Cricket Breeding

gratefulj

Well this was my first attempt at breeding cricks... and... well.... I can't say it was a complete success but it wasn't a failure either. I've hatched out about 200 pinheads, not a very high hatch rate but I have had 0 die offs from those 200 thus far, so I think after improving my incubating technique... Next round I should end up with the 1-2K that I was hoping for. It's sad to say but even breeding cricks was kinda exciting :eek:...... I can't even imagine the day I put cham eggs in an incubater... and then the months and months of anticipation to follow... CRAZY... lol sorry this is kinda a pointless thread I was just excited about a small amount of success. It's a good feeling feeding your chams homegrown/fed cricks... :cool:

Great job! I don't breed crix but I breed dubias and know the feeling. I cleaned my breeder bin today and there were tons of babies!!!

Would you do us a favor and share your setup for breeding crickets. (pictures) and your successful process? I am just starting to breed mine. How long until your eggs hatched? Did you keep the soil warm? How? Moist? How moist?

I have a hard time keeping the crickets from eating each other....

Good job! I failed at it. I need to give it another try and your story inspires me to give it another try!

For anyone who is seriously interested in culturing crickets I highly recommend checking out Paul Rusts How-to-article on Frogforum.net.
He does a great job of keeping it simple and keeping it clean.
That's how I learned. :)

Thanks guys.. It felt good seeing a bunch of these guys come to life. I started by going to petco and getting 20-30 adults(I think I got like 20 to be exact cost me like $2.50) Put em in a 10 gal aquarium with ample food supply and nice warm temperatures (85* seems to be a good number) and 2 laying bins about 3 inches tall(you want about 2 inches deep of substarte for them to lay in) filled with peat dampened moss (though I would like to try a different egg laying substrate next round cause it is pretty difficult to keep it at the right temp/right moisture content without developing mildew, I did find, however; that if you just keep it adequately moistened and not sopping wet it doesn't seem to even be a problem). So then they start breeding like crazy reptilians on booze :p, frequently you will see the females in the dishes laying their eggs, now I personally let them breed and lay eggs for like a week although I was told to just allow them to lay their eggs for 3-4 days even 48 to 72 hours I have been told is adequate (hence while my hatch rate was so low I believe, because I think the females were disrupting other eggs other females were laying) So after that time period I pull the laying bins out and put them into a rearing container(I used another 10 gal aquarium, although in retrospect I would use something else that I could apply tape to the inside of so the little guys don't escape like they have been :rolleyes:) with a zoo med heat pad ( cost me like $25 new) directly under the bins, it seems to do a great job keeping it at an adequate temp of 82-85 even though it has no thermometer So I place the lids on the containers and let em sit for at least 10 days(checking frequently for mildew, but making sure not to keep the containers away from their heat source for too long cause temp fluctuations will result in lower hatch rates (another noobie mistake I made) after anywhere from 10-17 days depending how on point you are with your processes you will start seeing these tiny, tiny, pinheads( they dont call em pinheads for nothing) once they start hatching out I leave the lid cracked just enough for them to escape out into their rearing bin where I have a mass abundance and variety of food and dampened paper towels that I change out frequently for the first week (pinheads have to have very very high humidity for the first 72 hours of life and enjoy congregating by the paper towels((I prefer a full week of high humidty to raise the unlikelihood of die offs)), this is when they will undergo their first molt).. after that you got it made really... hope this helps everyone who wants to attempt a try at it...keep in mind I am a noobie and am learning new knowledge/techniques every day so this is by no means the text book way to do it :D. Thanks

For anyone who is seriously interested in culturing crickets I highly recommend checking out Paul Rusts How-to-article on Frogforum.net.
He does a great job of keeping it simple and keeping it clean.
That's how I learned. :)

A link would be greatly appreciated lol ;)

Back
Top Bottom