Confusing first vet visit for a veiled

Sharon12

Established Member
Just took my 6 mon old veiled chameleon Etosha for her first vet visit. She weighs 78 grams, well formed bones, good demeanor and strong grip. Also left a fecal. However some confusing advice I would like clarification on please
1. She said I need a weekly vitamin supplement but I use repashy calcium plus LoD. Isn't that complete with vitamins? Including A in retinol form?
2. She said rather than gutload with fresh calcium rich foods as per the chart I should use one of these: Mazini a better bug diet or T-Rex high calcium diet. She said they taste bad so can't combine with fresh food or bugs won't eat it
3. I have highest temp at around 85 to 87 as Etosha is a female and I want to keep her on cooler side to avoid eggs. She said should be nearer 90.
4. She recommended spaying for minimum $500 but said she had never spayed a chameleon although she is exotic vet recommended by a friend who owns a bearded. She said the female might only live a year.
I find this all confusing do appreciate any insight. At least she is healthy and growing well for now.

Just took my 6 mon old veiled chameleon Etosha for her first vet visit. She weighs 78 grams, well formed bones, good demeanor and strong grip. Also left a fecal. However some confusing advice I would like clarification on please
1. She said I need a weekly vitamin supplement but I use repashy calcium plus LoD. Isn't that complete with vitamins? Including A in retinol form?
2. She said rather than gutload with fresh calcium rich foods as per the chart I should use one of these: Mazini a better bug diet or T-Rex high calcium diet. She said they taste bad so can't combine with fresh food or bugs won't eat it
3. I have highest temp at around 85 to 87 as Etosha is a female and I want to keep her on cooler side to avoid eggs. She said should be nearer 90.
4. She recommended spaying for minimum $500 but said she had never spayed a chameleon although she is exotic vet recommended by a friend who owns a bearded. She said the female might only live a year.
I find this all confusing do appreciate any insight. At least she is healthy and growing well for now.
Sorry mazuri bug diet

Sorry to add to your confusion but I disagree with everything your vet said.

1. Many keepers have successfully been using the single repashy products--even breeders.

2. Variety is best in almost every aspect if life. Veggies and commercial gutload can absolutely be used congruently.

3. You got it a lower basking should help with lower egg production. My girls first clutch was only 17 eggs.

4. I dont see a reason. I am a first time chameleon keeper and I got my female from a petco she laid her first clutch fine.

I battled with my vet for a bit but eventually he listened. He had me giving her an insanely high dose of vitamin d under a 10.0 light. They're not always right and tbh lurk the forums as much as possible and use your best judgement.

Not all exotics vets know about chameleon care. Most of them specialize more in birds and other exotics and probably don’t see chams that often. The vet I go to is very knowledgeable about chams but they have also gave me some questionable advice at times.

Vet is probably not familiar with the ingredients in Repashy products it has retinol and beta carotene.
It's not a bad used to rotate gut loads. By any chance does this vet sell these products?
You already know the answer to this.
It would be a good idea to have an emergency fund handy incase she does get egg bound but even experienced vets have complications with this surgery. I would be very desperate before I would hand my chameleon and money off to someone who hasn't done any on chameleons.

Vet is probably not familiar with the ingredients in Repashy products it has retinol and beta carotene.
It's not a bad used to rotate gut loads. By any chance does this vet sell these products?
You already know the answer to this.
It would be a good idea to have an emergency fund handy incase she does get egg bound but even experienced vets have complications with this surgery. I would be very desperate before I would hand my chameleon and money off to someone who hasn't done any on chameleons.
No she doesn't sell them but good question. Thanks for response.

Back
Top Bottom