Cross panthers and who loves them!

Kat_72

Established Member
My very first Chameleon was a cross. I didn’t know much about it then or care really. I just loved him. He had amazing colors and showed so much at an early age and then just kept changing until he finally hit mature colors.
He’s a beautiful boy and has produced some beautiful babies with his once ever breeding. So I took the cross a little further and mated him with my noseybe beauty.
Now I get to see these guys grow and change which is a pretty cool honor to have.
So who all loves their hybrid/Cross panthers? And show them off please!!

As quoted by Forrest Gump: My momma always said, "Hybrid 'meleons are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Forreal though, I absolutely love to see what colors they throw through adolescence into adulthood! My first panther back in the day was an Ambanja-Nosy Be hybrid named Cobalt:

3cbrCJr.jpg

12 years later I acquired a baby Ambanja-Nosy Be hybrid and low and behold, he turned out strikingly similar to Cobalt (still only 5 months old here):

Ny3uNgV.jpg

Personally don't consider crossing locales hybrids.

A hybrid would be a Panther and an Oustlets. Which was done before, and not for very long I think I remember there being negative effects.

What your talking about would be a Cross, they are still pure Panthers.

That said I have seen some pretty Crosses.

Personally don't consider crossing locales hybrids.

A hybrid would be a Panther and an Oustlets. Which was done before, and not for very long I think I remember there being negative effects.

What your talking about would be a Cross, they are still pure Panthers.

That said I have seen some pretty Crosses.
Thank you for clearing that up. I think I have just always heard them thrown together. That would be a bad thing then for many reasons. I meant Cross locale then correct? Makes sense why so many are against the hybrid. I don’t think I would go for that...well I know I wouldn’t.

As quoted by Forrest Gump: My momma always said, "Hybrid 'meleons are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Forreal though, I absolutely love to see what colors they throw through adolescence into adulthood! My first panther back in the day was an Ambanja-Nosy Be hybrid named Cobalt:

3cbrCJr.jpg

12 years later I acquired a baby Ambanja-Nosy Be hybrid and low and behold, he turned out strikingly similar to Cobalt (still only 5 months old here):

Ny3uNgV.jpg
Beautiful boys! I have a clutch with those colors I will have to update the photos. They are showing that beautiful teal noseybe and the Ambanja bars. However with Ambilobe in the mix that could all change. The females are quite impressive as well. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for clearing that up. I think I have just always heard them thrown together. That would be a bad thing then for many reasons. I meant Cross locale then correct? Makes sense why so many are against the hybrid. I don’t think I would go for that...well I know I wouldn’t.

Yep cross locale. Or like "Ambilobe x Nosy Be" for Matt's example.

At least that's the way I have always seen it worded. And yes Hybrids, can have serious issues, likely not such a good idea. Not my place to judge though what others do.

As far as crossing locales, and people not liking that, I think that's because they want to keep the bloodlines pure. Just like with dogs, some people are purists and care very deeply about it.

I could see some mixes being labeled as hybrids. Though I have yet to see them avaible in captivity (I have been looking!) Lokalform Vohimana (I think that's how you spell it lol (it wasn't fixed it)) is techincally a panther, but it lives in a rainforest reserve, and is actually a Montane, there is a couple others, one of them I have seen in the captivity, but all of them are in protected reserves so their legality is questionable.

Lokalform is pretty neat, I want one :). For those that have never heard of it. It's pretty neat,
https://www.madcham.de/en/lokalform-vohimana/

Last edited:

3cbrCJr.jpg

Ny3uNgV.jpg
Wow! He is striking!

I wish we could see all of the different crosses and expressions! I am partial to the vibrancy of the Ambilobes but reeeaaalllly want to work with a blue cross soon. My next babies will definitely be a cross :)

Back
Top Bottom