cool cage idea

jamncristian

Established Member
this idea is really meant for the aluminum cages but if it works 4 u go 4 it

ok i was thinking about how people always use potted plant on the floor of their enclosure and how ugly bare bottom cages look like so i put together some ideas that i have seen and some of my own together so that i may have the benefits of substrate

list of items:

cage (ex. 2'l 2'w 4'h aluminum cage)

rubbermaid bin (deep enough to hold substrate and plants and wide and long enough to hold base of cage)

tall plants (ficus, schleffera, royal palm)

ground cover plants (mustard is a good choice)

ok i am going to have the cage built with everything but the bottom. i am going to fill the rubbermaid bin with organic soil and plant my tall plants first straight into the soil (there is a reason you should plant them into the soil)
then you cover their roots with soil. make sure you havent filled the rubbermaid container to the rim.then you start spreading the mustard seeds where ever there is bare patches of soil left. when the mustard has grown dense you have the bottom of your cage full of asthetically pleasing, humidity increasing, edible ground cover. you are utilizing more space in your cage because of the absence of the pots. you wont have to clean the poop because the mistings will wash it into the soil. and the chameleon will feel more under cover and will have more drinking opportunities with the plants and if it likes can have a healthy snack

for best results cup feed your chameleon and have a mist-king

if you use my idea please post pics:D

Does the excess water drain out of the rubbermaid tub somehow? I would think that if you didn't have a method for removing the excess water from the tub it would build up quickly and overflow, or drown the plants. I think for most plants the soil needs some time to dry out a little, and not be completely soaked 24/7.
Otherwise, it sounds like it would make a very natural looking and aesthetically pleasing environment for a chameleon.

you can add a drainage layer with screen to seperate the soil and hydroton or whatever u use on the bottom if you want. if you do put a pvc pipe in the corner that goes all the way down into the drainage layer so when you need to you may pump out the water. I dont know if you will need the drainage layer because of all the plants but i would do it as a precaution

Personally, I think the inconvenience would outweigh the aesthetic benefits, though it does sound like it would look very nice. Have you talked to any Europeans or others who may be experienced with implementing substrates? There is that drainage issue, especially with all the hydrating a screen cage would necessitate.

um, cleaning...

So you are not planning on cleaning the crap out of the bed of mustard? This will become a problem, I bet. The urates will eventually begin to affect the soil and the plants badly. Bacterial levels in the soil will start to generate smells.

It does not sound like a hygenic and practical cage plan to me.

There are good reasons that substrate is not generally used with larger chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom