couple of questions regarding first enclosure

Folded

I am currently building my first enclosure for what will hopefully soon be my first cham. Nothing impressive atm so no pics just a large pothos sitting in the bottom of an 18x18x36 reptibreeze(the pothos will be hung in addition to more plants added, I just haven't found another i like yet). In addition to this i know I will eventually want a larger cage for a male panther.

Since we got that out of the way, on to the questions and brief explanations:

For lighting I have a heat bulb(couldn't seem to get correct temp with just a regular household incandescent). My UVB NEEDS to be replaced as it is a 10.0 cfl that was purchased nearly 10years ago when i first became interested in purchasing a cham. Now the question...If i purchase a 36'' double fixture will the amount of overhang be dangerous to the cham?

Moving on to branches/dowels. Does the type of wood matter? I have a large tree in my front yard that loses branches almost everytime it storms, I am unsure of the type but intend to find out. If the type of wood is irrelevant,and assuming they are baked or treated, does it matter how long the branches have been down? I have a large pile of them i can pick through to hopefully salvage some decent ones.

I do hope my concerns made sense, i know i rambled a bit there.

Well I answered my own question about the light. Went with the larger one if you care(you don't).

Still curious on branches though. I am 90% sure the trees in question are red oaks.

So the question becomes: Is it safe to use Red Oak branches either cut from the tree or having been downed by storms? Assuming they are baked.

I would appreciate an answer as my little guy is no doubt frustrated by the fact that he keeps slipping on the bamboo cane that is currently in there.

I prefer to have the branches freshly cut that way you know for sure if it's bug infested or not. I cut a small tree down the other day (Landlord didn't want it there.) And have 4 nice 4' "trees" now for my enclosure. Just make sure that they are cleaned.

I prefer to have the branches freshly cut that way you know for sure if it's bug infested or not. I cut a small tree down the other day (Landlord didn't want it there.) And have 4 nice 4' "trees" now for my enclosure. Just make sure that they are cleaned.

I agree, cut the branches, put them in the cage!

Nick

Some types of trees you might want to strip the bark off the limbs, I got some manzanita branches and after they got wet for a few days the bark begin to peel off everywhere so I had to remove it. No doubt when they shed they would have rubbed their eye in it.

Back
Top Bottom