Controlling night time temperatures for your chameleon room?

CodyJ108

Being a Floridian, night time temperatures are typically high during the summer. I'm trying to prepare for a Panther Chameleon down the line, and I want to get everything right before I even purchase one. It's usually 70-75*F throughout the whole night, maybe except for the winter. In my case, I don't really have access to controlling the temperature throughout the entire house, but I'm researching ways to control the temp so I can lower it down to the low 60s. I'm leaning towards getting a Mini Split AC, or just a Portable AC, but I'm not really knowledgeable in these things, so I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues and found an efficient resolution (I have been recommended Window Units as well, but unfortunately my windows are too small to fit a Unit like that).

So I guess my question ultimately boils down to if anyone has any recommendations or perhaps alternative solutions. As far as costs go, I'm fine with dropping money on these things. All it'll really affect is how soon I get a chameleon.

I feel your pain. I'm in Orlando in an old duplex with horrible insulation. It's a struggle getting the AC down to 65 each night for fogging...then we're all so cold in the morning. 😂 I'm about to break down and buy a unit that just has a hose going out the window like @kinyonga mentioned.

Being a Floridian, night time temperatures are typically high during the summer. I'm trying to prepare for a Panther Chameleon down the line, and I want to get everything right before I even purchase one. It's usually 70-75*F throughout the whole night, maybe except for the winter. In my case, I don't really have access to controlling the temperature throughout the entire house, but I'm researching ways to control the temp so I can lower it down to the low 60s. I'm leaning towards getting a Mini Split AC, or just a Portable AC, but I'm not really knowledgeable in these things, so I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues and found an efficient resolution (I have been recommended Window Units as well, but unfortunately my windows are too small to fit a Unit like that).

So I guess my question ultimately boils down to if anyone has any recommendations or perhaps alternative solutions. As far as costs go, I'm fine with dropping money on these things. All it'll really affect is how soon I get a chameleon.
If you can get down to 70, you should be good.

I use my mister to both raise nighttime humidity and lower temperature into the 60s via evaporative cooling.

A small AC unit is fine too.

Also in Florida and have a good central ac unit. However, having all of my reptiles in one room, their lights turn it into an oven. I have a portable ac unit with the vent tubing out the window. Works great!

Also in Florida and have a good central ac unit. However, having all of my reptiles in one room, their lights turn it into an oven. I have a portable ac unit with the vent tubing out the window. Works great!
With central, you can also get your system rebalanced to account for that room.

I just gotta say, I love the attitudes in this forum. Everybody's focused on the best well being for the chameleons they are caretaking for. I know that everyone has different financial situations, however everyone SHOULD know that these wonder creatures are NOT cheap in any area. The purchase of the actual chameleon, is prob the cheapest. It breaks my heart to see the poor conditions some are kept in. Although we only get the care for them a short few years, that doesn't mean that they should be neglected or mistreated. I don t care, I truly believe although they are cold blooded, they have feelings and warm hearts. Plz love on them as much possible thru their husbandry, your all they got!!!

I use a portable that vents out a window because I can not use an actual window unit due to the HOA rules. These are more expensive then the window units though. I prefer the window units over the vented portable units. They cool faster because they do not recycle the air in the room and the portable heats up the area. But these would be your two best options. Then you do not have to cool the entire house.

Curious, if you’re in Florida, why not just keep them outside?

Speaking for myself I rent a duplex and don't have a safe place to create an outdoor enclosure that would give my Veiled the temps, humidity, misting, etc that is ideal. Also just because Veileds have established themselves as feral in Florida doesn't mean the conditions are optimal for them. I have more control with my dragonstrand and all my automated gadgets.

Back
Top Bottom