Crested Gecko is gravid!

i introduced my female and male together in a permanent cage as they are both ready to mate. My stub-tail weighed in at 38 grams today, so with tale she would be around 43-45 grams. coool! though it will be fun incubating the eggs, i would love to find multiple, or first time crested gecko owners to find home for when the babies come. i will ship only in ontario but prefer not to. this is not a classified ad, as i am too excited for the news, but selling crested geckos is sometimes a task to do, so i'm a planner i suppose :)

babies will be Harlequin Flame Dalmations and will be going for 65$ a piece.

You are counting your geckos before they hatch! :) How do you know she is gravid-mine have been living in pairs/trios for months and not a single egg. :(

You are counting your geckos before they hatch! :) How do you know she is gravid-mine have been living in pairs/trios for months and not a single egg. :(

about a month of living with her male, she has gained. she has gained about 7 grams, is only on repashy, crickets maybe once every 1-1.5 weeks.

Nice , goodluck

I get 6 eggs a month out of three females. only 1 lays fertile eggs though since she is the only one housed with my male "they get along". takes them about 75 days to hatch with my temps.At first I was incubating eggs that wouldn't mold over and looked fertile for a while till 75 days came and I realized nothing even developed then she became a baby factory. enjoy

Congrats! I have hatched out many Cresties and the best thing about them is you never know what you're gonna get. I have had plain looking flame cresteds produce dalmations, pinstripes, extreme harleys.

Nice , goodluck

I get 6 eggs a month out of three females. only 1 lays fertile eggs though since she is the only one housed with my male "they get along". takes them about 75 days to hatch with my temps.At first I was incubating eggs that wouldn't mold over and looked fertile for a while till 75 days came and I realized nothing even developed then she became a baby factory. enjoy
this is very interesting. i am not sure about this, but are crested geckos able to produce infertile clutches? i would just like as much info quick, as i will be putting a laying container in there enclosure today. she's had her primary weight gain within the last 3 weeks

Congrats! I have hatched out many Cresties and the best thing about them is you never know what you're gonna get. I have had plain looking flame cresteds produce dalmations, pinstripes, extreme harleys.
this makes me soo excited! i just bought 2 crested babies for my girlfriend, and they are gorgeous, one of the breeders was a high red harley from pangea. i cannot wait until they are mature. but what were your means of successful incubation? did you hatch them in the enclosure like you would pygmy eggs, room temperature or incubator?

I have two females I have had over 6 months I got on a trade for some leos. Well actually i got them as a pair. Anyways I seperated them right away one stubbed tail was being aggressive to the other. So as the month passed I got eggs from stubbed tail. I place the other gecko in terrarium with paper towels being a male and I was treating a scab on the tip of the tail from when I got him. Well it was being restless not sleeping walking the top of the screen often for 3 days straight. Went to clean found eggs in my solo male cage:rolleyes:. I examined realized it wasnt a bulge I just assumed male since he told me it was and they produced babies already. Ha. So I had two females laying eggs. I incubated both sets as I do my other cresties that do hatch out. The males so I thought those eggs molded in 2 days. Stubbed tails always look perfect white not mold ever. Started sweating around 65 day mark I cut open some eggs nothing at all just goo. I have another gal I got from a breeder as well as a young male and they produce viable eggs every month usually on the 14th -18 so Im waiting for some now she digs and eats dirt restlessly before hand. I dont know if they lay infertile clutches but I do get 6 eggs and month and the 2 without male never have babies? So id assume they are just cycling is what i always thought. Ill post some pics of my eggs from the last 2months

Heres side by side an Egg from one housed with a male and an egg from a female not housed with any males since I had her.

0214011307.jpg

0209012052a.jpg

heres my baby makers getting it on.

thank you for the info jack, i am assuming they will be fertile, as like i have said above, her primary weight gain has been within the last 3 weeks. about 2-3 grams on average a week. they only eat repashy and are offered about 4 crickets each every 1-1.5 weeks. she is getting physically fat too!

you weren't to clear about the incubating process though.

i would like to know how and where you store the eggs, temperature and humidity. plain vermiculite good for medium? or is it better to have a peat-moss/mix medium? i really want to do this the right way, as i pretty much have people wanting some babies already. first come first serve obviously, im not expecting to get many eggs at all anyways.

I hatched them at room temperature in vermiculite. Temps were between 74 and 76. I started using a school box, then started using those bead organizers so they wouldnt interrupt the other eggs when they hatched.

Phil, just a word in advance.
From experience I've found that many gecko species can, like other lizards, retain seed and produce multiple clutches, despite having the male removed after the first mating.
Further, they can be processing more than one pair of eggs at different stages too, so timing can be tricky.
Like any lizard, producing eggs puts high demand on the female, more eggs, more demand.
Quality of eggs (physically and fertility) will eventually decline if you allow her continued contact with the male over a season. (pumping out eggs)
I would advise continuous high quality of diet, sound gutloading and regular supplementation throughout the season, and ofcourse, no further contact with the male.
Around 3 clutches (6 eggs) per season and they remain robust young, much more and the young hatch smaller and weaker and take quite some time to catch up.
If you intend to produce numbers beyond this, I recommend keeping several females and rotating them through the males enclosure.
:)

Back
Top Bottom