Cooling down enclosure

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
I have an issue. I haven’t gotten my cham yet, and I thought I was good, but I ran into a pretty major problem.

This week, it got really hot outside and all the windows were open and my house got really hot. The basking spot was upper 90’s (normally around 82-85) and the rest of the tank was 84-88! I turned the light off and it cooled down for a bit, but obviously this isn’t a good solution for when I have the cham. Is there any way to cool down the tank in this situation. I can’t guarantee that I will be able to keep the air conditioning on all the time during the summer either.

It’s sad, if I can’t figure out a good solution to the problem, I might not be able to get my cham :(. It doesn’t get that hot all the time (I live in Minnesota), so I guess a short term solution could work.

Could a fan work? Like a computer fan. I’ve heard of people using them for air circulation, but idk about temp. It would be nice, so then I could hook it up to something that will turn it on if it reaches a certain temp.

I'm actually battling this problem myself since the temperature is rising in Mississippi, so curious to see what ideas and suggestions will come. I usually just open the terrarium and let it air out and that helps for the most part. Sometimes I will turn off his heating lamp for a few and monitor the temps very closely. This actually helps a lot for me.

We need to think bout how fans work to cool things...why does a fan cool us down and will that work for chameleon?
Fans cool people down because they sweat but chameleons don't. Another way a fan would cool us is by blowing in cooler air from another area....but if the room is all hot how will the help...you're just blowing hot air around, no?

I'm actually battling this problem myself since the temperature is rising in Mississippi, so curious to see what ideas and suggestions will come. I usually just open the terrarium and let it air out and that helps for the most part. Sometimes I will turn off his heating lamp for a few and monitor the temps very closely. This actually helps a lot for me.
The problem is, my entire house was mid-eighties, so I’m sure that it would help a bit, but not that much.

I’m glad that I’m not the only one with this problem.

We need to think bout how fans work to cool things...why does a fan cool us down and will that work for chameleon?
Fans cool people down because they sweat but chameleons don't. Another way a fan would cool us is by blowing in cooler air from another area....but if the room is all hot how will the help...you're just blowing hot air around, no?
Yeah, it was just an idea. I didn’t really think about all that. There are mini air conditioners that I found for $40 and I was wondering if that would work, or if it would be too much. I could set up a system so that it would go off for 5 minutes(?) if the temp is above x amount. Possibly redirecting the airflow if it into a tube to push the cool air to the bottom corner of the enclosure at the farthest point from the heat lamp. The time might have to be changed as well to fit the time needed for it to actually produce cool air. Another factor is the cost of running this.

Could this have any negative impacts on the cham as well?

This is just an idea that I thought up quick and I don’t know any fine details. The timing deal could probably be accomplished with a smart outlet and a WiFi thermometer. Maybe I could make a program that would log the temps every 5 minutes or so and if the temp gets too high it’ll turn on the smart outlet with the mini air conditioner attached.

This could be super overkill, but what do you think?

How about ice cubes or ice packs to cool the cage...not where the chameleon could touch them...maybe on top of the cage. @Kristen Wilkins has talked about this before....and I've done it once in while...but I live in a climate that doesn't warrant it often.

The heat light should be turned off if the cage is too hot anyway IMHO!

How about ice cubes or ice packs to cool the cage...not where the chameleon could touch them...maybe on top of the cage. @Kristen Wilkins has talked about this before....and I've done it once in while...but I live in a climate that doesn't warrant it often.

The heat light should be turned off if the cage is too hot anyway IMHO!
@JoXie411 just posted on Ig as well . Works well however need air flow .

What is the temp with the temp lights off? When it gets to hot we usually turn the heat lights off but the quad lights of 3 6500k and uvb stay on. We run a dual lights in the heat section, so we’ll turn one off at a time Til we get the temp we want. Also remember when the misters go on it also cools the enclosure, it’s set for 3 times a day.

