Complete Veiled Care Sheet

Veiled Care Sheet.

this is the one I made :) also, sorry this was done on Pages for Mac's.

As you can tell from the title of this page, this is a care sheet on Veiled Chameleons. To start off, the Veiled Chameleon is one of the most commonly kept species of Chameleon. In my honest opinion the Veiled Chameleon is quite possibly the best species of Chameleon to start out with. To start with the care you will want to have done a substantial amount of research on this reptile, make sure that you have the time, effort and can afford visits to the vet and for food. The Veiled Chameleon is an arboreal type reptile, which means that they live high up in trees away from predators. They are originally from regions of Yemen and Saudi Arabia.

When you have fully research Veiled Chameleons and you know for sure that you will be able to care for their needs its time for you to start buying the supplies. When looking around to buy supplies you will want to check out local pet stores such as Petsmart, and Petco, you can also look at online reptile supply stores such as LLLreptile.com and many more. first of all, you will want to make sure you can get a screen cage that will be able to house an adult Veiled Chameleon. A supplies list that you might want to make is:

-Screen Cage
-Lighting
-Plants
-Watering
-Food
-Supplements
-Book on how to Care for the Chameleon

Screen Cage: When you are shopping for a screen cage you will want to make sure that it is large enough to house an adult Veiled Chameleon. Males are generally larger than Females. The best size of cage to purchase is a 24"x24"x48" screen enclosure.

Lighting: Lighting is very essential for a Veiled Chameleon to grow and prosper. Since they aren't out in the wild they need both UVA/UVB lighting. The Zoo Med Repti-Sun 5.0 is the most used bulb for a Chameleon, also you want a basking bulb for the Chameleon such as a 40 to 75 watt regular house bulb. You will also want to purchase the right sized light fixture that you can buy from any hardware store or Wal-Mart.

Plants: The best plants that you can get for a Veiled Chameleon and any other Chameleon would be the Ficus Tree, Schefflera Arboricola, and the Hibiscus plant. Make sure that these plants are pesticide free and to cover the soil will river rocks to large for them to swallow so the Chameleon doesn't eat the dirt, this could cause impaction and cost you a vet visit.

Watering: When you are getting supplies for your Chameleon to drink keep in mind that they don't drink from standing water. They will only drink water dripping from leaves, the best thing to get is a water dripper to run all day while you are at school, work etc. Also a misting bottle, because they need to be misted at least 2 to 3 times a day, your other option would be an automatic mister that you can purchase online.

Food: Food for any Chameleon excluding the Pygmy Chameleon would be crickets, superworms, hornworms, butterworms, waxworms, and dubia cockroaches. When feeding these to your Chameleon you want to make sure that they are gutloaded (fed with fruits and veggies) before dusting them and feeding them to your Chameleon, also you want to dust the insects before you feed them to the Chameleon. *NOTE* Chameleons are Insectivores which means they eat mostly live insects, also they are one of the few chameleons that are omnivores.They regularly eat greens.

Supplements: When you are supplementing you Chameleons food you will need to purchase Regular Calcium without D3, Calcium with D3, and Multi-Vitamin. You need to dust the feeders with these supplements. Also make a dusting schedule for your Chameleon.

Books: In my personal opinion I think its best to have a few Chameleon books laying around just in case I need something to refer to. You can purchase these books at any book store and pet store.

Lifespan: This species of Chameleon can live up to 5+ years so make sure that you will be able to keep it for its whole life.

Temperatures: When you are trying to get the correct temps for the Chameleon it shouldn't be too hard. Their air temp. throughout the cage should be between 75-80 degrees, basking should be about 85 degrees and at night make sure that it doesn't go below 65 degrees. When you are figuring out the humidity of the cage it should be above 60%. For this you will need a thermometer, a digital one works the best, and for humidity you will need a hygrometer.

hey man, nice type up yourself. your sheet reminded me that i didnt write a temperatures section :eek::p i hope i caught that before anyone read it. haha. pygmys can however eat the following you excluded away, Pygmys can eat them as lavae hatchlings and roach nymphs.

very very helpful for a newbie like me...
I want to buy the perfect choice of lighting and heating....
I usually buy at amazon or lllreptile.
Im getting a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches.
what would you exactly recommend me to buy? (including brand, bulbs, and everything...)
(its just that im not really good at english and Im having a really hard time trying to find all the stuff... the exact name and brand will make it thousand times easier for me)... :S

Thanks sooooo much!

very very helpful for a newbie like me...
I want to buy the perfect choice of lighting and heating....
I usually buy at amazon or lllreptile.
Im getting a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches.
what would you exactly recommend me to buy? (including brand, bulbs, and everything...)
(its just that im not really good at english and Im having a really hard time trying to find all the stuff... the exact name and brand will make it thousand times easier for me)... :S

Thanks sooooo much!

glad you found my info helpful! i have stated the recommended brands in the care sheet.

thank you so much.
Yes, it was really helpful for me...
I'll buy everything this week, and start getting plants and stuff... =)
I just have one more question...
its about the basking light...
I see that theres a zoo med heating lamp that costs around 15 - 20 dlls.
In your post, you said something about a regular house 40 - 70 watt.
will it be the same if I get the house bulb, does it really makes a difference?
thanks so much once more!

an incandescent house bulb, is the same as an incandescent reptile bulb. reason why they costs so much is 1) the label, 2) different tightness of light beam. house bulbs will give you a much wider range of heat, where some reptile heat bulbs are made to only focus heat beams in one or a much smaller area. either way, incandescent house bulbs work the same, are much cheaper, and come in a broader range of wattages. jmo at least

Oh ok! great!
that will earn me several couple of bucks at year! xD
and... what about the Repti-Sun 5.0? .. LLLreptile only has repti-sun 10.0
will that help? or should it be better for me to buy it from somewhere else?
again, thanks so much for your quick feedback!!!

check out www.pangeareptiles.com (they are a site sponsor as well), they have the cheapest reptiSUN 5.0 right now, so i would order from them, they have them at the price of 15$ i think for any length light you want. they are located in grand rapids michigan so im not sure how much shipping would be, but i wouldnt imagine too much at all.

awesome!
thanks so much!
Ill see If i can still get lllreptile to match price and get the 5% off ...
they say that in their webpage xD
thanks soooooo much!!! I really appreciate it!
Ill upload enclosure pictures as soon as I get all the stuff :)

I wonder why the forum wont let me take a look at the care sheet toh... :S
would it be because Im a newbie?

10.0 is designed for reptiles requiring larger amounts of UVB, reptiles that are in exposed to much more open sun (bearded dragons, collard lizards). 10.0 is also reffered to as a dessert uvb light. 5.0 is for reptiles that require or exposed to a lot less open sun, (tropical reptiles), and 2.0s are not UVB bulbs (from my understanding), but rather UVA which equivelents to daylight, they produce UVA rays which aid to plant growth, and allow the reptile to see daylight spectrums, this properly cycles the chameleon's day and night time.

(edit) daylight 6500K bulbs are the same thing as 2.0s and a heck of alot cheaper too.

I have a question about the night temperature. I have read in other places that as long as it doesn't get below 60 or 55. My cham's cage gets to be about 60-63 ish at night. Is that really too low? :\

Back
Top Bottom