Crickets that don't smell

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Banded crickets(Gryllodes sigillatus)

I see TONS of posts about how terrible crickets smell or how they die off constantly. I figured I'd post because I'm sure anyone saying this hasn't tried banded crickets. With good ventilation+space(like you should have anyway) there is extremely minimal die off, if any at all, and no smell other than food. If you let the whole bin die and rot, I'm sure it'd smell just like anything else decaying, but this should never happen. If it does, you're doing something wrong with them.

Banded crickets(Gryllodes sigillatus)

I see TONS of posts about how terrible crickets smell or how they die off constantly. I figured I'd post because I'm sure anyone saying this hasn't tried banded crickets. With good ventilation+space(like you should have anyway) there is extremely minimal die off, if any at all, and no smell other than food. If you let the whole bin die and rot, I'm sure it'd smell just like anything else decaying, but this should never happen. If it does, you're doing something wrong with them.

I recently started driving to a different reptile store about 35 mins away just because they have banded crickets. Way less die off and basically no smell.

I personally hate them!

1) they never die! (look cool at first but.. when they escape at your home they seem to stay alive for ever!)
2)when they escape they chirp turn to be so loud!
3)they are more prompt to canibalism and are a bit more agressive
4)they are smaller in average size

But, i agree they smell better (because they are immortal! lol)

I tried them because of the smell issue as well.

My problem with branded, is that they seem to chirp at a younger age.

Usually I buy at regular crickets at 2-4 weeks old, and they chirp around 6 weeks.

Banded seemed to chirp right when I got them.

Anyone else notice this.

Moved to dubia also.

I personally hate them!

1) they never die! (look cool at first but.. when they escape at your home they seem to stay alive for ever!)
2)when they escape they chirp turn to be so loud!
3)they are more prompt to canibalism and are a bit more agressive
4)they are smaller in average size

But, i agree they smell better (because they are immortal! lol)

Fair enough lol!

Just my input

1) this is a big part of the reason they dont smell
2) I have heard a few people bring up their chirping. It never bothered me, but my bugs are kept in another room, so I haven't noticed it.
3) I have to admit I saw two crickets eating a third one time lol. Maybe this is why they seem to never die, they just eat each other up too fast? Lol, but I've had batches that were either reproducing or lived months in my enclosure. Food water and ventilation and they seem to last forever.
4) I haven't bought regulars in so long I can't remember how much smaller, but I just feed a little more of them. I figure the pros outweigh the little loss in size

Regular house crickets are cool too, I like them, but I find the general health of banded is worth it. Especially for people sensitive to smell.

You can buy non banded crickets again? I thought the house cricket was all but impossible to breed anymore, and we are stuck with banded/Jamaican.

But yes its not rocket science. full screen on at least 2 parallel sides, and you wont get die offs and ammonia build up. You want them do die, just set them up like dubia, they will all kick the bucket in a week or 2.

You can buy non banded crickets again? I thought the house cricket was all but impossible to breed anymore, and we are stuck with banded/Jamaican.

But yes its not rocket science. full screen on at least 2 parallel sides, and you wont get die offs and ammonia build up. You want them do die, just set them up like dubia, they will all kick the bucket in a week or 2.

I believe Armstrong still sells them. Not sure about others.

I don't always buy crickets, but when I do, I choose Gryllodes sigillatus... (the most interesting cricket in the world)

I just felt like way too many people are unaware of banded crickets existing. They generally seem healthier all around.

Rainbowmealworms.com also sells banded crickets. They are an awesome company with great pricing, highly recommend.

I just ordered 1000 from rainbow. Wasn't that much more compared to regular crickets.

If this fails, I'm dont with crickets.

I also tried sprinkling vermiculite on the bottom of the container but didnt seem to help

I just ordered 1000 from rainbow. Wasn't that much more compared to regular crickets.

If this fails, I'm dont with crickets.

I also tried sprinkling vermiculite on the bottom of the container but didnt seem to help

We lined our enclosures recently with vermiculite. So far haven't noticed any smell or funk. Also added buffalo beetles. But we only have a handful of crickets in there right now so not a great gauge. I'm just hoping the crickets aren't laying eggs in the vermiculite instead of the bins.

Back
Top Bottom