critique, advice, etc

FroggtheCham

Here's Joey. WC Melleri in my care for 2.5 days. I signed for the box at 1015 and was in my vets office at 1045. We opened the box together and Joey got the "twice" over. I thought he/she was in pretty good condition.
This is Joey in the shower in his/her free range last night.

DSC02958.jpg

DSC029561.jpg

Joey does have obvious swelling of the left leg. My vet promptly did an x-ray and it is not broken. There is no visible trauma to the site or skin of this leg. Internal muscular damage from capture/shipping??? All other limbs, feet, claws are good.
DSC02957.jpg

DSC02959.jpg

Compared to these pics, the leg may look a little better, not much tho.

ambient room temp: 72-75
basking temp:85-88
humidity: 50-80%
watering 3-5xday for 20 min. If he/she is still drinking I let water go longer. I showered Joey when we got home from vet for approx 30 min. When I put him/her in the free range, he/she was still trying to lick stuff, so I turned water on in there and he/she drank for additional 15 min.
feeding: Joey has eaten a total of 4 hornworms, 3-4 silkworns, a few dozen crickets with a few lightly dusted with multi vite, and 3 dubia since Wed. I didn't see him/her eat today.
Stool sample "captured" tonight after office hours of course. I have it refrigerated. It didn't look as bad as I had expected either. I had envisioned ascaris wriggling about!!:p A decent sized portion of the urate was very white, the rest very yellow/orange.
enclosure: free range room approx 5feetx10feet with many horizontal vines and perches. All live plants and trees. 5.0 48inch reptiglo, 48inch grow light, linear fluorescent bulb, 2 50w incandescent bulbs at different distances from basking perches, at angle to basking perch.

let me know what you think.......

Last edited:
He looks good for WC and I know you will give him/her the best you can. I like that rain chamber set up you got there!

Thank you Donna. I'm gonna do my best for him/her. I'm glad you like the shower!! I figured this way he/she can get plenty of water without the added stress of handling. I'll keep you updated on our progress!!:)

Get your temps down a tad-although one of my Mellers has two basking spots-one 80 and one 85. Easy on the mulitivte. They can be a bit sensitive-and light but consistent on the calcium-I feed 4 days a week, and 3 of those feedings have calcium. Good luck. That is certainly a WC that will take some acclimating. A few sheds will help the rough skin look.

Get your temps down a tad-although one of my Mellers has two basking spots-one 80 and one 85. Easy on the mulitivte. They can be a bit sensitive-and light but consistent on the calcium-I feed 4 days a week, and 3 of those feedings have calcium. Good luck. That is certainly a WC that will take some acclimating. A few sheds will help the rough skin look.

Thanks. I'll adjust the basking temp. The temp on the second basking spot is cooler, but he/she hasn't ventured to that side of the room yet. I only did the light dusting once, since I knew Joey hasn't eaten for awhile. I chose to free-range to help with acclimating. Hoping the room will help. The skin is rough, but I am glad there were no cuts or sores to deal with too!! We'll slowly work through the rest.

Back
Top Bottom