curious if anyone has refused a cham sale ???

Just to clarify, the person who made the comment about the $150 veileds was talking about IN THE 90's. So two decades ago, when Parson's also cost about that much or less. Yes, Parson's, the ones that now sell for thousands. So the price of things changes heavily with supply and demand. Now veiled babies cost so little to purchase that unless you're selling a lot of them and breeding your own food you're taking a loss at a pricetag of $40.

Mike you and I do not come close to thinking alike. Mine is from experience.

Mine is from experience too....I'm old. :)

I always provided customers with my caresheet, not some random one they find on their own. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

I've recently returned to the hobby after a long absence, and have the victim of "over-screening" by breeders. It has been almost impossible to get a breeder to sell me an animal without providing everything but my mother's maiden name. It's been a huge PITA. So I order from dealers. All they care is that I have money.

So after years of the "buy CB" mantra, I have yet to purchase one recently.

When I purchased my first cham a few weeks ago, I wish the lady at the store asked me more questions about my research and planning. It would have made me feel better about buying from them.

When I purchased my first cham a few weeks ago, I wish the lady at the store asked me more questions about my research and planning. It would have made me feel better about buying from them.

Pets shops sell pets as lose leaders to get you to buy all the other crap and an endless supply of crickets :p

You would think that after 20 years of commercial lizard sales they would have little $250 setups with the lizard in it already as a turn key option.

"Here Sir is your adult cage with correct light,substrate,vines,humidifier, and feeder powder". "Gee maybe they will come back for the yearly lights and powder, and buy all the feeders from us".

That seems to make them more money then "hey lets sell this lizard for $50 that we paid $25 for and has eaten over $10 in crickets in the last 2 months", "and lets not tell them about all the stuff we could sell them to make it healthly, cuz they might not like the upfront price".

I work for an "evil empire", and unfortunately it's true. Granted, there are good people in some of the bad stores. I interrogate people a bit too much probably and often make people back down. If they were actually not impulse shopping and want to learn, they are not so easily swayed when we start talking habitats and lighting. I never do it in a snotty way, but you can be guaranteed I am a tad overprotective when it comes to animals I care for on a regular basis.

They don't really want us to be super strict, because they want more people to spend money... but I can't imagine how it would be profitable to sell an animal that is likely to die from improper care. They can usually do a return and the store eats the financial cost.. as well as sacrifice a wonderful living creature. How that can benefit ANYone is beyond me.

I think proper equipment alone is enough to sway the majority of people who want them because they look cool. Even though sometimes I have to repeat over and over that there are some things you just can't skimp on when it comes to animal care. I may have to go extreme and tattoo it to my forehead at this point.

Back
Top Bottom