Concerned about cutter Jackson chameleon

Cutter is his name and First I know he’s really skinny I got him from a pet shop I’ve had him for a week and sometimes he eat sometimes he doesn’t today he ate four crickets but I’m starting to notice when he walks he seems really Wiggley meaning slow like his bones have trouble grabbing things only reason I’m holding him in these pictures is because he comes to me whenever I pull out my hand but even in his cage he seem distressed mind you this is my first chameleon and I’m seriously concerned I just got home from work can anybody give me feed back

Attachments

• E5E7C040-FC45-4522-8B32-36E2EA53F682.jpeg
    E5E7C040-FC45-4522-8B32-36E2EA53F682.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 7C81DBD0-0278-4002-B33F-E455CAD8CF52.jpeg
    7C81DBD0-0278-4002-B33F-E455CAD8CF52.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 0C05EA5C-B3F3-408D-B577-8BCD3C7DF0A2.jpeg
    0C05EA5C-B3F3-408D-B577-8BCD3C7DF0A2.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 98E0F073-C50D-4AC1-BC00-DF18559983AF.jpeg
    98E0F073-C50D-4AC1-BC00-DF18559983AF.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 88
  • A53B8662-1124-4433-A437-29D9E5BCC509.jpeg
    A53B8662-1124-4433-A437-29D9E5BCC509.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson, I’ve had him for a week going on two
  • Handling - Today and the day before to rearrange his cage and the first day he got home
  • Feeding - crickets
  • Supplements - i just started his calcium without d3 every other day and haven’t gave him his relativity with D3 yet
  • Watering - i have a mist king that I filtered water in it and it goes off 3 times a day first 3 mins at 8:30. Second one is at 12 for 3 mins and the 3 is at 5:30 for 4 mins and I do not ever see him drinking due to me being at work when it goes off I will see this weekend if he does since this will be the first official weekend id have him for also when I first wake up I mist with my filter spray bottle on the plants just in case he is thirsty
  • Fecal Description - slightly orange but thoughts are due to him still getting adjusted
  • History - the pet store couldn’t tell me anything because they didn’t no… shameful

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - extra large screen cage I’ll add the photos
  • Lighting - lighting in the extra photos but the basking buld 100w reptile light
  • Temperature - 69 sometimes in middle 70s after mister lowest at night is 68 I know because I have a gun thing that tells me the temp when I point at it
  • Humidity - sometimes 40 but mainly 60’s and 70’s
  • Plants - corn plant and a Lucca also in picture
  • Placement - he is sat up high no vent is near him in our guest bed room which no one is in but he is near a window
  • Location - I live in Florida

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ps-new-jackson-chameleon.183089/#post-1673140

Have you followed all the recommendations from the post above?

And while he does look skinny, he doesn't look deathly skinny. It is definitely concerning that he hardly eats and seems weak. He looks like a kenyan export, so he probably has parasites. For parasite treatment, you need to visit a vet. Then they'll give you some sort of medication that you can apply yourself.

Let the humidity dip down into the 30-50% range during the day and then aim for 75%+ humidity at night. You have a mistking which should allow for an easy transition. This schedule is what chameleons have in the wild. And assuming he is an import, this will make him more at ease. Does he run away from the mist?

And have you given him D3 since he's been in your care? If not, you could dust a few feeders with D3 and feed offer them to him. His apparent weakness may be from a lack of D3. He doesn't have edema so I doubt he's been getting overdosed with d3.

I'll add more later if no one else responds. I've gtg

I don’t know if you’ve ever kept chameleons before or not but they do kind of wiggle when they walk because they imitate the wind ruffling leaves. Im not an expert and I’m new here but I have kept Jackson’s chameleons before although it was 20 years ago. I just got a new Jackson’s as well.

True, they do leaf walk which is where they sway back and forth to imitate leaves swaying in the wind. How does his grip feel when he holds your fingers? Should feel almost painful when they hold onto you. You can tilt your hand to see if he readjusts his grip, but don't let him fall if his grip is too weak. Does he stay upright on branches?

True, they do leaf walk which is where they sway back and forth to imitate leaves swaying in the wind. How does his grip feel when he holds your fingers? Should feel almost painful when they hold onto you. You can tilt your hand to see if he readjusts his grip, but don't let him fall if his grip is too weak. Does he stay upright on branches?
His grip is painful still when he was on my hand maybe I’m just really anxious and nervous about it but I think I will take them to the vet to make sure he doesn’t have parasites since I got them from the pet store and he could’ve been imported from somewhere I’m not really sure they didn’t tell me much and I will be starting his D3 treatment tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom