Cricket breeding

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok bug folks, in preparation for 100 plus babies next spring, I am beginning a hardcore bug breeding program. Fruit flies are easy, so no advice needed there. I have a big dubia colony so that’s covered too. What I want advice with is how to breed numbers of crickets, and perhaps supers. I have access to both the brown crickets and the bandeds. Teach me!

I’d add silkworms. They are easy to hatch in very large numbers.

My experience breeding crickets was similar to others. No matter how good you are, they get stinky. Pinheads and babies are easy to manage but once they hit like 3 weeks - blech. Basically just treat them like dubia and theyll do well. Warm temps = more breeding. Eggs hatch very erratically... some in 2 weeks, some in 7 weeks!

I’d add silkworms. They are easy to hatch in very large numbers.

My experience breeding crickets was similar to others. No matter how good you are, they get stinky. Pinheads and babies are easy to manage but once they hit like 3 weeks - blech. Basically just treat them like dubia and theyll do well. Warm temps = more breeding. Eggs hatch very erratically... some in 2 weeks, some in 7 weeks!
Not so worried about the smell: theyll all be in the greenhouse.

Further to my last: I’m in Canada, and the silkworm supply is erratic at best, and it’s bloody hard to keep them alive after having been shipped in a Canadian winter.

Its the dead that stink, and without removing them your others might die from disease. So maybe add a serious CUC to help to cull the dead. If you have the green house I'd go for it. Its not hard, just the smelliest/dirtiest feeder I've worked with so far.

Superworms are so easy. Throw them in a bin with food and a piece of cork. I got babies in my cricket container because I had a few beetles in there for CUC.

The silkworm eggs shouldn't be affected by the winter weather, as they overwinter anyway. Live silkworms, not so much. If you weren't in canadaland I'd send you some eggs to try out. Even if you can get your hands on a dozen live silkworms, and let them pupate, you'll get eggs in little time.

and holy crap... 100+ babies?? from the same clutch or do you have multiple breeding pairs?

I think in another post, you mentioned mantids. They seem like a good feeder option for babies, but not very predictable.

and holy crap... 100+ babies?? from the same clutch or do you have multiple breeding pairs?

I think in another post, you mentioned mantids. They seem like a good feeder option for babies, but not very predictable.
Two clutches laid a month a part: one of 35, one of 75.
Can’t buy silk eggs here, just the worms, and I’ve never been able to keep them alive for longer than 2 days. I make my own feed from 100% pure powdered mulberry leaves. It’s either the travel, or else the conditions in the greenhouse.

Superworms are easy. I saved a few beetles from the first batch I ordered to see what would happen. Now I have way toooooo many.

Superworms are easy. I saved a few beetles from the first batch I ordered to see what would happen. Now I have way toooooo many.
I’m interested in whether there is a life stage that would be suitable for babies

I’m interested in whether there is a life stage that would be suitable for babies
Superworm beetles (adults) lay tiny eggs that produce worms (larvae) Try using a piece of screen to sift the larvae from your rearing media. Poultry food is fine for the media. Sift the media and worms onto a flat surface, and you will see the worms scramble away. Sweep them into a container. I dust them in a plastic deli cup. Contrary to current beliefs, they can be dusted and fed special food (gut loaded) before offering to your chameleons. So, get some superworms, they will pupate and rive rise to adults. The adults need water- a shallow dish with a sponge. This will take some time to get things started, and you will have to develop your own techniques. Hatchling chams are better off with flightless fruit flies, though. I like hydei.

Superworm beetles (adults) lay tiny eggs that produce worms (larvae) Try using a piece of screen to sift the larvae from your rearing media. Poultry food is fine for the media. Sift the media and worms onto a flat surface, and you will see the worms scramble away. Sweep them into a container. I dust them in a plastic deli cup. Contrary to current beliefs, they can be dusted and fed special food (gut loaded) before offering to your chameleons. So, get some superworms, they will pupate and rive rise to adults. The adults need water- a shallow dish with a sponge. This will take some time to get things started, and you will have to develop your own techniques. Hatchling chams are better off with flightless fruit flies, though. I like hydei.
Thank you for your post. Fruit flies are easy, but as I’ll be raising these guys for 3 months, hydei won’t due past about two weeks. Also, the prospects of gutloading hydei are poor.

I have been attempting breeding my own feeder crickets. I am having issues with the timing and quantity. It seems to take forever from the time they hatch to being large enough to actually feed. It’s very frustrating. Any tips are welcome.

I have been attempting breeding my own feeder crickets. I am having issues with the timing and quantity. It seems to take forever from the time they hatch to being large enough to actually feed. It’s very frustrating. Any tips are welcome.
I haven’t bred crickets, but am breeding discoid roaches and have the same issue. I think we just have to be patient and let the colony get well established. Are you using a heat mat for them? Feeding & hydrating well? Letting the eggs hatch in a container separate from the adults?

I have been breeding crickets for about two months now for the same reason as you, babies in the spring. I have found that the eggs hatch much quicker if you can warm them to a constant 85 degrees. Only takes about 7 days for them to hatch. That said I have been having an issue that I can’t figure out, when the crickets are about a week old 50% will just die for no reason at all. This has happened with the last three batches I have hatched. I’m wondering if I’m just putting to many babies in one Bin?

Bill

I haven’t bred crickets, but am breeding discoid roaches and have the same issue. I think we just have to be patient and let the colony get well established. Are you using a heat mat for them? Feeding & hydrating well? Letting the eggs hatch in a container separate from the adults?
I am using a heat lamp and my breeding boxes and incubators are in an upstairs closet with no windows so it gets really really warm. On average between 80 to 90. I usually give them 4 days or so to mate and lay their eggs. In the meantime I am feeding anything and everything I think they will eat. Once I feel the containers are full of eggs I’ll mist the substrate and put lids on them and place them into another plastic bin and I’ll keep this closer to the heat lamp. If I use a thermometer the box will stay at a consistent 90 degree with at least 80 percent humidity. I do take the kids off every few days to make sure substrate is staying moist. After about a week they usually hatch. After that it seems to take forever for them to get a 1/4”. I feed daily with a variety of veggies. I keep water crystals wet and give them plenty of places to hide. I just haven’t been able to get my numbers and timing correct in correlation with the amount of animals I have to feed. At this time I have 1 veiled, 3 panthers, 2 bearded dragons and 1 leopard gecko. ‍♀️ How I let my husband talk me into having all these reptiles I will never know lol. I am considering starting a Dubia roach colony. I’ve had bean beetles coming out of my ears when my panthers were tiny as well as fruit flies. Those are easy to breed and maintain. Crickets are proving to be a bit of a challenge.

I initially was going to try breeding crickets, but then I grew to dislike them...the smell, noise and too easy to escape. I switched to discoid roaches and those are easier, but it does take a long time for the babies to grow big enough to feed. While waiting on their growth, I’ve been breeding silkworms and after a few mistakes, think it’s finally going pretty well. You may want to try those. No noise, no stink, slow movers and not unpleasant to touch with bare hands, plus my critters love them.

Back
Top Bottom