couple questions

pudge

I got my 1st veiled about a week ago. The person I got him from said the bulbs were 6 months old. I'm going to replace them just in case.
Do uvb bulbs provide d3? What is a good brand? Fyi The socket is is for 1 bulb not a tube.
Also the vitimens I give him contains d3. Should I still get calcium w d3 or will the vits be enough? The calcium I have now contains no d3.
Also what's a good brand for a heat lamp?
Oh and about how long do all these bubls last?

I use a normal bulb for a heat lamp. Reptisun 5.0 linear tubes are best for UVB. D3 is produced from UVB radiation so they get d3 from the UVB tube, but d3 is given to make sure they have enough since the uvb isn't as strong as the sun. Change your UVB about every six months. Tube UVB is best as some bulbs can cause burns and eye problems like blindness.

What brand of vitamin is it?

I don't kno how old your chameleon is, but the older they get the more calcium supplement they should recieve.

No, they need more when they are younger as their bones are growing the most. That's why babies get calcium every meal and adults get calcium every other meal (at least).

It's best to get calcium both with and without D3; for a young, actively growing chameleon (to 6-8 months or so), it's common to alternate daily between calcium, calcium + D3 and a multivitamin (I use RepCal Calcium with Vitamin D3, MinerAll 0 (the "0: indicates no D3; MinerAll 1 has D3) from Sticky Tongue Farms, and RepCal Herptivite; our sponsor Kammerflage Kreations caries all 3, and I'll bet you can get them from LLL or many other places). As the chameleon's growth slows, the D3 is cut back to once a week or even once a month, depending on how much natural sunlight the animal is getting, while calcium without D3 is still given a couple times a week. A search on "supplements" will give you more than you want to know.

No, they need more when they are younger as their bones are growing the most. That's why babies get calcium every meal and adults get calcium every other meal (at least).

I know I know... I was just asking to see where the info was coming from...

my vet told me when my chameleon was younger to give him more vitamin supplement than calcium and when he got older to switch to more calcium. Sorry if I was misinformed I'll research it.

Pssh when you said a reg bulb for heat do you mean just a bulb you would use in a lamp fixture? If so what watt do you use?
My chem is about 13 months. Should I get the calcium with d3 or will the uvb bulb and the vits (contains d3) be enough for him?
And I'm dusting with vits once a week and calcium w/o d3 every other day. Is this a good schedule?

Depends on the brand of supplement. I use the repcal brand and use the multi vitamin once a month, the calcium with d3 twice a month, and calcium every feeding for my babies. Minerall has less d3 so it can be used more often than repcal supplemnts. Go buy a calcium with d3 and tell us the brand. Calcium every other day is fine, the vitamins can be used one to two times a month to be safe. Your gutloading should be sufficient enough that you only need it a time or two a month. Does it contain vit A?

I use a 40 watt incandescent bulb to maintain a basking temp of 80 degrees 6-8 inches from the bulb. The watt will depend on ambient temps and how far away it is from the basking spot.

Psst your on like eveyone of my posts. Haha you know a ton of sh×t. You should just give me ur number so I can text u when I have questions. Jp.... I gutload with some cricket gutloading stuff I don't know the name cuz I threw away the box. I do remember it saying it contains vit A though.

Be carefulll of vit A as they can overdose on it. Does your vitamin supp have vit A?

As for gutloading you should be using fresh veggies/fruit as well. Things like kale, collards, sweet peppers, yams, apples, pears, blueberries, strawberries, dandelion greens, romaine lettuce, carrots, and squash. Just don't use tomatoes, brocolli (I've never had to spell that... Is that right?) or spinach.

Psst your on like eveyone of my posts. Haha you know a ton of sh×t. You should just give me ur number so I can text u when I have questions. Jp.... I gutload with some cricket gutloading stuff I don't know the name cuz I threw away the box. I do remember it saying it contains vit A though.

Lol pudge.....Pssh is smart that is how she knows so much about chams.

ya she is....I found the box its gut load made by zilla. my vitamins also contains vit A. Im using reptivite by zoo med and repti calcium also by zoo med.
Do you think thats too much vit A?
Are these good brands to use?

That I do not know. I'm still learning about vitamins, how preformed and proformed vit A work, and what is too much.

I do know that most keepers don't use vit A more than once a year if that though. So maybe it is a bit much... Don't take my word for it though.

Back
Top Bottom