cough/sneezing please help

harleyquinn

a couple times a day i hear my new veiled chameleon make a sound like he is coughing or sneezing

i cough or sneeze a couple times a day, and im fine, but im also not a chameleon

please tell me whether you think i need to take him to the vet or not, or if this is just normal behavior

everything else seems fine, he is eating and drinking, he doesnt sleep during the day, hes not dehydrated, but these sounds have me concerned

thanks so much!!!

Does he have bubbles in his mouh or stringy aliva?

Please fill out the how to ask for help form found in a sticky In the vet clinic section.

Is he sitting with his mouth open a lot? Sleep with his head pointed straight up? Sticky saliva in his mouth? Blocked nostrils? Does he sit with his throat puffed out and gulping heavily over and over?

These are signs of an upper respiratory infection (URI) and will need antibiotics to treat. If he is sneezing or trying to clear his nostrils possibly they are blocked by mineral salts or shed skin. Does he do it less if you shower him longer? What is your cage humidity? If the air is very dry that might be part of it.

no bubbles around the mouth, somewhat sticky saliva, i havent seen him sit there with his mouth open

he sleeps with his head level

the humidity is anywhere from 40-80% depending on when i mist, i have an automist system to never let it drop below 40, and then i spray a couple times a day so he can drink

i take him in a shower a couple times a week, i will do it for longer and see if he stops the sneezing

he also just shed, im hoping it has something to do with that, thanks so much for the quick replies :)

i will watch for all of these signs to see if i have missed something

I would not shower him so often as it usually just stresses them out. A couple nice long warm mistings are fine.

Back
Top Bottom