crickets all dying.

mary prefontaine

Im not sure why but lately ive been having a problem keeping crickets alive. I have plenty of eggflats in there, a container of water with sponge and sifter on top and plenty of food. anyone know why their dying off so fast? there dead in a matter of days.

are you keeping them outside or in the AC? I see you are in FL. I seem to have a problem too as I keep them on my screened in patio cause I do not want those stinky things in my house. I have found since I put the cricket keeper underneath my ceiling fan during the day I have less die off. I don't know if it is too hot or what. What are you keeping them in? I was using a glass 10 gal tank with screen lid and I switched to a large rubber made tote and cut the top of and it is screen now. I am thinking that has made some of the difference too.

I live in Tampa and keep my crickets in one of the larger Cricket Keeper plastic containers...the one with the 4 black plastic square tubes.

I keep them inside the house actually in my office) and clean the cricket poop out every 2nd day...and have no smell at all.

I have 4 small cardboard tubes and a handful of small egg-crate sections.

I have removed the 4 tubes for more room and feed then in a small feeding tray that came with the unit.

Water is provided by the little green cubes and I put in lettuce chunks for extra hydration.

I've had no die-off at all and buy 4 doz at a time.

House temperatures are set at 72 degrees.

Gary
Tampa, FL

What Lance said, what age are they? Because if you are getting large crickets that may be your problem. Most of them will be at the end of their life cycle and die off regardless of how well your box is maintained. Also I would make sure, which this is a stretch, and see if your food is moldy. That will destroy them lol

Im not sure why but lately ive been having a problem keeping crickets alive. I have plenty of eggflats in there, a container of water with sponge and sifter on top and plenty of food. anyone know why their dying off so fast? there dead in a matter of days.

It can be their age/heat/humidity than can be the cause. Also what type of food are you feeding them?

Also is the food you feeding them pesticide free? It could be some pesticides that are killing them off. Just feed them organic food and it may fix the issue. Also the temp you should keep them at is between 80 to 90.

Also is the food you feeding them pesticide free? It could be some pesticides that are killing them off. Just feed them organic food and it may fix the issue. Also the temp you should keep them at is between 80 to 90.

Not at all saying you are wrong, so please do not take it that way when I say this.

The heat should not matter unless you are breeding them. Obviously unless it is around 50 degrees in your house they should be fine :D they do not need a ton of heat. Heat actually increases the death rate because it speeds up their life cycles as they mature faster. I keep my crickets in the basement on the floor, and I never have many die off.

Not at all saying you are wrong, so please do not take it that way when I say this.

The heat should not matter unless you are breeding them. Obviously unless it is around 50 degrees in your house they should be fine :D they do not need a ton of heat. Heat actually increases the death rate because it speeds up their life cycles as they mature faster. I keep my crickets in the basement on the floor, and I never have many die off.

I am not at all saying that is what was killing them off in fact I am leaning towards the food she is feeding them is not organic. Food that has pesticides will kill them off extremely fast. I was just stating the best temp to have them at. I was actually going to edit my post in saying that it may seem like its 80 to 90 but if kept in a glass aquarium could in fact be much hotter.

Last edited:
I am not at all saying that is what was killing them off in fact I am leaning towards the food she is feeding them is not organic. Food that has pesticides will kill them off extremely fast. I was just stating the best temp to have them at. I was actually going to edit my post in saying that it may seem like its 80 to 90 but if kept in a glass aquarium could in fact be much hotter.

Ahh I see :D lol No I was just adding to what you were saying really, no hard feelings :) But yes I totally agree the pesticides will do a number to the colony if exposed to it for a good amount of time.

Ahh I see :D lol No I was just adding to what you were saying really, no hard feelings :) But yes I totally agree the pesticides will do a number to the colony if exposed to it for a good amount of time.

LOL I know :D Its just sometimes people do not realize that a glass aquarium can be much hotter than the outside temp. Having a temp guage in the colony housing will show what the actual temp is. And yes I have seen it many times where pesticides will kill an entire colony not later but sooner and very quick. Think about it what were the pesticides meant to protect against? Critters eating the crops. Lets just say they can and will do their job in killing them off :eek: And some places where you buy the non organic produce will have much higher levels of pesticides than others. So you may get lucky sometimes if the levels are low enough but many times may not. Also no matter how much you may wash the produce you will never get 100% of it off. You just never know which is why you should only ever buy organic produce for our feeders.

Last edited:
i've always had bad luck with crickets i'd buy 5 dozen and the next day 20 are dead. so i switched to dubia roaches which are 100 times better and healthier

LOL I know :D Its just sometimes people do not realize that a glass aquarium can be much hotter than the outside temp. Having a temp guage in the colony housing will show what the actual temp is. And yes I have seen it many times where pesticides will kill an entire colony not later but sooner and very quick. Think about it what were the pesticides meant to protect against? Critters eating the crops. Lets just say they can and will do their job in killing them off :eek: And some places where you buy the produce will have much higher levels of pesticides than others. Also no matter how much you may wash the produce you will never get 100% of it off. You just never know which is why you should only ever buy organic product for our feeders.

And that is exactly why I started buying all organic food for my beardies as well as my feeders to gutload with, not a risk I want to take with my babies :D My girlfriend would kill me as well if something happened ha

i've always had bad luck with crickets i'd buy 5 dozen and the next day 20 are dead. so i switched to dubia roaches which are 100 times better and healthier
Dubias are boss!! Glad you made the switch! :cool:
And that is exactly why I started buying all organic food for my beardies as well as my feeders to gutload with, not a risk I want to take with my babies :D My girlfriend would kill me as well if something happened ha
I'd like to just take in a moment all the things we do for our animals...

Ok moment over. The more I think about it, the more money goes down the toilet :/

Dubias are boss!! Glad you made the switch! :cool:

I'd like to just take in a moment all the things we do for our animals...

Ok moment over. The more I think about it, the more money goes down the toilet :/

Amen! I've got the winning lotto ticket in my grubby lil hand!! :D

keeping them in large tote

Im keeping the stinky things indoors in a very large tote with a screen so they are in a/c. and im buying them 3/4 size so as not to figure on adult die off. Im also buying them from premium cricket company if that makes a difference.

This is what I do to keep my crickets alive and healthy. I use a plastic tub with lock handles, cut a hole in the lid for a screen. I place wood chips in the bottom of the cage, tear up egg crates (so its easier to harvest), I use bug burger, and organic vegetables to gut load. Yes, never use non organic vegetables. On top of them killing your cricket's studies show genetically modified crops lower fertility in mice, humans, etc. so I assume they would do the same with chams. I also use only filtered water for my bug burger, no tap. I keep them inside in a cooled environment. Make sure your egg crates are not in contact with moisture since they will absorb the moisture and not only stink but creates a bad environment. This works for me.

I live in Ft Lauderdale, I keep the crickets indoors as well. My friend suggested the I paint the plastic tub black. It worked wonders to keep them alive.

Back
Top Bottom