Crickets Dying

Kyler

I just got done cleaning my cricket cage out. I got rid of all the dead ones. I have done this many times and never had a problem. About a hour later I went back and looked at them and they can hardly move. Some of them are doing alright but the others can’t use there back legs at all? I’m kinda worried to feed them to my chameleon.

Kyler,

I just got done cleaning my cricket cage out. I got rid of all the dead ones. I have done this many times and never had a problem. About a hour later I went back and looked at them and they can hardly move. Some of them are doing alright but the others can’t use there back legs at all? I’m kinda worried to feed them to my chameleon.

Kyler,
Are you feeding the crickets? If not you should invest a couple bucks into feeder food, also good for gutloading. There's bites you can get that have food, water, and good for gutloading all in one. I believe they are called Nature Zone feeder bites.

What do the crickets look like? It’s possible you just got a bad batch. Crickets can be temperamental, and often die. Make sure they are getting enough food and water. If you are keeping them in a too cold place it could also make them more docile and still. Maybe there is something wrong with them, try prodding them and see if they are able to move normally. If not, just to be on the safe side, feed your chameleon the ones that look healthy.

Thanks guys! It was about 93 outside when I did the transfer and it’s about 65 in the house now. Where there at. I’m just not sure if there was something in my container when I transferred them to it and then back into there original one? I have used that same container before and have never had a problem.

Kyler,

Thanks guys! It was about 93 outside when I did the transfer and it’s about 65 in the house now. Where there at. I’m just not sure if there was something in my container when I transferred them to it and then back into there original one? I have used that same container before and have never had a problem.

Kyler,
Do you have a little warmer side/part of your house? Maybe in the 70s? 65 is a little low for them

The thing is that they have been in that same room for a long time. I have also have had many batches in that same room. So I’m not sure. I’m able to get crickets on Sunday so he should be fine?

Personally, if it was me I wouldn't feed them off in case there was some kind of residue that got into the container that is toxic. Call me paranoid, but better safe than sorry
Try putting them in a warm area for a bit and see if they perk up. If not, I'd pitch them and wait until you get more.

If you don’t have the cricket bites you can always give them potato or carrot, wich surprisingly hold a lot of water, and are safe as a gutload
Yes very much agreed! I forgot to add that, some people use broccoli as well, I usually just use carrots or the bites. :)

But why would you use patato or broccoli as it's a a bad gutload? There are plenty of alternatives.

Avoid These Ingredients

Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Kyler,
Do you use chemicals when cleaning em out?
If so I'd ditch em... Buy new crickets and also a cleaner that's reptile safe or only clean with water in the future.

I just skimmed through to say, there is really bad advice at the top.... those bites are garbage, and also carrots, brocolli, and potatoes do NOT make a quality gutload. There are extensive lists here for dry and wet gutloads. Tons of organic veggies to start. Variety is important.

Buy banded crickets, make sure they have space and ventilation... you'll have very minimal die off if you do this.

Edit: I see @Remkon showed up to talk some sense into this post right before me

I just skimmed through to say, there is really bad advice at the top.... those bites are garbage, and also carrots, brocolli, and potatoes do NOT make a quality gutload. There are extensive lists here for dry and wet gutloads. Tons of organic veggies to start. Variety is important.

Buy banded crickets, make sure they have space and ventilation... you'll have very minimal die off if you do this.

Edit: I see @Remkon showed up to talk some sense into this post right before me
I learned about 4 yrs ago by accident that those banded crickets survive way better. Had two tote bins with all screened sides. Had ordered crickets and had quite a bit die. So I went to the reptile house and got banded crickets and threw them in my other tote and hardly any died. I really never looked to much into it just knew the banded ones last way longer . Would you happen to know why?

Back
Top Bottom