I would suggest a window unit air conditioner for that room. They even have ones that are like evaporative cooling units that vent outside through a window. If your temps are that high for your ambient its going to be quite warm for the cham.

The mini air conditioners are crap. Don't waste your money. I had to get one before and they do not do anything unless your in a tiny room like a bathroom.

It would be one thing if ambient jumped up to turn off the basking but the other lights will produce heat and then there is the fact that the entire cage is the basking temp. No place for them to cool down.

PC fans don't cool just move the air.

Sometimes there are those things that are larger price tags we have to purchase that are not considered really a part of your husbandry but they actually are. I had to buy a $200 room dehumidifier because my ambient humidity level is stupid high where I live.

What is the temp with the temp lights off? When it gets to hot we usually turn the heat lights off but the quad lights of 3 6500k and uvb stay on. We run a dual lights in the heat section, so we’ll turn one off at a time Til we get the temp we want. Also remember when the misters go on it also cools the enclosure, it’s set for 3 times a day.
He said 84- 88 he does not need a basking with this temps . He can set a timer maybe 10/10:30 that shuts off basking and back on maybe 3:00 . That would ensure digestion . If it’s well planted the leafs will be cooler . Depending on species ice packs or ice cubes on top of screen work . @JoXie411 posted a video on ig maybe she can link here too .

as @Beman said ac unit that’s what we us however we have a teeny Condo . We set up in 2 back rooms. Our scaly’s are in our front room .

He said 84- 88 he does not need a basking with this temps . He can set a timer maybe 10/10:30 that shuts off basking and back on maybe 3:00 . That would ensure digestion . If it’s well planted the leafs will be cooler . Depending on species ice packs or ice cubes on top of screen work . @JoXie411 posted a video on ig maybe she can link here too .

as @Beman said ac unit that’s what we us however we have a teeny Condo . We set up in 2 back rooms. Our scaly’s are in our front room .

So, it would be okay for him to be in those temps? The problem is that this is not a regular occurrence. Look at my weather lol, 94 Monday and 66 Thursday.
186DD49F-F8C2-4EF0-93EB-7C6F0164F3A6.png
I think if this is possible, I want to automate something like this. Similar to my idea with the mini air conditioner. I could use a thermometer that logs the passive temps, and if it gets to high I can make use of a smart outlet thing that’ll make it so it only gets powered for the times that you mentioned earlier. I know a bit of programming so I think this shouldn’t be too hard, if it’s even necessary.

This may sound like a bit much, but I worry a lot, and I don’t think I could have a peaceful weekend away, wondering if he is baking inside his enclosure. Even though I doubt that will happen because we leave the AC on while we’re out, but it’ll reduce my stress a lot altogether.

No air conditioning in the house?

Well, I don’t always run the air conditioning for one reason or another. I like the fresh air and its cheaper not to use the air conditioning. I was hoping to find another way to not use air conditioning and have good temps. Another issue is that, like I said earlier, my temps are all over the place, and sometimes if I don’t check the weather, I won’t notice when it gets hot. I was having a chill week and then, boom, I get hit with 90 degrees out of nowhere. So it’s hard, I will at least need a backup plan in case I don’t get air conditioning on in a situation like this.

You love me today lol

So I get 100+ weather in my area, usually the turning lights off will work on the cages but I have a species of chameleon that like it a lot cooler than the rest. During the day I do ice cubes and at night I witch to ice packs. So far I’ve been able to get it down to 65 in the cages so I’ll take it for now

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGx...l4snxncgie&story_media_id=2319428984854798278

So, it would be okay for him to be in those temps? The problem is that this is not a regular occurrence. Look at my weather lol, 94 Monday and 66 Thursday.
View attachment 268489
I think if this is possible, I want to automate something like this. Similar to my idea with the mini air conditioner. I could use a thermometer that logs the passive temps, and if it gets to high I can make use of a smart outlet thing that’ll make it so it only gets powered for the times that you mentioned earlier. I know a bit of programming so I think this shouldn’t be too hard, if it’s even necessary.

