curious if anyone has refused a cham sale ???

stacy76

have any of you ever refused to sell one of your chameleons to someone because you thought the cham wouldnt be cared for properly or for other reasons???just curious....

That would be a yes. I know several of us who will not sell to anyone who has no idea what they are doing and no desire to learn before they buy chams. I am one of those.

That would be a yes. I know several of us who will not sell to anyone who has no idea what they are doing and no desire to learn before they buy chams. I am one of those.
It's so sad that unfortunately, you are of the few and far between. So many of these pet stores are just wanting the $ and too many people just want chameleons for the novelty of it. :( Thank goodness for the forums I say, but good on you for screening peeps. I would do the same. I would rather have a house of full of chams before selling to someone that won't do any researh and care for them properly. :D

Yes, definitely!

I was in the process of screening buyers who wanted to buy my little panther cross hatchlings, and was not having a problem finding people who wanted one male, or one female. But then I had a few people who wanted to buy females in bulk, like 10 at a time. I thought was was highly suspicious. I asked them if they were breeding and they said no, they just wanted pets. 10 pet females? I wasn't born yesterday. I suspected they either wanted to set up a breeding project with my girls (who remember, are crosses) or they were going to turn around and re-sell them for a lot more money (because I was charging super little.) Either way, it seemed like a sketchy situation.

In the end I kept several of the girls myself. They're better off with me!

lol- I still have ALL my babies, but could have also sold every one of them - but did not - the thing is, it was not the fact they had never had one- ( a few did ) but they would NOT do any research on Jax - " oh, I had a cham before, I know what to do, it was a .... "
I have no issue selling to someone who has never had a cham- we all had a "first one" - as long as they are willing to take care of one, and work w/ me to be sure all is well - here is my post on baby selling - lol

https://www.chameleonforums.com/do-i-have-right-force-forum-108728/

* Edit : I did send 2 babies to Laurie's sister, she has had chams 40+ yrs- so she passed my test - LOL so I did "sell" 2 I guess- but I have all the rest

If you truly care about your babies be very careful where they go. When I breed my pet veileds I was extremely picky and made allot of people mad but who cares. I wanted good home for them because I loved each and every one of those precious little babies. I didn't care about making money. I just wanted them to have kind, loving and forever homes. Even as picky as I was some of the homes where they were placed I was very disappointed with and wish I could have got the babies back. The people that I homed them with looked so good when I gave them a baby but ended up not being good at all. :eek: It's especially hard with veileds because they are breed to death. Some people constantly over breed the females and then sale the babies for like $20.00. It's disgusting. Veileds are truly wonderful chameleons and so underrated and so very underpriced. That's why we see them on here dying all the time.

How could you not love these precious little ones begging for their mama to hold them?

babies043010033.jpg

babies043010035.jpg

babies043010023.jpg

If you truly care about your babies be very careful where they go. When I breed my pet veileds I was extremely picky and made allot of people mad but who cares. I wanted good home for them because I loved each and every one of those precious little babies. I didn't care about making money. I just wanted them to have kind, loving and forever homes. Even as picky as I was some of the homes where they were placed I was very disappointed with and wish I could have got the babies back. The people that I homed them with looked so good when I gave them a baby but ended up not being good at all. :eek: It's especially hard with veileds because they are breed to death. Some people constantly over breed the females and then sale the babies for like $20.00. It's disgusting. Veileds are truly wonderful chameleons and so underrated and so very underpriced. That's why we see them on here dying all the time.

How could you not love these precious little ones begging for their mama to hold them?

Ive never paid less than $150 for my veiled's thank you very much :)

Wow its been a while since ive bought a veiled. I still remember saving up for my first veiled because i didnt want to get one of those cheap parsons that werent very hardy.

thanks for all the input.i have 15 eggs incubating and was wondering about all of this..i have kinyongia boehmei's and it seems everyone wants the females only, or a pair...but they are related,they all have same father but different mothers and some still wanted a pair..little leaf thanks for thread,very helpfull..

you are very welcome :D when you are excited for the person to have your cham, and not worried, that is a good feeling , and you know its the right person :D

I have someone coming Sat/ to pick up a little guy who just needs a good home- I am excited :D I am just giving him the cham, its one of those cases that I KNOW the cham will have a GREAT home, and you can not put a price on that, and I never even knew the babies were coming, their birth was an unexpected gift to me from Olive anyway ( she's such a good girl :D ) anyway, I am sure you will do fine when it comes to picking new parents for your babies :)

and Jann- OMG- those little guys are SOOOOO cute !!

I can honestly say I've "scared" more people away from buying from me at shows than I've sold to. You can tell really quickly who wants to learn and do the right thing and who wants the "cool" lizard but don't want to learn how to take care of them. The people who take the time to ask about them and their care are the ones you try to sell to. Am I positive every Cham I sold went to a perfect home no, but I try to make sure the people that buy them have as much info as I can give them to be successful. And if I really don't feel comfortable with a buyer I let my wife at them. :D

You can bet when my eggs hatch in a few months I will be screening buyers and will not hesitate to say no if they do not seem like a good match. If they haven't had a cham before but are interested and do the research (and can prove it) then I won't necessarily say no to those.

If they haven't had a cham before but are interested and do the research (and can prove it) then I won't necessarily say no to those.

I found that the new keepers ended up being better than some of the priors. They joined the forums, did tons of research, posted their set ups (way before their baby arrived) and ask tons of questions.

I work at a chain petstore and I refuse sales if I know people are not going to invest in the necessities (aka lights, proper size enclosure, etc.) to keep their pet alive and happy. Half the people coming in are like "What? Just 40 dollars for a lizard? I want to buy it." When in reality we all know it costs you way more than that and a lot of your time to care for the animal properly.

I work at a chain petstore and I refuse sales if I know people are not going to invest in the necessities (aka lights, proper size enclosure, etc.) to keep their pet alive and happy. Half the people coming in are like "What? Just 40 dollars for a lizard? I want to buy it." When in reality we all know it costs you way more than that and a lot of your time to care for the animal properly.

You are one awesome Canadian!

you are very welcome :D when you are excited for the person to have your cham, and not worried, that is a good feeling , and you know its the right person :D

I have someone coming Sat/ to pick up a little guy who just needs a good home- I am excited :D I am just giving him the cham, its one of those cases that I KNOW the cham will have a GREAT home, and you can not put a price on that, and I never even knew the babies were coming, their birth was an unexpected gift to me from Olive anyway ( she's such a good girl :D ) anyway, I am sure you will do fine when it comes to picking new parents for your babies :)

and Jann- OMG- those little guys are SOOOOO cute !!

Sammy will be his name... (Short for Samuel L Jackson of course!)

Ive never paid less than $150 for my veiled's thank you very much :)

Wow its been a while since ive bought a veiled. I still remember saving up for my first veiled because i didnt want to get one of those cheap parsons that werent very hardy.

$150? I think that's way too much for a Veiled. Seriously, just because you pay more doesn't always make it better... I think mills are terrible, but at the same time I sometimes feel that breeders charge insane amounts for chameleons. I wish they could all have a standard price, hehe, and I could buy them at Costco. Anyways, that's the way the cookie crumbles. Some breeders think they are selling living gold for an average cham, and then there are mills that mass produce through inbreeding...Find a middle-road.

Back
Top Bottom