Completely covering my enclosure in shower curtains

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
In order to achieve the humidity levels my Jackson’s needs at night I have to mist his enclosure heavily and then wrap all four sides in shower curtains. The top remains open. Is this okay to do? During the day I keep the shower curtains open so that the front and one half of each side is not covered So that he has plenty of airflow. I also generally have the window next to him open all night and all day Unless the outside temps are to high, then I close the window and turn on the air conditioner. Is this okay to do?

In order to achieve the humidity levels my Jackson’s needs at night I have to mist his enclosure heavily and then wrap all four sides in shower curtains. The top remains open. Is this okay to do? During the day I keep the shower curtains open so that the front and one half of each side is not covered So that he has plenty of airflow. I also generally have the window next to him open all night and all day Unless the outside temps are to high, then I close the window and turn on the air conditioner. Is this okay to do?
You have to have the bottom service panel clear for proper airflow creating the chimney effect. This is especially important at night because high humidity requires air circulation. No air circulation and you end up with risk of an RI.

I will have to get a battery operated fan to put on top because all my electrical outlets are taken up. Will do that tomorrow.

Now my humidity levels are like 71%. I can’t keep them up with the front open. Not sure what to do.
So you do not need to get to 100% at night. Honestly that is near impossible unless you have a totally sealed area. Which again is not recommended due to airflow that is needed.

No, I thought I only had to do that if I ran an ultrasonic humidifier into the enclosure
Moving air is a good thing. you do not want stagnant air in an enclosure and with how much your sealing off the cage day and night I would recommend it. I do not fog right now instead I am running longer misting sessions. But I still have a small PC fan on top to pull air up and out of the enclosure because I do have a hybrid cage with the only screen being the service door and the top.

Ok thank you. I’m going to be doing some research on humidity ranges to so I’ll figure it out one way or the other. thanks for all your great info.

Moving air is a good thing. you do not want stagnant air in an enclosure and with how much your sealing off the cage day and night I would recommend it. I do not fog right now instead I am running longer misting sessions. But I still have a small PC fan on top to pull air up and out of the enclosure because I do have a hybrid cage with the only screen being the service door and the top.

On top as in sitting on top of the cage? Considering getting a PC fan to help with airflow (I’ll need to cover my cage sides too).

thank you missskittles! how many packages of that would I need to cover my 2x2x4 foot enclosure do you think? It’s not available right now but they’ll be getting it in in a month or so for winter I’m sure. What is a pc fan? Also why do you need a fan that runs off a pc anyway? I would use a small battery operated fan. I didnt grow up with computers and all this stuff so I don’t get it. I may seem stupid but really I’m not. Also I’m assuming if I put a fan on top of my enclosure I’m laying it so it draws the air up and out, not down into the enclosure, right?

On top as in sitting on top of the cage? Considering getting a PC fan to help with airflow (I’ll need to cover my cage sides too).
Yes, but if you have even a few square inches of screen exposed below the door, it should be enough to generate chimney effect, making a fan unnecessary.

Muffin fans can be gotten temperature or humidity controlled—to turn on & off within certain programmable ranges. I got one from The Cooler Guys for my bearded dragon enclosure.

What is a pc fan? Also why do you need a fan that runs off a pc anyway? I would use a small battery operated fan. I didnt grow up with computers and all this stuff so I don’t get it. I may seem stupid but really I’m not. Also I’m assuming if I put a fan on top of my enclosure I’m laying it so it draws the air up and out, not down into the enclosure, right?
It's a euphemism for a muffin fan. Muffin fans are what's used inside a PC to draw air through them to keep the chips cool. That's where many/most first encounter them, so... PC fan. :)

It doesn't have to run off of a PC; there are different types—some can just plug into an outlet. They can come switched or unswitched, powerful & less powerful (rated in how many cubic feet per minute of air they can move), some are "quiet" or even "ultra-quiet". I prefer the latter for reptile enclosures.

Yes.

You're definitely not stupid. Each of us has knowledge & talents based on our educations, a/vocations, and other life experience.

Yes, exactly on top of the top screen sitting on the cage with the air flow going up NOT into the cage. This helps pull air from the bottom to the top.

Back
Top Bottom