure out they can jump lol it is kinda funny because all the crickets i put in tend to just walk all over each other at the top and panic. :D

I use one of these for my Veiled and only occasionally are they smart enough to jump out, which has only happened to me like twice since i got her. They cling onto the mesh and aren't smart enough to figure out they can jump lol it is kinda funny because all the crickets i put in tend to just walk all over each other at the top and panic. :D

So you haven't witnessed any panic freefall jumping? :D

I used the sunny d death trap idea and made two of them, one for each enclosure for my male and female Jackson. They both use it and will eat most crickets that I put in it for them. The first couple days they weren't interested but then once they got use to it they use it and will go and eat crickets from it when they get hungry. Make sure to put some branches close to it so the Chams can get close enough to it to grab the crickets. Sparty will sometimes hang out right in front of the cup watching them in total interest. For some strange reason the crickets will never jump when they are hanging on the side of the cup. The only time a cricket will ever get out of it is when the Chams go for the cricket and it doesn't stick all the way and it goes flying. It really works out great as I am at work all day during the week unable to feed them during the day.

Yes it is really funny watching them all hang out mostly at the top walking over eachother unable to figure out how to get out. I also put some cricket crack and carrots at the bottom so they can still feed staying nice and gutloaded whilst waiting to become victim to a hungry Cham :D

sorry to bring an old one back from the dead,
but i have to say thanks for the pics
vids and sharing of knowledge bombs. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom