Coolest bug EVER! Snake head catapillar

Discussion in 'Chameleon Food' started by Brodybreaux25, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Brodybreaux25

Brodybreaux25 Chameleon Enthusiast

So I was walking through my garden and noticed two of the strangest looking catapillars I’ve ever seen on my satsuma tree. They both look like the have snake heads and rear up when you touch them. The big one even shoots out a red forked toung looking thing when you touch it and it stinks! I’ve never seen anything like this before. I think this is a orange dog catapillar, the stage befor it becomes the swallow tail butterfly. Anyone else ever seen anything like this? Anyone know if they are toxic or not?

2. Brodybreaux25

Pics of the big one

Attached Files:

3. CamrynTheCham22

CamrynTheCham22 Avid Member

That thing is CRAZY! I have never seen anything like that in my life. I have no idea if it is toxic or not, but that is one ludicrous find!

4. Brodybreaux25

02BDDB01-7DFE-456D-AD1F-9A845812F9F7.jpeg 240616F2-DBB4-461B-BE54-F16E0B991733.jpeg 6A905CDB-A60A-4CF5-B3C9-D9A59B3F199B.jpeg The little one

Attached Files:

Yoshi_the_Veiled likes this.
  5. Brodybreaux25

im dying to feed this to a Cham! Gotta do some research first...

CamrynTheCham22 likes this.
  6. Brodybreaux25

@Motherlode Chameleon you’ve got to help me on this one! Is this a orange dog catapillar and is it safe to feed to a Cham?

7. Motherlode Chameleon

Motherlode Chameleon Chameleon Enthusiast

Nice challenge. Some fast research, neat species, this species of caterpillar turns into the Swallow Tail Butterfly (Papilio cresphontes). When this Orange Dog Caterpillars is larger and in its later instages one of my sources states they become toxic. Meaning I would stay away from this species as a wild caught food source. There are other species of wild caterpillars I would use as a food source. Silk and Horn worms are not a food item I would over look for a hungry chameleon either.

Best Regard
    Jeremy A. Rich

8. Zevil

Zevil New Member

It's obviously a Caterpie.

9. Motherlode Chameleon

Motherlode Chameleon Chameleon Enthusiast

It is obviously a type of caterpillar. Just like the Horn and Silk Worms I recommended.

Best Regards
    Jeremy A. Rich

10. Zevil

Zevil New Member

It's obviously a Pokemon joke.

11. Brodybreaux25

Not everyone watches Pokémon, chill...

CamrynTheCham22 and Tucklander like this.
  12. Brodybreaux25

Damn! I have a smaller one but I’m not going to risk feeding it to a Cham. What about once it exits the cocoon as a butterfly, still toxic?

And what is that in your profile pic? A light trap?

13. Brodybreaux25

And thanks again for the fast response, you have been a huge help to me lately!

14. Angelwolf

Angelwolf Chameleon Enthusiast

If it were me, i would throw them into a kritter keeper with food and watch them turn into butterflies!

CamrynTheCham22 and JacksJill like this.
  15. Brodybreaux25

That’s exactly what we’re going to do with them since they are too risky to feed off. I think they are suppose to be the largest butterfly in North America.

Tucklander, Angelwolf and JacksJill like this.
  16. bloftis1

bloftis1 Established Member

Woaaah what the fork!:ROFLMAO::eek:

Angelwolf and JacksJill like this.
  17. Crashbandit05

Crashbandit05 Avid Member

I fed a variation of one of these to my panther. The one I caught looked just like Caterpie and as soon as my panther bit down, the caterpillar emitted the foul smelling odor and my panther immediately dropped it. I managed to get the event on my phone and uploaded to YouTube. I can look for the link if anyone is interested..

18. Brodybreaux25

This one did the same whenever that red thing popped out, horrible smell. But I couldn’t get the little one to do it, maybe he is a different species?

19. Brodybreaux25

Hey Jeremy, are these two the same species? The little one has those wired bumps on top of it’s head, big one doesn’t. And the little one doesn’t do the red tongue thing...