Cricket Feed

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm thinking of trying Rainbow mealworms "Cricket Feed", the one that they use with their crickets. Does anybody know with experience if it is good? Of course I already know I need to provide greens and stuff like that, but does this work well with it, and if there are some other good brands and combinations of one brand or several with specific greens? Thank you for all of the help!!!

I'm thinking of trying Rainbow mealworms "Cricket Feed", the one that they use with their crickets. Does anybody know with experience if it is good? Of course I already know I need to provide greens and stuff like that, but does this work well with it, and if there are some other good brands and combinations of one brand or several with specific greens? Thank you for all of the help!!!
Try Cricket Crack. I think you can google it. Made by Steve Sims, a regular here for many years. You won’t go wrong!

I'd go broke buying cricket feeds. I get 50# bags of non-medicated chick layer mash at TSC. I think it's about 15$ for that size bag and it will feed thousands of crickets plus give you something to grow mealworms and superworms in.

I highly recommend Cricket Crack or Bug Buffet. I rotate between the two.
I heard cricket crack is great, is the bug buffet that you are talking about the one by repashy? By the way, I'm hearing that you can use the Repashy Calcium Plus for every dusting. Is that true?

Cricket Crack is made by forums member Steve Sims.
Bug Buffet is made by forums member Steve McNary.

I have never used Repashy Calcium Plus.

I started using repashy calcium plus about 6 months ago. I dust very very lightly. I don’t see much of a difference in my Chams health. Doesn’t seem to bother them one bit. To me it pretty just makes it easier to dust. And yes I use it every dusting

Last edited:
I'd go broke buying cricket feeds. I get 50# bags of non-medicated chick layer mash at TSC. I think it's about 15$ for that size bag and it will feed thousands of crickets plus give you something to grow mealworms and superworms in.

This is what they feed pet store crickets and it is not a safe or nutritious gutload. It is full of indigestible and nutrient poor fillers, but worse is that is is fortified with vitamins that can cause edema and organ damage, leading to death. It might take time, but eventually the chameleons will suffer. It’s sold as chicken feed, because it’s designed to supply the calcium and vitamins laying hens need and it’s questionable if it’s even decent for chickens. They might eat it, but there’s little nutrition to gain from corn and other fillers.

This is what they feed pet store crickets and it is not a safe or nutritious gutload. It is full of indigestible and nutrient poor fillers, but worse is that is is fortified with vitamins that can cause edema and organ damage, leading to death. It might take time, but eventually the chameleons will suffer. It’s sold as chicken feed, because it’s designed to supply the calcium and vitamins laying hens need and it’s questionable if it’s even decent for chickens. They might eat it, but there’s little nutrition to gain from corn and other fillers.
That is what I have heard too.

That is what I have heard too.

Its got added vitamins and minerals for healthy chicken eggs. While you can grow crickets on it just fine, you want to give them 48 hours "of the good stuff" before feeding them to lizards. In other words a true gut load.

If you can find it, the guinea pig food that is not fortified, makes an excellent base for cricket chow.

As I stated and other have commented, chicken feed is for chickens and can contain too many vitamins for chamelons, as can alfalfa pellets marketed for rodents as a complete diet. Aside from chicken feed being full of too many vitamins, it is composed of indigestible fillers and grains that offer very little nutrition and grains are known for causing inflammatory responses in animals that don’t normally consume them. In short, chicken feed is fillers and garbage, left over from the human food industry and “enriched” with vitamins and mineral to account for what those non-nutritive grains lack. Take a look at the ingredients on an bag of chicken feed, you’ll see things like wheat middlings, soy, and similar junk, which binds calcium and provides nothing.
Will it kill your chameleons, possibly and likely not, but it also isn’t doing them any favors.

As I stated and other have commented, chicken feed is for chickens and can contain too many vitamins for chamelons, as can alfalfa pellets marketed for rodents as a complete diet. Aside from chicken feed being full of too many vitamins, it is composed of indigestible fillers and grains that offer very little nutrition and grains are known for causing inflammatory responses in animals that don’t normally consume them. In short, chicken feed is fillers and garbage, left over from the human food industry and “enriched” with vitamins and mineral to account for what those non-nutritive grains lack. Take a look at the ingredients on an bag of chicken feed, you’ll see things like wheat middlings, soy, and similar junk, which binds calcium and provides nothing.
Will it kill your chameleons, possibly and likely not, but it also isn’t doing them any favors.
Ok, I was thinking of using alfalfa powder and the non-medicated poultry feed for the roach bedding, but I guess that is out the window. Any good roach bedding ideas? Thank you for your help!!! Happy Chameleon Keeping, and Happy New Year!!! :):p:D:):D:p

What is roach bedding? I here this all the time, but all I use is food sources and substrate. I do not understand why anyone would need a bedding... >.>' I feel stupid XD

What is roach bedding? I here this all the time, but all I use is food sources and substrate. I do not understand why anyone would need a bedding... >.>' I feel stupid XD
I just use the term bedding and substrate equally. Sorry about that, Happy New Year!!! :):p:D:p:D:)

I don’t like to use food as bedding, because they soil it, their deaths contaminate it, and it can grow mold, which they might consume. I use coir, peat moss, carefresh, or any similar substrate that can be dampened and allowed to dry, without molding or becoming foul. I don’t keep the roaches damp, but I’d do wet a portion of some of the species’ substrate every week or, as needed for their breeding or general health. Some people use nothing at all.

Back
Top Bottom