Crickets got out!!!

Lol I hate medium sized bugs but some of us do it for our little loves who happen to come in the shapes of chameleons! I know I tolerate the bugs bc I would rather have a chameleon than a crestie not to bask in cresties but chameleons seem more interesting lol
Nah I feel yea on that. No other reptile Intrigue me enough besides chameleons (at first warming up to others) as everyone knows I haven’t been shy how I feel about bugs but I do what I have to do to over coming my phobia one insect at a time. Just got to put your big girl pants on and the hazmat suite and get it done (y)

Nah I feel yea on that. No other reptile Intrigue me enough besides chameleons (at first warming up to others) as everyone knows I haven’t been shy how I feel about bugs but I do what I have to do to over coming my phobia one insect at a time. Just got to put your big girl pants on and the hazmat suite and get it done (y)
hahahaha I actually have one of those! (old Halloween costume

There are some good well meaning employees at those shops but overall they don’t sell animals with the intention to provide the right care while housed in their stores and they misinform people just to sell their products.

There are some good well meaning employees at those shops but overall they don’t sell animals with the intention to provide the right care while housed in their stores and they misinform people just to sell their products.
I've been considering getting a part time job at my local petco just so I can make sure all their reptiles are being properly cared for. I squeeze money from a big Corp, chams get better care, everyone wins?!

I had no idea they mistreated their Chameleons! I got my Chryssa from a Petco, actually. That's terrible :( and thank you for the info on the roaches! I dont think I'm ready to breed them, but it would be the smarter investment. I'll look into it. Also... the Red Runners breed faster, does that mean they move faster?
They just don’t set up their enclosures properly or give good info on how to properly set up your own. And sometimes those chams can be in those things for months and months at the pet store before their sold. Their fed non gutloaded crickets. It’s just all about quick turn around and money. Their corporate company after all. Anytime your dealing with live animals I prefer to pay the couple extra bucks to know they were treated and raised right and also not to be part of the problem. Just my personal opinion obviously sometimes you gotta use petco. But Yes red runners move faster so they are fun for your cham to hunt down. But.. they can live at room temp aka infest your house if your careless that’s why I said Dubias. You literally just need the roaches food and egg crates and they breed themselves nothing to it. But just get away from only crickets if possible.

Thank you!! Yeah I just fell in live with Chryssa the minute I saw her. She came right down her branch to say high to me, and begged to be held. I did research, and decided i would put up with the bugs because she's worth it. The bugs are definitely harder to deal with than I originally thought, but she is still worth it :)
You will get use to them, I am just now starting to hand pick the crickets. I use to pick them out with tongs lol, it would take me forever!

I love supporting my local mom and pops store, they only usually have 2 juveniles or 1 adult size chameleon per tank and their tanks are pretty big. For a pet store anyways. They never feed mealworms, just crickets bsfl and dubias they also dust the chameleon food!

When cleaning roach bins, always do it in your toilet so they can't escape and hide. When you are transferring them to feed your pet, put a small container in your bin, shake some roaches into the container. Then proceed to feed your pet using a feeder cup or free range.

Always prepare to squash any fast moving escapees if you have no confidence in capturing them alive.

1B66E101-D5EF-46DC-A76D-62930D0BE713.jpeg the top opens, I made it out of wood, used metal screen, the cage sits on a plastic concrete mixer tray from home depot

Last edited:
I made a bin similar to @WashingtonCham 's post because I think this setup provides so much ventilation that I don't find it to be that stinky at all! I have a rubbermaid bin that I cut out the sides and top of, hot glued aluminum mesh to the cutouts. I also find that these bins have rounded corners - easier to clean than an aquarium tank in my opinion. I keep the crix in there with plenty of egg crates. I use bottle caps for water crystals and a dry food blend. I just put the gutload veggies and fruits on the bottom of the bin.

Every week or so I clean it out by using a bathtub scrub brush to collect all waste in one area. I literally use toilet paper rolls and baby spoons to scoop it all out and into a zip lock bag or plastic grocery bag (something I can seal the smell away). Then maybe every other time I do this (so every other week or so) I use a diluted (very diluted) vinegar mixture in a small spray bottle and paper towels to wipe the bottom really well because it gets gross. I don't remove the crickets when I do this, and it has never seemed to harm or kill them. I simply move the egg crates to one side, clean it, and then just do the other side. It is annoying with crickets trying to get in your way, but having one cham means I don't have a ton of crickets and it's not an issue for me. Also, to be on the safe side, I never clean using the vinegar spray within 24 hours of feeding my cham crickets.

I made a bin similar to @WashingtonCham 's post because I think this setup provides so much ventilation that I don't find it to be that stinky at all! I have a rubbermaid bin that I cut out the sides and top of, hot glued aluminum mesh to the cutouts. I also find that these bins have rounded corners - easier to clean than an aquarium tank in my opinion. I keep the crix in there with plenty of egg crates. I use bottle caps for water crystals and a dry food blend. I just put the gutload veggies and fruits on the bottom of the bin.

Every week or so I clean it out by using a bathtub scrub brush to collect all waste in one area. I literally use toilet paper rolls and baby spoons to scoop it all out and into a zip lock bag or plastic grocery bag (something I can seal the smell away). Then maybe every other time I do this (so every other week or so) I use a diluted (very diluted) vinegar mixture in a small spray bottle and paper towels to wipe the bottom really well because it gets gross. I don't remove the crickets when I do this, and it has never seemed to harm or kill them. I simply move the egg crates to one side, clean it, and then just do the other side. It is annoying with crickets trying to get in your way, but having one cham means I don't have a ton of crickets and it's not an issue for me. Also, to be on the safe side, I never clean using the vinegar spray within 24 hours of feeding my cham crickets.
Just wanna make sure I stress that crickets are an ok meal but def not what you want to feed your cham all the time the protein and calcium content of a Dubia is much higher plus to much of one thing is never a good thing no matter what animal or human. I’m not gonna slam crickets because I know some people have no other options but if you do I can’t stress enough that its important to give at least some variety and switching to Dubias as a staple is a much healthier option (and cheaper and easier)

Just wanna make sure I stress that crickets are an ok meal but def not what you want to feed your cham all the time the protein and calcium content of a Dubia is much higher plus to much of one thing is never a good thing no matter what animal or human. I’m not gonna slam crickets because I know some people have no other options but if you do I can’t stress enough that its important to give at least some variety and switching to Dubias as a staple is a much healthier option (and cheaper and easier)

Thank you! I totally agree and I tried feeding my cham dubias for weeks and he just wouldn't take them. I tried all sizes, and I even withheld food for several days thinking if he was hungry he would try one and still no luck. I'm certainly open to trying again if anyone thinks I could do something else to get my cham interested in dubias. Most chams seem to love them so I've always been confused by mine haha. He's not generally picky. I still give tons of variety with each feeding.

Back
Top Bottom