Cricket Food

Hey Mr. green: I feed my crickets tropical fish flakes. It's cheep, they eat it, and was told that it's one of the best things to give them

I am not sure, but pure fish flakes all the time might be too much protein. Too much protein can cause gout. Anyone else know about this?

There is a widely used gutload recipe here: adcham
As for commerical products, try cricketfood.com

I would assume using the recipe would be the best nutritionaly, but also more time consuming and expensive. The commercial gutload from cricketfood is probably better and cheaper than what you would find at a local store.

Yes brad it does, I would assume that you need more than just tropical flakes. The store bought cricket food is great, I also put fresh fruit and any kind of greens.

i am going to take the breeding approach to crickets when i purchase my cham. about how much would i spend on feeding a small colony of crickets a month (just for one cricket)? BTW, the cricketfeed seems to be a lot cheaper than flakes as well as more nutritional and appropirate for chams

really its just about 8-15 depending the size of your farm. I would reccoment getting a breeding kit but, they take time to reproduce. Also good thing to feed em is called " gut load " you can get many places listed in the enclosers forum.

I would recommend you check out silkworms. You could purchase silkworm eggs and not have to deal with the hassles of breeding. Silkworms do not smell as bad as crickets. They don't escape. They have a higher level of calcium and moisture. They can even be cheaper if you buy eggs instead of live silkies.

Silkworms! - by B. J. Caruthers (lele)

cricketfood.com
An excellent alternative to the store bought cricket food. Had some arrive today.

Attachments

• cricketfood.jpg
    cricketfood.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 178
I have problems feeding my chams worms. I find they fall off limbs or sit at bottom of cage until they parish. I was using super worms. Any ideas?

We offer a dry insect diet that we call "Roach Coach". We use it for crickets, roaches and superworms. We advertise it on Kingsnake regularly, but we have several chameleon breeders who use it and recommend it too.

Chameleon Paradise sells our gutload with their roaches...
Blue Beast Reptile has us on their "links" page...
Screameleons is going to try our gutload too, they said.

We have been making it for about 5 years - and the recipe has evolved. We got advice from herp vets, breeders and a PHD entomologist who bought chameleons from us. If nothing else... the bugs love it!

Here is the KS link, in case anyone is interested:
our gutload ad

We also offer dry water crystals and eggshell calcium - just in case anyone needs those items. Hope this doesn't sound like a shameless plug - it isn't. I just thought I would offer a less-expensive alternative.

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Cham Freak:
I have not used superworms in a long time. Maybe some kind of opaque container you could put them on? I rarely see my silkworms fall. They can form a nice little grip with the help of their silk.

Reptayls:
I will have to try out your roach coach next time :) I only use crickets once or twice a week so it may be a while.

ChamFreak said:
I would be very intrested, where is a link where I can purchace? I like your products so far.

I gave the link to the ad in Kingsnake. Just drop me an email and if you have Paypal it is so easy. We are redoing the website currently so that you can order there too - we are working on it. :)

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

That's quite an old thread you managed to dig up there... I think you get this months archeology award... :)

In my experience, it's cheaper to buy ready-made gutload instead of making it yourself.
The costs of all the individual ingredients (many of which are only found at health shops or pharmacies) usually add up to a lot more than what the same quantity of bought gutload would.
And the only way to avoid those costs would be to skimp on some of the ingredients. Sometimes ingredients are hard to come by as well (although eBay can be quite helpful), so invariably some ingredients are left out of home-made gutloads.

So provided you're going with a reputable brand, buying ready-made gutload is the way to go.

lol, thanks for the archaelogy award!!!!!! I have been reading through all the threads on the site, I have already made my way through breeding, and general, and I am now onto the food!! Love to learn as much as possible!!

Back
Top Bottom