Cork Background

ashleynagy

Has anyone had any experience with using cork as a background in their enclosure?

I have just bought a 2x2x4 from LLL and am planning to cut a piece of plexiglass for the back wall ( to keep in a bit of humidity because of where I live it gets cold, and also to protect the wall from misting)

I was planning on buying a sheet of cork and using aquarium caulking to adhere it to the plexi

Has anyone tried this out before? I made a detailed Styrofoam one and covered it with coconut bark before but it just eventually started to peel off and it was quite a bit of work for what it was.

Thanks!

Ashley

Were you planning on using flat "bulletin board" type cork or natural cork bark?

Cork bark is great background material, however it's pretty expensive! Hopefully it's cheaper in Canada than it is here in the US. You can get sheet cork for bulletin board purposes much cheaper, but it doesn't look nearly as nice.

I do not have personal experience with this and had thought of using it. I didn't because of the factor of bacteria forming in the cork due to mistings.

I do not have personal experience with this and had thought of using it. I didn't because of the factor of bacteria forming in the cork due to mistings.

Hmm Yes bacteria.
I just wanted something that looked a bit nicer. and yes i was going to use a sheet of cork board (like bulletin board)

I guess I can just slop on some silicone and do the coconut bark thing again.
I hope to have the mist aimed at the plants a bit more than the background, so at least it will dry out in between misting

Back
Top Bottom