Cricket Breeding Bin?

Tyaeda

Established Member
So my adult crickets started chirping recently, so now it's time to introduce a egg laying container. I tried normal organic soil, but that grew mold right away.

What type of dirt do I need for my crickets to lay eggs in? Also, what's the point behind putting screens on top?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sand is what I use. Never had mold issues. Spray it to keep it slightly damp.

The lid on a cricket container is to limit escapees.

I also tried soil from my garden earlier this year before I planted or put anything but natural stuff in the soil. I kept it moist/damp but never had any hatch that I noticed. I did get some ecoearth since others had success with it, but it didn't work for me, I think they may have already laid eggs before hand. I am about to try again soon, with some of the new ones when they get big enough.

i'm pretty sure anything will work just as long as it stays moist and does not contain any pesticides. when you choose a soil, grab a handful, and make sure that it is soft and breaks into dust when dry. however, this wouldn't work with something that is compressed like eco-earth.

I just went to my yard, and got dirt - I also tried all that stuff- and the yard dirt is what worked for me- but we live in the country, and have never treated our yard for pest- the screen - you put it on the egg laying container - otherwise, the male crix will dig up and eat the eggs - keep your eggs around 90, and moist

missed the part about mold...if that's the problem then use a mixture of vermiculite or maybe even all vermiculite

Back
Top Bottom