Completed new custom build for Norman...so proud of how it turned out!

Ceycham

Established Member
I got bored and needed a project so Norman (veiled male 2yrs old) got a cage upgrade. Basically found a cool curio cabinet used, and built out the back (since it was only 10 " deep) adding airflow via screen and some repurposed antique louvered shutters (keeps the cats off the screens and lets me direct visibility and airflow). Coated the inside with clear FlexSeal and poured it on a tilt to grade the bottom for drainage to the back. Mistking and drainage are housed in the lower half of the back portion that was built on by me. Crickets got a housing upgrade also to look pretty in the bottom portion as it's visible for all to see. Painted to better match my decor and Norman moved in yesterday. Too soon to tell if he approves...he's still exploring...

Attachments

• IMG_7747.JPG
    IMG_7747.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_5070.JPG
    IMG_5070.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_8707.JPG
    IMG_8707.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6571.JPG
    IMG_6571.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_5546.JPG
    IMG_5546.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6828.JPG
    IMG_6828.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_9759.JPG
    IMG_9759.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 206
I was considering converting a curio before I Built mine as they look great when completed properly such as you have done.
Good job

Nice work. I enjoy repurposing old furniture. I'm quite impressed with the use of the shutter.... that's pure brilliance! I'm totally going to steal that.
I wasn't sure I was going to like the shutters when I first started adding them. They seemed clunky and I wanted a smother slightly more modern look....but I liked the IDEA of them, and they protect the screen behind them from cat claws....then I got the idea to flip them around....you are actually seeing the backs of shutters. The mechanism for moving the shutters up and down is facing the inside now. I can still move them with my fingers, and the look is so much less bulky now.

Was not expecting to be able to pull off the white color, but it goes great with the house trim, and the six rolls of TP that im kinda guessing on use...

Haha I wasn't sure I could pull off the white either, but my desk on the opposite side of the room is white with different wood stained drawers. Very mid century modern. i was going for a match to that look, since it had to be painted to hide the fact I built on to it. I cleverly chose a white to match the TP since my kids will never take it downstairs like they were asked and it's therefore a permanent fixture there.. So that's why it works.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL

I was considering converting a curio before I Built mine as they look great when completed properly such as you have done.
Good job
If you or anyone lives near SE Iowa I have a spare curio similar to this one ready to be a chameleon house! I purchased it used then found this slightly bigger one and abandoned the original work piece. Now I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with it...lol

I wasn't sure I was going to like the shutters when I first started adding them. They seemed clunky and I wanted a smother slightly more modern look....but I liked the IDEA of them, and they protect the screen behind them from cat claws....then I got the idea to flip them around....you are actually seeing the backs of shutters. The mechanism for moving the shutters up and down is facing the inside now. I can still move them with my fingers, and the look is so much less bulky now.
While my wife does have cats, the squishy face kind aren't really what I'd call "energetic". They like to sit in front of the beardies tank or my cricket bin and watch the crickets. Occasionally I'll give them one or two to chase.

My issue is actually sight lines. The ability to incorporate a shutter so I can control when/where they can see is perfect. I have 4 different custom cages. One is a giant hutch [which is actually 2 enclosure], the other was an entertainment stand [two big towers and the bridge]. I just have my wife watch Facebook for "free if you pick it up" stuff... really cuts the costs.

I've used different things to block off this part or that part, but my issue is that I don't want to obstruct the air flow. Being a general Contractor and previously a PM for a door and hardware company.... I can't believe the concept of louvers hasn't come to me sooner!

Either way, top notch work! Thanks again for the idea ; )

Back
Top Bottom