Colorfull female.. Good or Bad

quikksilver8

Hey guys just coming to you with another question. My female veiled has been showing some nice colors lately. Does that mean she is pregnant, or can females show colors?

We have a young veiled female who has the nice bland coloring. But recently we picked up a mature (14.5 inches, 125g) female. She lit up with bright robins egg blue stripes and spots on a green background, with a splattering of large, light gold blotches. She was broadcasting receptive coloring. I tried to get photos of it, but she is so shy she would change her coloring when we handled her or when she saw the camera. We put her with Guido, our male veiled, and bingo. About mid morning the next day she took on the dark coloring of a gravid female. We are now working at taking the right (hopefully- and with the help of the information on this forum) steps to help her produce a successful, healthy clutch.

How do I tell if she is pregnant for sure. The reson I'm worried is because I'm affraid she is too small to lay eggs. Any tips would be appreciated.

I finally got some pics up. What are the chances of me losing her if she is gravid. I need some help, dont really know what to do. She is about 5 inches without her tail.

Attachments

• IMG_02800.jpg
    IMG_02800.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 81
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0282p.jpg
    IMG_0282p.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 155
I don't know much about a veileds color when they are gravid, but she does look large in the third pic. (But I have never breed veileds so don't take my word for it) But I would make sure you have some deep container in her cage filled with sand or soil (or a mix of the two) at least 8 inches deep for her to lay in. If she is gravid and ready to lay she would start digging holes in the soil. They will sometimes dig for a while before they actually lay. She doesn't look all that small to me, but then again I have never worked with veileds(I do want to get one someday though). I haven't looked at any of your previous post so I am sorry if I ask questions that have already been posted, I am lazy :) But here are some of the questions I have 1) how old is she 2) Has she ever been introduce to a male and/or breed and 3)How long have you had her for??

Like I said I have never bred veileds and I am def. not a pro, but I am sure the pros will be here shortly with their thoughts, I just thought I would share mine :) But I am hoping she is fine, and if she is still eating and drinking I am sure she will get through through this okay even if she is gravid!

Last edited:
I have had her for about 4 months and i bought her at about 1-2 months old. She has been introduced to a male. I'm just affraid she is to young to lay. I have no experience in breeding and need quite a bit of help. I just dont want to lose her.

Chances are you wont lose her as long you give her an adequate place to lay her eggs. if you have had her for 4 months and you bought her when she was about 2 months that would put her at around 6 months. Veileds as far as I can remember can become gravid then, although it is usually recommended to wait until they are around a year old. Like I said in the previous post, the first thing you should do is set up a laying container. I would rec. using something that is a foot deep (or even deeper if needed.) I used a flower pot for my female filled with a soil mixture. Once you see her digging the most important thing is to leave her alone. I looked at the pictures in your gallery and I saw 2 chameleons in the same cage. I am not sure if the male stays in the same cage as her or not, but if so you really need to get him out of there. (I am sure if this is the case just trying to hit all bases :) )Chameleons are very picky creatures and will only lay there eggs if they are in an enviroment that they think will be safe for the eggs. Knowing that she has been introduced to a male, and has the robin blue dots on her would lead me to believe that she is gravid. I think the best advice I could give you is to go through the breeding forum and read past threads, I did that and it was a very good learning tool! But I wish you guys the best of luck, and just make sure her food is getting dusted with calcium, because if a chameleon doesn't have enough calcium stored to make eggs their body can be drained of it in the process and end up with MBD. (I am pretty sure that is how it goes if not please correct me :) )

Good luck!!
Dani

Back
Top Bottom