Coloration

danny_cham

Established Member
If any of you have read my previous threads, you know my boy Danny hasn’t always had the easiest life. He came from a chain pet store and then the previous owner kept in on a very noisy college dorm. The pet store also advertised he was a female at the time of his sale.
084CCB4E-B1D0-4CA0-ABEB-9C9A3B6F7B69.jpeg

5CD171E7-2B31-40B6-8C11-F5A03F4D2BE4.jpeg

In the past few days I’ve started to see him showing off more colors/patterns! It’s been very subtle. I wasn’t even sure what I was looking at at first. I wish I had a better picture but he had some red tones coming through yesterday.

I’m hoping this is a good sign. The first picture was pretty much a week after I got him. That’s how his colors look most of the time.
Second picture was taken just a couple hours ago.

I’m hoping to eventually be able to determine what locale he is! I tried to find where this particular pet store sources their chameleons, but my search came up empty. I’ll likely never know his full background. I might not even know his true age. They said he was around 1, but they also told the previous owner that he was a she so I’m taking that with a grain of salt.

If any of you have read my previous threads, you know my boy Danny hasn’t always had the easiest life. He came from a chain pet store and then the previous owner kept in on a very noisy college dorm. The pet store also advertised he was a female at the time of his sale.
View attachment 324101
View attachment 324100
In the past few days I’ve started to see him showing off more colors/patterns! It’s been very subtle. I wasn’t even sure what I was looking at at first. I wish I had a better picture but he had some red tones coming through yesterday.

I’m hoping this is a good sign. The first picture was pretty much a week after I got him. That’s how his colors look most of the time.
Second picture was taken just a couple hours ago.

I’m hoping to eventually be able to determine what locale he is! I tried to find where this particular pet store sources their chameleons, but my search came up empty. I’ll likely never know his full background. I might not even know his true age. They said he was around 1, but they also told the previous owner that he was a she so I’m taking that with a grain of salt.
he is so beautiful! i love the hint of blue on his head!!

I bet he will look really good in time. Drive the girls crazy with that hint of blue ;)

If you have a large plant near a bright window, try to put him in it temporarily and see if you see any color change. I have found that my chameleons get very colorful when they get a new plant and a blast of rays. I like to think they are happy colors.

If you have a large plant near a bright window, try to put him in it temporarily and see if you see any color change. I have found that my chameleons get very colorful when they get a new plant and a blast of rays. I like to think they are happy colors.
I do have a plant near a window! I’ll have to see if he’d like to climb on it

Windows deflect uv rays…….for reference of an adequate size cage for him…..these are my female cages…5 feet high by 24” x 24”
I’m working on getting him a bigger cage. Unfortunately I had some car troubles and the new parts were nearly $500☹️
Thankfully I get paid soon and his upgraded enclosure is the next purchase I’ll make

Theres alot of diy build cage threads……I’m a carpenter by trade so it takes me 4 hours to build out of raw materials…

He looks like either an Ankaramy or Tamatave, potentially crossed with a common Ambilobe. The almost checkered patterns and the very prominent lateral stripe are giveaways for me. I've been looking for those locales for some time, but everybody breeds Ambilobes xD Definitely try the sunlight trick, I had an ambilobe panther years ago who was soot brown in rest, but he fired up to be a white body-blue bar stunner! Super unique animal, good luck with yours!

He looks like either an Ankaramy or Tamatave, potentially crossed with a common Ambilobe. The almost checkered patterns and the very prominent lateral stripe are giveaways for me. I've been looking for those locales for some time, but everybody breeds Ambilobes xD Definitely try the sunlight trick, I had an ambilobe panther years ago who was soot brown in rest, but he fired up to be a white body-blue bar stunner! Super unique animal, good luck with yours!
It’s been so cloudy the past few days I haven’t been able to try the sunlight thing haha.
I’m hoping he’s ankaramy because I think they’re gorgeous, but either way I’ll be happy no matter what! He’s being taken to the vet tomorrow so maybe I’ll receive some more advice as to how to restore his colors.
I’m stilling learning about chameleons and the locales. I’ve been looking at pictures and trying to determine what he could be but it’s been difficult. He definitely has some red undertones that really show through at times, especially when I let him out of his enclosure. His head is such a vibrant blue/green

It’s been so cloudy the past few days I haven’t been able to try the sunlight thing haha.
I’m hoping he’s ankaramy because I think they’re gorgeous, but either way I’ll be happy no matter what! He’s being taken to the vet tomorrow so maybe I’ll receive some more advice as to how to restore his colors.
I’m stilling learning about chameleons and the locales. I’ve been looking at pictures and trying to determine what he could be but it’s been difficult. He definitely has some red undertones that really show through at times, especially when I let him out of his enclosure. His head is such a vibrant blue/green
Well I hope the sun comes out soon!
Check out this page for some super detailed info on locales:
https://www.madcham.de/en/category/chamaeleons-habitatsdaten/lokalformen-von-furcifer-pardalis/
You'll have to translate it from german, but it's a treasure trove of information.

Update on Danny after today’s vet visit! Everything looked great although they asked me to bring In a fecal.
When I first got Danny I was told he was a she.
6E7C0B39-4379-476F-BE5C-91528F19AD30.png

This was the picture I showed on this forum and we collectively decided she was he. Danny.

Well today at the vet they noticed ‘he’ didn’t have tarsal Spurs. They sexed him and turns out it’s a she after all. Apparently just a very large she.

I had thought I was seeing sperm deposits. There’s definitely some white substance coming from her that isn’t urate. And it looks a lot like a sperm deposit.

Update on Danny after today’s vet visit! Everything looked great although they asked me to bring In a fecal.
When I first got Danny I was told he was a she. View attachment 324206
This was the picture I showed on this forum and we collectively decided she was he. Danny.

Well today at the vet they noticed ‘he’ didn’t have tarsal Spurs. They sexed him and turns out it’s a she after all. Apparently just a very large she.

I had thought I was seeing sperm deposits. There’s definitely some white substance coming from her that isn’t urate. And it looks a lot like a sperm deposit.
That a boy! That’s disappointing coming from a vet.

That a boy! That’s disappointing coming from a vet.
I thought the same thing. I’m still not entirely convinced. But I saw the back of his/her feet and there didn’t seem to be any spurs. I guess I’m just all around confused haha. I’ll try to get a picture of the feet and the mysterious substance coming from the hemipenal area.

Back
Top Bottom