Cup feeding vs free ranging

EarlMT

I was curious if you guys let your superworms/butter/wax/hornworms FR in the cage for your chameleons to Hunt or left them in a cup for them to eat? If so how did you get them to take to a cup? Thanks!

I cup feed insects that like to crawl under stuff and hide like roaches and superworms and bugs that crawl around during the day I free range like grass hoppers, silkworms, hornworms and the like.

I cup feed insects that like to crawl under stuff and hide like roaches and superworms and bugs that crawl around during the day I free range like grass hoppers, silkworms, hornworms and the like.
So hornworms don't hide they crawl around the whole inclosure? I don't get them often they're a dollar fifty a piece where I am

Hornworms will wonder around but they won't hide. I just cup feed bugs that hide during the day like roaches. I tried free range feeding roaches but they just hid under cage furniture and plant pots.

I hand feed or cup feed because I also worry if they free range feed they will hurt their tongue or get it wrapped around a branch or something.
How do you get them to successfully eat out of a cup? If I hold a cup by my Cham he goes and hides slowly. Also the only thing he has eaten out of the cup I keep in his cage is a couple hornworms.

I just got a few 4 packs of mini glass bowl/cups from the dollar store (prob about 3" wide) and the only thing that has gotten out of them were the crickets because they jump..( have put worms and roaches in them). I just leave stuff in the bowl and make a branch that goes down close to the edge and it all disappears. Also makes it so they cant rub the Calcium dust off on the dirt and such in the cage :)

I hand feed most of my feeders, but sometimes I leave him a cup if food to eat when I am at school. He only eats his supers when the are on the side of the screen though:confused:

I used to let all my crickets free range in the cage that was also the majority of my feeders previously. However after cleaning countless dead crickets from the corners and the backs and under things I realized it's best not to over feed for 1 thing, and also, yes cup feeding is better with not just crickets but everything! Dubias and superworms are too good at burrowing and hiding under stuff. So use a cup I say however if some get out like a cricket or Dubia getting out, thats ok, just let your chameleon hunt it down. I'll just note that I personally like substrates, though they create many problems, one being a countless number of hiding places for your feeder bugs.

I used to let all my crickets free range in the cage that was also the majority of my feeders previously. However after cleaning countless dead crickets from the corners and the backs and under things I realized it's best not to over feed for 1 thing, and also, yes cup feeding is better with not just crickets but everything! Dubias and superworms are too good at burrowing and hiding under stuff. So use a cup I say however if some get out like a cricket or Dubia getting out, thats ok, just let your chameleon hunt it down. I'll just note that I personally like substrates, though they create many problems, one being a countless number of hiding places for your feeder bugs.
Is there anything wrong with feeding just crickets? I know you're supposed to vary insects but how often should it be switched up?

And how did you get your cham to cup feed? Mine has only ate out of the cup in his cage one time when I put in hornworms

Is there anything wrong with feeding just crickets? I know you're supposed to vary insects but how often should it be switched up?
I'm sure opinions will vary. I give a different bug every feeding. I currently have dubia, supers, and calci. I also rotate through silks, horns and blue bottle flies. I feed heavier with the latter 3 when I have them since they don't keep very long. If you really want to get into it, I suggest getting this book:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-guide-to-reptile-amphibian-nutriton/

I'm sure opinions will vary. I give a different bug every feeding. I currently have dubia, supers, and calci. I also rotate through silks, horns and blue bottle flies. I feed heavier with the latter 3 when I have them since they don't keep very long. If you really want to get into it, I suggest getting this book:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-guide-to-reptile-amphibian-nutriton/
How did you get your cham to take to different foods? Mine wouldn't try dubias and I think the superworms I've been trying to give him have just been to big. Also which Do you cup feed And which do you free range?

Back
Top Bottom