This may sound like a bit much, but I worry a lot, and I don’t think I could have a peaceful weekend away, wondering if he is baking inside his enclosure. Even though I doubt that will happen because we leave the AC on while we’re out, but it’ll reduce my stress a lot altogether.

Well, I don’t always run the air conditioning for one reason or another. I like the fresh air and its cheaper not to use the air conditioning. I was hoping to find another way to not use air conditioning and have good temps. Another issue is that, like I said earlier, my temps are all over the place, and sometimes if I don’t check the weather, I won’t notice when it gets hot. I was having a chill week and then, boom, I get hit with 90 degrees out of nowhere. So it’s hard, I will at least need a backup plan in case I don’t get air conditioning on in a situation like this.
Your temps are much like ours . We can go from Hi 90s to 70 over night , We are in mass . We get very very Humid , it can be 90 with 70% humidity the next day be 73 and dry . We run the ac to keep one temp all summer . We don’t worry so much with my day humidity . Shoot for 25/ 30% high night . I have veiled’s and panthers . Dragons and Leo’s . However we keep our temps low because our females . The ac work well however may not for you if you have a huge place to cool .

Hi nights I mean 100% ( humidifier) . We will turn the basking off for the girls if they are getting to warm . For the girl we use a separate fixture so we can turn off .

You love me today lol

So I get 100+ weather in my area, usually the turning lights off will work on the cages but I have a species of chameleon that like it a lot cooler than the rest. During the day I do ice cubes and at night I witch to ice packs. So far I’ve been able to get it down to 65 in the cages so I’ll take it for now

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGx...l4snxncgie&story_media_id=2319428984854798278
Thank you I could not find the video and I posted in it lol .

You love me today lol

So ice packs can cool down a cage 35 degrees?!!

Could a fan work? Like a computer fan. I’ve heard of people using them for air circulation, but idk about temp. It would be nice, so then I could hook it up to something that will turn it on if it reaches a certain temp.
Yes. I have a thermostatically controlled muffin fan behind one of the vents in my beardie enclosure. If the hot side goes above 90, the fan kicks on until the temp drops to 88, but you can set any temps you like. I got it from Cooler Guys. Call them and tell them what you want to do, and they'll set you up with everything—fan(s), controller, thermostat w/probe... even cosmetics (e.g. cover plates) if you want.

What kinyonga was talking about is evaporative cooling. It's true chameleons don't sweat, but if they're wet from a fogger/mister, evaporative cooling will still occur as a breeze or air exchange evaporates the moisture off their bodies (and plants & decor). ;)

This may not work on an all-screen enclosure; you need to be able to effect an air-change.

Evaporative cooling...
https://books.google.ca/books?id=E6cKBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=evaporative+cooling+chameleons&source=bl&ots=NkZGQRKIax&sig=ACfU3U1bADcwlFoFZsZ1L7N4beOzGJiXWg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh2tPq5efpAhUxh-AKHU6uAzwQ6AEwF3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=evaporative cooling chameleons&f=false

"Prolonged, heavy misting best mimics the natural rainfall of a chameleon's natural habitat, raises the relative humidity and offers evaporative cooling similar to what a chameleon would experience in the wild"...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/05OctDescamps.html

Last edited:
so I found this temperature activated plug thing, but the problem is that I doubt it is waterproof, so I wouldn’t be able to put the sensor inside of the viv.

So it has a remote where you set the temperatures that you want it on and off at and the remote has a stand where you set it up and it takes the trampoline and connects to the outlet. I also have a glass tank so I doubt the temp next to the enclosure will be the same inside. The closest I could get would be on top. Does anyone know anything similar that might work better?

(This is the link if anyone’s interested)
https://www.amazon.com/Nashone-Cont...emperature+sensor+plug&qid=1591298528&sr=8-11

The reviews seem like its accurate, but the instructions seem to suck

Back
Top Bottom