cricket food recicpe (highly reccomended)

Hoj

Friendly Grasshopper
so i made a recipe that was put up by sandrachameleon and all i have to say is WOW i did a little trest using commercial zilla cricket food and the compleated recipe and there were litterally NO crickets eating the zilla food and sandra recipe has them crawling all over each other
i purchased enough of all the ingredients to make at least 2 batches and cost me less than $20.
i just thought i would throw this up to thank sandra as well as pass on the word
here is a link to the recipe

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/394-dry-gutload-recipe-january-2010.html

obviously this is a dry gutload greens and source of water is still required

Is this also good for dubias?

absolutly.

personaly, I just use cricketcrack for a dry gutload. but I mostly use a wet gutload as it has FAR more moisture to aid in their requirements for water...now if only the wild fruitflys would go away. :p

now if you do use a dry gutload, don't forget to add a slice of orange for the water needs and vitamins that it offers.

Harry

absolutly.

personaly, I just use cricketcrack for a dry gutload. but I mostly use a wet gutload as it has FAR more moisture to aid in their requirements for water...now if only the wild fruitflys would go away. :p

now if you do use a dry gutload, don't forget to add a slice of orange for the water needs and vitamins that it offers.

Harry

i wanted cricket crack but cant seem to get it here in Canada. i spoke with the member who makes it ( i believe ) and had no luck getting any.
but this recipe also has alot of great ingreadients.

I use quite a few of sandra's ingredients, there are two dry gutload recipes she has. When I bought dubias the guy sent me some cricket crack too and I just mixed it in there with the homemade stuff. I separate my breeders from feeders and added a bunch of peanuts to the breeders gutload. Feeders seem to like theirs more.

glad the recipe is working for folks (I've about 10 versions, each one a bit different, but the key ingredients remain constant)
:)
Yes it is good for roaches and crickets, and to a degree also superworms.
absolutely this does not replace the need for "wet" gutload. Dry gutloads should be the minor part of the gutload routine, not the principle thing you gutload with.

Last edited:
I feed them veggies and oranges. I'm not one for all this "fake" stuff they wouldn't find in nature.

Most veggies do not contain much in the way of b vitamins, iodine, or protein. You need a wide variety. Check out the gutload recipe and you'll see nothing in it is "Fake"
remember, they wouldnt find crickets in nature. We are gutloading because the feeder we typically use are inadequate compared to the wide variety of bugs eaten in the wild

While we're on the topic, what do we think of this? http://www.canadianfeeders.com/gutloads.html

It's what I've been giving them, but I also throw in a little sidedish of my own mix as a bonus, which is a little oatmeal, bee pollen, hemp hearts, and a sprinkle of dulse.
Lately I've been getting a little bigger batches of crickets at a time, so I let them chow on this dry mix along with some calcium watergel a friend gave me or else a piece of orange, for "keeping" and then the night before I'm feeding them out, I stick a small batch from this into another container of veggies ( dandelion greens, kale & collard, bit of sweet bell pepper lately, sometimes some carrot or kiwi)
I find this way the dry isn't getting all gross being in same container as veggies. Will they still benefit from the dry stuff if it's out of their system for a whole day before eating them? - lol, sorry those "they's" were referring to both chams & crickets. Bad sleepy grammar! But you know what I mean though? I've heard different theories on how long you need to gutload before feeding - some say 4 hours, some say 4 days??

I wasnt impressed with the canadian feeders gutload when I bought a small quantity a number of years ago. It contains corn, Barely and other inadequate things. They also couldnt promise that they didnt grind up cheap rabbit pellets as the base (rabbit pellets include additives, Vitamin D, preformed A etc - stuff Id like to control ).

If I were to pick only four things to go in a dry gutload, they'd be kelp powder (its a bit better than dulse), alfalfa, a seed or nut (like sunflower seeds or walnuts) and spirulina - I definately would never include significant amounts of corn, nor oats or barley either (wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio).

Last edited:
If I were to pick only four things to go in a dry gutload, they'd be kelp powder (its a bit better than dulse), alfalfa, a seed or nut (like sunflower seeds or walnuts) and spirulina - I definately would never include significant amounts of corn, nor oats or barley either (wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio).

Even though you're the master ;), I would at least add some dried berries to a limited gutload. Sometimes my feeders aren't really interested so the tasty berries suck 'em in.

so i made a recipe that was put up by sandrachameleon and all i have to say is WOW i did a little trest using commercial zilla cricket food and the compleated recipe and there were litterally NO crickets eating the zilla food and sandra recipe has them crawling all over each other
i purchased enough of all the ingredients to make at least 2 batches and cost me less than $20.
i just thought i would throw this up to thank sandra as well as pass on the word
here is a link to the recipe

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/394-dry-gutload-recipe-january-2010.html

obviously this is a dry gutload greens and source of water is still required

Where did you purchase your ingredients?

just wondering if theres is a thread that is like a guide to gut loading floating around on this forum? Im a little confused about the dry gut loading vs wet. Is it recommended to alternate between dry and wet?

Back
Top Bottom