Cricket Setup

I have a Big Rubbermaid Container that is 28 in. long, 18 in. wide, and 16.5 in. tall. It is all gray including the lid.

Can I keep 1000 1/4" crickets in here without the lid being on?

And can my Baby Veiled Chameleon last one day without eating crickets?
(Waiting for the Crickets in the mail)

I have paper towel tubes, toilet paper tubes, and cardboard egg cartons in it that only are about 2 inches high in total.

Thanks. :cool:

If you want the crickets to get out, than yes!

And you really shouldn't wait a day to feed your baby. If it's possible, you should pick up some mealworms or something for him/her to eat for a day.

Let's see a pic of the setup!

I've kept crickets in rubbermaids before. Just get some clear packing tape and make sure you put it around the edge, that will keep them in.

Your chameleon will be fine without food for a day.

I've kept crickets in rubbermaids before. Just get some clear packing tape and make sure you put it around the edge, that will keep them in.

Your chameleon will be fine without food for a day.

If it's a baby, I would not recommend taking food for a day. If I understand, he/she is 5 weeks old(?).

Cut out a square in the lid and put some screen mesh so they have air. I use rubber maid containers and they work great. I have three containers for the crickets. One bin for the adults with organic dirt in a small plastic container to lay eggs in, one for the small dirt containers I transfer from the adult container for the babies to hatch, and one for the crickets when they get to be medium size. A continuous cycle for never having to buy crickets again :D

Mealworms aren't the greatest choice of feeders for a baby chameleon.

Either way it will live and prosper for the rest of it's life if he/she goes without food for a day. You know it happens in the wild.

Mealworms aren't the greatest choice of feeders for a baby chameleon.

Either way it will live and prosper for the rest of it's life if he/she goes without food for a day. You know it happens in the wild.

Well that's why I said feed them for a day. I know it happens in the wild obviously, but I would just say that if it's possible to feed than do because it is in a crucial state of growth.

My dad won't let me ruin the Rubbermaid, but here are the pictures.

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8571.jpg

I'll see if I can talk him in to it ;)

packing tape around the inside about 10" up will keep them inside for sure.

I've raised a few hundred panthers and veiled chameleons and trust me... they can make it a day without food.

Like said already clear packing tape around the inside no higher than 75% up from the bottom. Safe bet is doing 2 runs around side by side since you will not have a top on it.

I would change the layout of the bin also.

Stack the egg cartons if possible all on one end of the bin, and the toilet paper rolls as well.

The other side of the bin place a lid from a MacDonald's drink etc... upside down for food and another for water beside it.

This way the food/water are contained on one end and in lids to help reduce the mess. water crystals get sticky as they dry out.

Since you will have no lid keep them in a dark place when not getting crickets out imo.

Like said already clear packing tape around the inside no higher than 75% up from the bottom. Safe bet is doing 2 runs around side by side since you will not have a top on it.

I would change the layout of the bin also.

Stack the egg cartons if possible all on one end of the bin, and the toilet paper rolls as well.

The other side of the bin place a lid from a MacDonald's drink etc... upside down for food and another for water beside it.

This way the food/water are contained on one end and in lids to help reduce the mess. water crystals get sticky as they dry out.

Since you will have no lid keep them in a dark place when not getting crickets out imo.

Thanks. :) I'll do just that, then I'll post pictures

i have used the same tub setup with large holes cut in the sides and top. holes covered with aluminum screen glued with epoxy. i get crickets by the 500 for my female and they never last longer than a week...even when i transferred them into a clean bin every 3 or 4 days and cleaned the dirty one. i juststarted a black soldier fly composter bucket to start raising phoenix worms.

i have used the same tub setup with large holes cut in the sides and top. holes covered with aluminum screen glued with epoxy. i get crickets by the 500 for my female and they never last longer than a week...even when i transferred them into a clean bin every 3 or 4 days and cleaned the dirty one. i juststarted a black soldier fly composter bucket to start raising phoenix worms.

why did they all die or something that they didn't last longer than a week???

yes carol they died, idk why i was feeding them and giving them fresh water every day
]

What was the temperature at? Maybe the batch they gave you they were all old and ready to die already? But seems unlikely they would all die around the same time. What did you feed them? Were you using organic food? Pesticides could be what is killing them if the food is not actually organic.

i just use a 40gal breeder for my crickets.got 4 inches of dirt, handfull of cooked moss in 1 corner for babys to hid and like 15-20 tp tubes on the other side.

mist them when the dirt gets dry, throw collared greens in for them to eat and get fluids between mistings, and one part i nver mist for thier food.
i have around 1k crickets in it from babys to full grown.
once a month i buy 60 large crickets to help keep the gene pool from drying out.

screen lid and house bult for light / heat.
when its going to be a hot day i leave the light off and they still get light and have been doing fine like this for lil over a year not

I bought the biggest rubbermaid Wallmart had, and now store 5,000 for the month. I use oats, fruits, vegatables, and water crystals soaked in vitamic c to raise the crickets immune system so they don't get die off. Once they are about to be fed, they move to the luxory condo with food to gutload. My temps are around 70-80 F. year around, so I don't use lights or anything for them. Screen aluminum on the bottom to let the frass fall through. Makes cleaning so much easier.

i just use a 40gal breeder for my crickets.got 4 inches of dirt, handfull of cooked moss in 1 corner for babys to hid and like 15-20 tp tubes on the other side.

mist them when the dirt gets dry, throw collared greens in for them to eat and get fluids between mistings, and one part i nver mist for thier food.
i have around 1k crickets in it from babys to full grown.
once a month i buy 60 large crickets to help keep the gene pool from drying out.

screen lid and house bult for light / heat.
when its going to be a hot day i leave the light off and they still get light and have been doing fine like this for lil over a year not

What do you mean you by 60 adult crickets to keep the gene pool up?
How does that help anything?

Back
Top Bottom