Crickets eating sponges

Dori

Recently I have been putting sponges into my cricket bucket, soaked in water, because whenever I would put the SLIGHTEST amount of water in the bucket, plenty of them would drown somehow and die.

That gel water is expensive.

Today I realized that they have eaten lots of chunks out of the sponge. I'm concerned about my chameleon now, because technically it's eating the sponge too, right? What should I do now? Should I buy a different kind of sponge, or are there other alternatives?

Gel water isn't expensive if you use it right, but I don't suggest using it either. Use fruits and veggies for hydration.

Carrots, sweet potatoes.

Crickets eat cardboard so I wouldn't doubt they'd eat sponge too!

Carrots,potatoes, apples, leafy greens like wild dandelion occasional piece of fruit like orange melon what ever is going bad in the fridge I feed to the stinky crickets and roaches.

I had this happen too, all I done was cut the sponge to fit in to a small dish but have the top of the sponge lower than the top of the dish. since then no eating of the sponge !

Well I place my gutload on a napkin before placing it into the cricket enclosure and if you mist the napkin really good, you can watch for yourself and see the crickes will start sucking off the napkin.Its a good technique and doesnt get too messy:)

Use healthy fruits and veggies instead (dandelion leaves, carrots, sweet potatoe, apples, pears, oranges, etc). They dont need a water source beyond that. Not only does this get adequate hydration into the bug (and thus the chameleon) but also provides vitamins /nutrients for the bugs (and thus the chameleon)

i agree gel water or cricket pillows i havent notice them eating the cricket pillows :D

Back
Top Bottom